DSS Incompetence kills another child

Old October 20th 06, 02:29 PM posted to alt.support.foster-parents,alt.support.child-protective-services
Microfirm News Server

Default DSS Incompetence kills another child

DSS Investigating Death of Foster Child

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=43114

(Sumter) Yvette Busby doesn't try to hide from her past.

"I've been recovering off and on," she said. "I've had falls here and
there."

First and foremost, struggles with substance abuse. And she understands her
problems justify why DSS took her son Darrell from her not once, but twice.

But after the second time on October 7th, she never saw him alive again.

"The Foster care parents were the last to be with my child."

The Foster family said when Darrell Busby was brought to them on October
7th, the Department of Social Services did not inform them of his asthma
condition. Only when he got sick 12 hours later, and they took him to Toumey
Hospital in Sumter, that's when the family says doctors told them Darrell
had asthma.

They said they left the hospital believing Darrell's airways had been
cleared up. But not long after, they say the 14 year-old started wheezing
again. And on Friday the 13th, at the Foster family's home in Sumter, his
asthma became severe.

The 14 year-old's Foster dad says they rushed to Toumey hospital, but that
Darrell was unconscious by the time they got there. They say they were never
fully aware just how serious Darrell's asthma was.

DSS tells us they are investigating the placement of Darrell into Foster
care, and the events that led to his death.

DSS General Counsel Virginia Williamson says "part of our review will be to
ask what info was given and when." And one of the people they'll be asking
is the DSS case worker who, Yvette Busby says, removed her 14 year-old from
the family twice. She also says the worker was well aware of the boy's
condition.

"In spite of all my troubles, my problems, my child has not died in my
care," said Yvette. "He died in the care of DSS and Foster parents."

DSS tells us they have started their review of this incident, but that it
will take them several weeks to complete.

Meanwhile, visitation has been set for Darrell Busby. His mother tells us it
will be held at Job's Mortuary in Sumter on Thursday, October 19th from 3:00
to 7:00.

Old October 20th 06, 11:34 PM posted to alt.support.foster-parents,alt.support.child-protective-services
0:->

Microfirm News Server wrote:
[...]

Horrendous case.

I'm curious though how you see CPS as being the entity to blame here as
in "DSS Incompetence kills another child?"

We cannot tell, for instance if the foster parents are telling the
truth. It's unlikely anything from the case records for the child will
ever be made public. It could be the worker most certainly did warn the
family of the severity of the boys ailment.

There is so much we don't know it seems somewhat excessive to begin
placing blame.

It all started with a mom that admits to her incompetence.

What do you think should have happened to avoid this death, and
considering the mother admits to her limitiations...and with drugs that
would include being 'out of it,' possibly even not taking the child at
all to a hospital, or even tracking that he was in respiratory distress
during the episode that eventually killed him.

Possibly you have some ideas on how to reduce the chances of such
things happening.

Would you share those with us?

Thanks, Kane

Old October 21st 06, 01:41 AM posted to alt.support.foster-parents,alt.support.child-protective-services
dragonsgirl

"0:-" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

It was not the mother who did not take the child to the hospital.

It was the foster parents who say that they were unaware of the child's
condition.

This makes me wonder.

I can easily see how a child with severe asthma at, say four, could go
through the system without anyone knowing in a timely manner.

How does a fourteen year old child, who should be very aware of their
condition, and likely monitoring his own use of rescue medications, not
inform someone that he is a severe asthmatic when those who are responsible
for his care fail to?

At the very least, shouldn't this child have arrived to foster placement
with a cannister of albuterol, if nothing else?

Wouldn't that tip off fosters, social workers, that the child is asthmatic?

I would place blame with Social Services...if they did not inform the foster
parents of the child's condition.

If they were informed, I would place blame with the foster parents.

It does appear from all that is stated in the above that the fosters did act
appropriately in seeking medical care for the child.

There are always things in these stories that you do not hear.

I have one similar of my own.

Why my grandson was taken from my home in 2004 I arrived at the DFS office
the following day with several items to be taken to him. His favorite toy,
his favorite blanket, and the bottles that I had been feeding him from
(because I surely did not want fosters using 'used' bottles that can
transfer thrush), as well as a bottle of medication for GER that had been
prescribed for him.

One week later, at a visit with him, I asked the fosters if they had gotten
a refill on his medication. They asked 'What medication?' I explained that
he had GER and that he had been taking the medication that I had left with
the DFS office. They said they had no idea what I was talking about.

The following week I asked again and the foster mother told me that she
called his doctor and was told that he had had no medications what so ever
precribed for him. The worker that I had given his medication to what out
that day.

The next week, at visit, I asked for the worker.

She spoke with me briefly, and then went to her office and got the bag that
I had left...I took out his bottle of medication and showed it to the foster
mother...the bottle showed the name of the medication, my grandson's name,
the date and the prescribing doctor. Same doctor she had spoken to by
phone.

The worker negelcted to give the fosters that information for three weeks.

