Progesterone Question

Old March 15th 05, 07:41 PM

Default Progesterone Question

Hi All,

For those of you following my posts, I have had IVF and my Beta levels
have been jumping up and down. I was told Friday that I was probably
losing this one after my levels went from 148to 113. I was told to
stop all meds. On Monday, my levels went to 278. The doctor does not
want me to go back on progesterone (my progesterone level Monday from
being off the meds for 2 days was 13). I called the dr today voiced my
wish to continue taking it until my next blood test this coming Monday.
He re-iterated that he did NOT want me to take it. He said basically
if I am going to lose the baby or if it is an ectopic that he doesn't
want me to prolong it. I stongly feel that I want to take it until we
see the next results to be sure. My question to you is will it harm me
to take it? Also, isn't low progesterone in itself a cause for
miscarriage? Any information you have would be appreciated. I hate to
not have full trust in my doctor, but my gut tells me to take the meds.

Thanks,
Nicole

Old March 15th 05, 09:24 PM
Marion

[...]

Me *personally*, I would definitely get a second opinion, but I'd keep
taking the progesterone in the mean time. That is what *I* would do in
your shoes, not a recommendation you understand. The fact that the beta
went back up would make me reluctant to give up so soon. If ectopic can
be ruled out, what harm is there in waiting another week or two to see
what the betas continue to do? As long as you keep in mind that your
doctor may ultimately prove to be right (i.e. prepare yourself mentally
for another IVF round. Do you have any embryos in storage after the
first go round?).

good luck!
Marion

Old March 15th 05, 09:43 PM

Hi marion,
I do not have any embryos left that could be frozen unfortunately. I
am going to continue the progesterone. The dr has not ruled out
ectopic, per se, but he thinks it is unlikely. I spoke to him again
today and he said if I felt that strongly that I wanted to take it then
it was OK. He just doesn't want me to help it along IF it is ectopic.
I am prepared that this is not viable and my gut is telling me the
same, but I just need to give it one more shot until next week.

Thanks,
Nicole

Old March 15th 05, 11:28 PM
medgirl

wrote in message
Hi marion,
I do not have any embryos left that could be frozen unfortunately. I
am going to continue the progesterone. The dr has not ruled out
ectopic, per se, but he thinks it is unlikely. I spoke to him again
today and he said if I felt that strongly that I wanted to take it then
it was OK. He just doesn't want me to help it along IF it is ectopic.
I am prepared that this is not viable and my gut is telling me the
same, but I just need to give it one more shot until next week.

I think this makes a lot of sense. It shouldn't cause you any harm to take
it for another couple of weeks, aside from the emotional stress of
continuing to wait and hope for a viable pregnancy. If it were me, I would
want to at least give things the best chance possible by taking the
progesterone.

Sarah

Old March 16th 05, 05:54 AM
Mamma Mia

"medgirl" wrote in message
wrote in message
Hi marion,
I do not have any embryos left that could be frozen unfortunately. I
am going to continue the progesterone. The dr has not ruled out
ectopic, per se, but he thinks it is unlikely. I spoke to him again
today and he said if I felt that strongly that I wanted to take it then
it was OK. He just doesn't want me to help it along IF it is ectopic.
I am prepared that this is not viable and my gut is telling me the
same, but I just need to give it one more shot until next week.

I think this makes a lot of sense. It shouldn't cause you any harm to
take it for another couple of weeks, aside from the emotional stress of
continuing to wait and hope for a viable pregnancy. If it were me, I
would want to at least give things the best chance possible by taking the
progesterone.

Sarah

no experience, but that all sounds sensible. Good luck nicole, thinking of
you

Old March 16th 05, 05:16 PM
KellyH

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If I were you, I would be inclined to take the progesterone as well. What
kind are you on? I was on injectible, and I actually had DH do a bit higher
of a dosage because I kept having bleeding and was paranoid.
Is it too early to do an ultrasound? I would think even if it's early, the
doctor could at least see if it's ectopic or not.
You may want to join us over at alt.infertility.pregnancy.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Question for Dr. Sarah Vaughan Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 5 October 25th 04 10:14 PM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM
question about progesterone levels Honey38ch Pregnancy 2 October 20th 03 05:27 PM