Low Amniotic Fluid

Old April 19th 05, 07:41 PM
Jennifer Howe

Default Low Amniotic Fluid

I went in for my 31 week sono today and they have found that I have low
amniotic fluid. They did a Non-stress test I had a feeling that this would
be done anyway. The baby is moving around great and everything but I'm a
bit worried about the amniotic fluid thing. Does anyone have any
information on why this could happen and how it could happen and what I can
do to help make more of it if possible.

Jennifer
Ariana 8/17/03
Alexander Nicholas Due June 1st (6 more weeks to go)

Old April 20th 05, 07:33 AM
Anne Rogers

I went in for my 31 week sono today and they have found that I have low
amniotic fluid. They did a Non-stress test I had a feeling that this
would
be done anyway. The baby is moving around great and everything but I'm a
bit worried about the amniotic fluid thing. Does anyone have any
information on why this could happen and how it could happen and what I
can
do to help make more of it if possible.

I'm not sure why it happens, I do know it can be a sign of the placenta
starting to deteriorate. The usual first suggestion is to make sure you are
drinking loads of water. Lots of baby movements is a good sign as these are
one of the first things to go if things are going wrong.

Cheers

Anne

Old April 20th 05, 07:47 AM
Emily

Jennifer Howe wrote:
I went in for my 31 week sono today and they have found that I have low
amniotic fluid. They did a Non-stress test I had a feeling that this would
be done anyway. The baby is moving around great and everything but I'm a
bit worried about the amniotic fluid thing. Does anyone have any
information on why this could happen and how it could happen and what I can
do to help make more of it if possible.

Hi Jennifer,

I've BTDT, though I doubt you're in the same situation I was in.
Mine was spotted (with Scheherazade at 17-18 weeks). A couple
of weeks later, there was no amniotic fluid, and we lost her.
But, you're much futher along, so I think worst case you're looking
at a slightly premature baby. The amniotic fluid is important
for several things, including (in the period immediately following
18 weeks, which I think you're probably past) lung development.
In my case, it was caused by a bad placenta ---- which probably
had been bad all along. I think it can also be related to kidney
problems in the fetus, but I'm not sure. The technical term is
oligohydramnios, if you want to do some googling.
I was advised, among other things, to take it easy (modified
bedrest, then bedrest) and drink lots of fluids,
with sugars and electrolytes (= gatorade).

Do you have a follow up scheduled with your OB? It sounds to
me like they haven't given you very much information yet. (Like
how low was it, what are the specific issues with low fluid
at this point in pg, what kind of further testing might you
have, what courses of action, etc.)

Please keep us posted,
Emily
--
DS 5/02
EDD Labor Day 9/5/05
Old April 20th 05, 09:31 AM

When my fluid has been slightly low at times they have told me to drink
lots of water. It is a good first step and hopefully will do the trick
for you.

KC

Old April 20th 05, 04:04 PM
Elle

Jennifer Howe wrote:
I went in for my 31 week sono today and they have found that I have

low
amniotic fluid. They did a Non-stress test I had a feeling that this

would
be done anyway. The baby is moving around great and everything but

I'm a
bit worried about the amniotic fluid thing. Does anyone have any
information on why this could happen and how it could happen and what

I can
do to help make more of it if possible.

Jennifer
Ariana 8/17/03
Alexander Nicholas Due June 1st (6 more weeks to go)

I had low fluid, detected when I was a week overdue, and was told that
at that point in pregnancy (i.e. later as opposed to earlier) it can be
a sign of decreasing placental function. Or it could be due to a slow
leak high in the bag of waters. Have you had any leaking fluid?

Did they say how low it is? Under 5 is very low, over 7 is normal. I
read that sometimes the level of amniotic fluid can be increased with
rest and the intake of a lot of water. In my case we induced labour
since I was overdue anyway. When they broke my water not very much came
out. The birth was fine and the baby was healthy and 8lbs 7oz.

Elle
Stella 2/23/2005