alternate bed for baby

Old March 31st 04, 09:17 PM
ted

Default alternate bed for baby

We have a crib which is in the master bedroom upstairs. We go upstairs
only to sleep at night. So during the day I want to get something
where the baby can sleep downstairs in the living room. I want
something that's elevated so that I don't have to bend a lot. I have
two choices. Please let me know which is the best.

1. Bassinet: I think bassinet looks very cute. This is probably my
last baby so I want to own a bassinet even if it's only for me I'm
looking for a place for the baby for atleast 7-8 months. When do
babies outgrow bassinets?

2. Pack n play with bassinet: The bassinet feature of pack n play
seems to be both ugly and flimsy. Also, I don't know what else I'll
use pack and play for when the baby outgrows the bassinet. Since these
tend to be more expensive I want to know for sure I'll be using it.

I'm not able to decide which one I should buy.

I don't want to buy anything that moves. My DD hated the cradle. She's
the lightest sleeper ever! If the new baby turns out to be anything
like the big sister I'm dead!

Thanks.
Old March 31st 04, 09:25 PM
Stephanie Stowe

"ted" wrote in message
om...
We have a crib which is in the master bedroom upstairs. We go upstairs
only to sleep at night. So during the day I want to get something
where the baby can sleep downstairs in the living room. I want
something that's elevated so that I don't have to bend a lot. I have
two choices. Please let me know which is the best.

1. Bassinet: I think bassinet looks very cute. This is probably my
last baby so I want to own a bassinet even if it's only for me I'm
looking for a place for the baby for atleast 7-8 months. When do
babies outgrow bassinets?

2. Pack n play with bassinet: The bassinet feature of pack n play
seems to be both ugly and flimsy. Also, I don't know what else I'll
use pack and play for when the baby outgrows the bassinet. Since these
tend to be more expensive I want to know for sure I'll be using it.

I like our pack n play with the bassinet. When the baby is small, it is a
long way to the bottom of the crib section to transfer a peacefully sleeping
baby. We also use the pack n play for a "playpen" in the living room. She
does not like the baby seat all the time. She likes to be able to move her
body. The floor is not safe for her since she has a 3yo brother and a dog.
She does not hang out there much, but it is more fun for her than a bouncy
seat.

We also travel to my family's. It is nice to have a place for DD to sleep.

Old March 31st 04, 09:26 PM
toypup

"ted" wrote in message
om...
We have a crib which is in the master bedroom upstairs. We go upstairs
only to sleep at night. So during the day I want to get something
where the baby can sleep downstairs in the living room. I want
something that's elevated so that I don't have to bend a lot. I have
two choices. Please let me know which is the best.

1. Bassinet: I think bassinet looks very cute. This is probably my
last baby so I want to own a bassinet even if it's only for me I'm
looking for a place for the baby for atleast 7-8 months. When do
babies outgrow bassinets?

I have a Badger Basket bassinet. I think the instructions say the limit is
15 lbs or when the baby rolls over. I know DS outgrew it early. DD is 7
weeks. She's a 35 weeks preemie and she looks like she will be too big for
it soon.

Old March 31st 04, 09:34 PM
Nikki

ted wrote:
We have a crib which is in the master bedroom upstairs. We go upstairs
only to sleep at night. So during the day I want to get something
where the baby can sleep downstairs in the living room.

I just saw this item mentioned in another group. I've never seen one but it
looks awesome in my opinion :-) Baby couldn't play in it like they could in
a pack-n-play though. I book marked in case I ever have a #3.

http://www.ambybaby.com/Home/

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old March 31st 04, 09:49 PM
Drop45

"ted" wrote in message
om...
We have a crib which is in the master bedroom upstairs. We go upstairs
only to sleep at night. So during the day I want to get something
where the baby can sleep downstairs in the living room. I want
something that's elevated so that I don't have to bend a lot. I have
two choices. Please let me know which is the best.

