3.5 month old prefers the bottle--how to get him back to breast?

Old October 7th 06, 08:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
amy

Default 3.5 month old prefers the bottle--how to get him back to breast?

Hi,

My 3.5 month old son has lost interest in the breast, I think because
he prefers a bottle. Until a few days ago he was getting a 6oz bottle
of breastmilk once a day in the morning. Now he will only nurse when I
trick him into it while he is sleeping (naps and nighttime). To make
matters more interesting, if I try to sneak away while nursing at naps,
he wakes up.

If he is awake, even if clearly hungry, he will not eat--just latches
on and pulls away over and over until he starts getting ****ed.

We tested my theory by offering a bottle one day when he looked hungry
but wouldn't nurse, and he sucked the whole thing down.

We took away the bottle three days ago, replacing it with a medicine
dropper (from which he will take 1.5-2oz). Then he is hungry until I
can cajole him to eat during his next nap.

Has anyone successfully brought their baby back to the breast after a
nursing strike like this?

Thanks!

Amy

Old October 7th 06, 08:28 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Beth Kevles

Hi --

Babies don't starve themselves to death, no matter how angry they get.
Get rid of the bottle AND the dropper, offer the breast ALL the time
(whether he seems hungry or not), and keep an eye on his diapers to make
sure he's not getting dehydrated.

My two cents,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old October 9th 06, 05:37 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

amy wrote:

We tested my theory by offering a bottle one day when he looked hungry
but wouldn't nurse, and he sucked the whole thing down.

Do you give him the bottle? If so, don't.
He needs to associate nursing with something
special, i.e., being held by Mama. If you
have to give him a bottle (nanny, husband,
grandma), make sure you use the slowest-
flowing nipple size.

You could also try pumping to the letdown,
then latch him on.

Other than that, I second Beth's advice: stop
all forms of supplementation devices. Just
nurse him.

-- Anita --
Old October 9th 06, 05:01 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

amy writes:
: Hi,

: My 3.5 month old son has lost interest in the breast, I think because
: he prefers a bottle. Until a few days ago he was getting a 6oz bottle
: of breastmilk once a day in the morning. Now he will only nurse when I
: trick him into it while he is sleeping (naps and nighttime). To make
: matters more interesting, if I try to sneak away while nursing at naps,
: he wakes up.

No wonder. Have you ever heard of nipple confustion and bottle preference?
The simplest way to stop it is to not offer the bottle at all. Ever.
Yes, he will complain and refuse the breast for a while, but he will learn
to take the breast and will forget about the bottle.

Larry