The doctor neglected to include that information in my grandson's chart.

I was pretty angry about it because the doctor had explained to me, when he
prescribed the medication, that the condition that my grandson had was very
painful. The medication eased the symptoms that caused the pain.

I never blamed the fosters. They acted appropriately in contacting his
physician about my claims that my grandson was on medications.

The fault lay with the social worker who did not perform her duties, and the
doctor who did not perform his duties.

It happens Kane. I know it does because it happened to my family.

Old October 21st 06, 02:07 AM posted to alt.support.foster-parents,alt.support.child-protective-services
0:->

dragonsgirl wrote:
"0:-" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

They took him twice, DG. I think the hospital staff has a bit of
explaining to do releasing him without evaluating him further and going
for his health records. Hospitals are not barred by HIPAA from having
immediate access. A quick call would have been all they'd have had to
do.

Most med practices I know keep on call persons. Doctors know how to
access a file in their own offices.

This makes me wonder.

One of the continuing convolutions I frequently point out HERE is that
we cannot know so many of the critical details. The parties rendering
stories to this medium can themselves badly warp (Greg for instance)
reality when relating issues and episodes.

Media reports are always suspect. I've made a number of public
statements and after the first time they screwed me, I made it clear I
would not release them from my review of their article prior to print.

I can easily see how a child with severe asthma at, say four, could go
through the system without anyone knowing in a timely manner.

How does a fourteen year old child, who should be very aware of their
condition, and likely monitoring his own use of rescue medications, not
inform someone that he is a severe asthmatic when those who are responsible
for his care fail to?

Well, this is the part of what you point out that caught my attention
first. We do not know the details of this boy's condition. We don't
know if he's incapacitated developmentally (I suspect it) or in some
other way unable to communicate. Me might be illiterate and deaf and
mute.

At the very least, shouldn't this child have arrived to foster placement
with a cannister of albuterol, if nothing else?

Yes. I totally agree with your assessment. Yet a worker can have one
hell of a time trying to coordinate such things. Where, for instance,
could she get the prescription except from a doctor? Why did not the
attending at the hospital write one?

This is one of those obvious cluster pucks if you get my meaning. A lot
of people either did the wrong thing, or the media is reporting it
badly with the facts either missing or wrong.

Wouldn't that tip off fosters, social workers, that the child is asthmatic?

If he was taken in a drug bust?

And DG, this sounds harsh, but I've seen instances when people with
compromised children deliberately did NOT tell the worker or LE taking
the child the full story. Like they wanted their child to be injured so
they could Gr....mmmmm....sue.

I would place blame with Social Services...if they did not inform the foster
parents of the child's condition.

Yes, if they knew. Yes if they knew the severity. Yes if he had been
this sick before....but we don't know those things. The trauma of
leaving his home (but for most 14 year olds that's probably not all the
tough) could have brought on an attack worse than any he's had before.

If they were informed, I would place blame with the foster parents.

Yes, we do not know if they are telling the truth.

Greg could solve all this so easily for us. It's the foster parents,
no, wait, it's the evil Caseworker that wants to kill children in
custody. No, it's both.

It does appear from all that is stated in the above that the fosters did act
appropriately in seeking medical care for the child.

Yep, twice to the hospital when the boy was in distress.

There are always things in these stories that you do not hear.

Ah, yes. Or should I say, "Oooohhh Yes," because it's now ass covering
time.

I have one similar of my own.

Why my grandson was taken from my home in 2004 I arrived at the DFS office
the following day with several items to be taken to him. His favorite toy,
his favorite blanket, and the bottles that I had been feeding him from
(because I surely did not want fosters using 'used' bottles that can
transfer thrush), as well as a bottle of medication for GER that had been
prescribed for him.

For those not in the know, gastric reflux. Nasty and messes with the
kids weight gain.

One week later, at a visit with him, I asked the fosters if they had gotten
a refill on his medication. They asked 'What medication?' I explained that
he had GER and that he had been taking the medication that I had left with
the DFS office. They said they had no idea what I was talking about.

The following week I asked again and the foster mother told me that she
called his doctor and was told that he had had no medications what so ever
precribed for him. The worker that I had given his medication to what out
that day.

You obviously mean, for "what out," "was out."

[...]

I'd be the last person to claim that anyone or any system is perfect.

Good thing you continued to press the issue.

I don't think anyone that has a child in the system should ease up on
the safety and health issues, and they should assertively (not sulking
and raging like our little buddy here, full of accusations and
determined to turn it into a constitutional issue) continue to pursue
this.

And make a careful record of events...that might be very useful in
court later if THEY are blamed for the mix-up.

Even the nutcases wackos like Greg, KNOWS that documenting is very
important.

These are the kinds of things that can have a case thrown out if
handled with the right kind of sensible tactics. I know a few people
that can do that.

None of them have the initials GH.

I wish we weren't debating while there is a dead child though. But
that's what we do here.

You can trust the socks to be totally without any sensitivity. Some
even thought they would not lose any sleep over deed social workers,
like the lady that was murdered recently, a mother and grandmother
herself.