1. Bassinet: I think bassinet looks very cute. This is probably my
last baby so I want to own a bassinet even if it's only for me I'm
looking for a place for the baby for atleast 7-8 months. When do
babies outgrow bassinets?

my 2 children outgrew bassinet at 3-4 months - but they were big babies so
YMMV

2. Pack n play with bassinet: The bassinet feature of pack n play
seems to be both ugly and flimsy. Also, I don't know what else I'll
use pack and play for when the baby outgrows the bassinet. Since these
tend to be more expensive I want to know for sure I'll be using it.

i used the bassinet attachment on the graco pack n'play which maxed out at
15lbs - my babies were both over 10 lbs at birth so we didn't get too much
use out of it - but they can sleep in the bottom part without attachment.
then it becomes a port-a-crib and play pen (or playYARD to the annoying/PC
crowd)

why not pput the baby upstairs to sleep? we hang out 2 floors below the
bedrooms but i hear DD if she wakes up and cries, i check her on the video
monitor too or can peek through the slighjtly open door.

i read that it's rude to expect your baby to sleep where the action is. i
did it with DS who's 3 now with lousy sleep/nap habits.

there are TONS of used pack n'plays available - maybe you should get 1 2nd
hand?

Old March 31st 04, 10:13 PM
Cheryl S.

"ted" wrote in message
om...
When do
babies outgrow bassinets?

Julie outgrew it at 3 months, Jaden at one month. I'd borrow or buy
used if you go with a bassinet because they don't last long. The pack n
play is more practical long term because the mattress surface area is
much larger, though you'd have to bend way down to put the baby in and
out. My in-laws have a port-a-crib that a neighbor gave them for when
we visit. I think that is really what you should look for. It's
basically a small crib that folds away for storage, about the same size
as a p&p but the mattress is higher than in a p&p.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 6 months

Old March 31st 04, 10:43 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

ted wrote:

We have a crib which is in the master bedroom upstairs. We go upstairs
only to sleep at night. So during the day I want to get something
where the baby can sleep downstairs in the living room. I want
something that's elevated so that I don't have to bend a lot. I have
two choices. Please let me know which is the best.

1. Bassinet: I think bassinet looks very cute. This is probably my
last baby so I want to own a bassinet even if it's only for me I'm
looking for a place for the baby for atleast 7-8 months. When do
babies outgrow bassinets?

DD outgrew the bassinet by 5 months and she was pretty consistently at
the 50th percentile.

2. Pack n play with bassinet: The bassinet feature of pack n play
seems to be both ugly and flimsy. Also, I don't know what else I'll
use pack and play for when the baby outgrows the bassinet. Since these
tend to be more expensive I want to know for sure I'll be using it.

The bassinet would have the same weight limitation as above. We bought
a used PackNPlay and used it as a temporary sleeping place for DD. But
to be honest, with DS we just take him upstairs to the bedroom and let
him sleep in the crib, on our bed. If I'm feeling incredibly lazy, and
DS fell asleep while I was driving home, I put him down on the Living
room floor (carpeted) and let him sleep there.

Jeanne
Old March 31st 04, 11:20 PM
Ericka Kammerer

ted wrote:

We have a crib which is in the master bedroom upstairs. We go upstairs
only to sleep at night. So during the day I want to get something
where the baby can sleep downstairs in the living room. I want
something that's elevated so that I don't have to bend a lot. I have
two choices. Please let me know which is the best.

1. Bassinet: I think bassinet looks very cute. This is probably my
last baby so I want to own a bassinet even if it's only for me I'm
looking for a place for the baby for atleast 7-8 months. When do
babies outgrow bassinets?

Generally well before then. Once the baby can roll
over, they're no longer safe.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old March 31st 04, 11:40 PM
DeliciousTruffles

ted wrote:

We have a crib which is in the master bedroom upstairs. We go upstairs
only to sleep at night. So during the day I want to get something
where the baby can sleep downstairs in the living room. I want
something that's elevated so that I don't have to bend a lot. I have
two choices. Please let me know which is the best.

Another item you might consider is one of those big wicker laundry
baskets. Just line it. Highly portable (and cheap, too).

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/isabellazora/

~ Harriet Martineau

Old April 1st 04, 12:42 AM
Sue

I personally would go for the pack-n-play. Once the baby gets mobile you can
put the older child in the pnp to play with objects that the baby cannot get
into. Or you can put the baby in for a safe place from your older dauhghter
when you take a shower or need to get dinner done. You can also take it with
you if you plan on doing any traveling at all. There are so many options for
using a pnp that I definitely would not limit myself to a bassinet, even
though I had one of those too.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

om...