Questions about Pediatric Seizures and diabetes link (long post)

Old January 20th 05, 01:04 AM

Default Questions about Pediatric Seizures and diabetes link (long post)

Hello!

I have a question about seizures my nephew has been having, but before
I ask, I'll let you know a little info about him.

In MArch of 2003, my sister, only 24 weeks pregnant, went into
premature labor. After 4 days of trying to stop the labor , and
complications from the medication, my little nephew was born, weighing
only 1 lb 8 ounces and only 11 3/4 inches long. He had many breathing
problems and was on a ventilator for quite sometime. He finally came
home 4 months later, still on an oxygen tank. A few months later he
was free from the tank.

He is now 22 months old. A while ago, he had a seizure and they put
him on Phenobarbital. After months of taking the medication and not
having another one, they finally started weening him off of it. A few
weeks after he was med-free, he had another seizure. My sister and her
husband rushed him to the hospital, but they said he was fine and
released him within a few hours.

The scariest episode happened just this past Friday night. I was
babysitting my neice, my sisters other child, and her mother in law was
going to watch my nephew so my sister and her husband could enjoy a
weekend by themselves. My sister called me at about 11 that night and
said they were rushing my nephew to the hospital because he had had 3
seizures in a row. Their is a children's hospital in a nearby town, so
they were taking him there instead of to the local hospital. By the
time he got to the hospital he had already had nine seizures. They
immediately gave him shots of seizure medicine to get him to come out
of them. When he finally stopped having the seizures, he had had 14
total.

They did an EEG on him and it didn't show any abnormal brain activity.
They also did an MRI and still nothing out of the ordinary was found.
He had had a fever, so they were trying to find out if he had an
infection or a virus. They did blood tests and spinal fluid tests and
no infection or virus was found anywhere. Today, Wednesday, they still
have no idea what triggered his seizures.

Now on to my question.

My sister just called and said earlier today, my nephew started shaking
really bad. The nurse gave him a donut, and the shaking stopped, a
sign of low blood sugar. I started researching this, and diabetes can
be a cause for seizures. My family has a history of diabetes, my mom
and dad both have it, my sister (my nephew's mother) had gestational
diabetes, my grandmother and grandfather on my dad's side had it, and
my great-grandmother on my mom's side had it. The doctor has not yet
tested him for it. But my question is has anyone reading this had any
history or know of anyone who has had a history of seizures from
diabetes.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. She is going to ask the nurse
about it the next time she comes in, but I would like to find out as
much as I can.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Nicky

Old January 21st 05, 03:26 AM
HCN

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello!
[...]

Your nephew should be under the care of a pediatric neurologist... and make
sure he/she is told about the family history of diabetes, and everything
else.

Our son had neonatal seizures... spent his first year on phenobarbitol, and
then during a nasty gastrointestinal illness had another seizure (it was
thought that this one was caused by his dehydration). The neurologist took
this all in his case history, along with ordering a few EEG's and a
metabolic screen.

You may also want to check this out:
http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/

Old January 21st 05, 10:29 PM

My sister said he does have a neurologist that she takes him to for
regular check-ups. They did a glucose test on him, and his blood sugar
was normal, so it wasn't diabetes. He got to come home today.Hopefully
he won't have anymore seizures.
Thanks for the link to the website.

Nicky

Old January 24th 05, 06:02 PM

Yes there is a link between siezures and diabetes ..

I spoke to this link quite a few years ago .. and a better man might
have rethought THAT 'course of action' .. for it was not .. welcomed ..
to say the least.

There has been found a close link between elevated iron levels in the
body and diabetes .. so far that some researchers are NOW recommending
over forty percent of diabetics be iron reduced.
Epilepsy / siezures are CREATED in the lab animals to study by
injecting iron into the brain.
It might be an idea to find out whether or not the mother was given
iron supplements .. as is VERY common in gestating mothers.

This .. 'they' are finding out .. may be a very .. bad .. thing.

Iron destroys tocopherol .. as evidenced by researchers who in order to
induce a tocopherol / vitamin E deficiency in a lab animal simply load
it with iron which causes oxidation / rust and destroys the animals
antioxidant reserves .. which tocopherol is ../ antioxidant.

A search in the archives / google of 'watchman and diabetes and
epilepsy' should bring up some of the older posts..

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com
Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore
DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

Old January 24th 05, 06:14 PM
Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...

Epilepsy / siezures are CREATED in the lab animals to study by
injecting iron into the brain.

Well well well.

What other substances create seizures when injected into the brain?

Mary

Old January 24th 05, 09:55 PM

I suppose IF .. you .. are having some 'success' .. IN .. the medical
field .. then maybe .. you should follow UP .. on those .. theories ..

You may do some .. good .. ?

That is how it is .. done ..

That is how .. I .. do .. it ..

Or .. am .. attempting .. TO .. do it ..

Old January 24th 05, 10:57 PM
AJ

It seems you became concerned about diabetes as a nurse said his blood sugar
was low. If he had undiagnosed and thus untreated diabetes his blood sugar
levels would be high not low and have other symptoms such as thirst and
passing lots of urine.

AJ
"HCN" wrote in message

wrote in message