Such scum we deal with here.

0:-

Old October 21st 06, 03:57 PM posted to alt.support.foster-parents,alt.support.child-protective-services
dragonsgirl

"0:-" wrote in message
oups.com...

dragonsgirl wrote:
"0:-" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

His actually caused severe heartburn.
His doctor told me that he was in awful pain after eating, and because
babies cannot distinguish one pain from another, he mistook that pain for
hunger, and cried incessantly for a bottle.
He was rather chubby at that time because he wanted to eat constantly, and
as I understood it, the act of eating quieted the burning sensation for a
time, but the overeating only compounded the root cause of the pain.
I was angry about the mix up because I was aware that it was a painful
condiiton.

One week later, at a visit with him, I asked the fosters if they had
gotten
a refill on his medication. They asked 'What medication?' I explained
that
he had GER and that he had been taking the medication that I had left
with
the DFS office. They said they had no idea what I was talking about.

The following week I asked again and the foster mother told me that she
called his doctor and was told that he had had no medications what so
ever
precribed for him. The worker that I had given his medication to what
out
that day.

You obviously mean, for "what out," "was out."

Yes.

[...]

It's obvious that ranting and raving only serves to make state employees
think you are nuts and disregard your comments and concerns anyway.

And make a careful record of events...that might be very useful in
court later if THEY are blamed for the mix-up.

Even the nutcases wackos like Greg, KNOWS that documenting is very
important.

These are the kinds of things that can have a case thrown out if
handled with the right kind of sensible tactics. I know a few people
that can do that.

None of them have the initials GH.

I wish we weren't debating while there is a dead child though. But
that's what we do here.

You can trust the socks to be totally without any sensitivity. Some
even thought they would not lose any sleep over deed social workers,
like the lady that was murdered recently, a mother and grandmother
herself.

The dead social worker in Kentucky hits a soft spot with me.
My grandmother was a social worker in Somerset for years and years until she
retired.
She was not a children's division worker, but an income worker.
Still, I hate to think that someone would have shot her because they made
too much money to get food stamps.

Such scum we deal with here.

They're everywhere.

0:-

Old October 22nd 06, 02:09 PM posted to alt.support.foster-parents,alt.support.child-protective-services
Greegor

Betty's story of the ignored meds is NOT a fluke.
I have heard of DOZENS of cases where similar stuff took place.

It angers parents.

EVEN the fricken drug addict mom coulda done better than the
brainless arrogant bureaucratic agencies did.

Old October 22nd 06, 06:37 PM posted to alt.support.foster-parents,alt.support.child-protective-services
0:->

Greegor wrote:
Betty's story of the ignored meds is NOT a fluke.
I have heard of DOZENS of cases where similar stuff took place.

List them for us.

It angers parents.

Yes, it would do that, were it true.

EVEN the fricken drug addict mom coulda done better than the
brainless arrogant bureaucratic agencies did.

Not true. Sadly.

And if you read closely you'll find that the worker and the doctor were
the ones the screwed up.

Or are we not talking about the same case here?

You continue to comment on issues you have hidden the source of by
aborting the attributions, Greg.

Why is that?

You don't want to be responsible for what you say?

Or is it your wisdom that leads you to hide the truth when YOU are so
wrong?

The world seems lately to be overrun with lying twits like you,
spinning, manipulating, and playing fast and loose with the facts.

You might have the ultimate satisfaction of having destroyed the world
if your kind keeps this up.

Fortunately there are those that challenge you.

0:-
Old October 22nd 06, 08:11 PM posted to alt.support.foster-parents,alt.support.child-protective-services
dragonsgirl

"Greegor" wrote in message
oups.com...
Betty's story of the ignored meds is NOT a fluke.
I have heard of DOZENS of cases where similar stuff took place.

I know some things that I am not at liberty to discuss.
But it's certainly the reason that I agree that DFS does not follow the law,
nor it's own mandates all the time.
Some pretty serious illegal stuff going on, and some pretty hard core
neglect as well.
I can name two...just two cases in which I am certain that DFS neglected
their duties in the welfare of children in their care.
But...the reason I can only cite two..the one I already have and another, is
that I don't know those cases from a news story in a newspaper, I know them
from first hand account.
Do you know of those 'dozens' from first hand account?
If not, then someone could be pulling your leg big time.

When faced with determining the reliability of information you must first
discern whether or not the source has bias, or reason to report incorrectly.

I would say that most times what we read in the news is horribly skewed in
one direction or the other dependant upon the bias of the writer and the
motives of the source of the writer.

I don't really believe a thing I read in the news.
Especially when it comes to DFS.

It angers parents.

Obviously, and that would be motive enough to 'embellish'. Don't you think?

EVEN the fricken drug addict mom coulda done better than the
brainless arrogant bureaucratic agencies did.

I would never assume that.

--
I Love Duane and Beth.
Long Live The Chapmans!

Old October 23rd 06, 01:56 AM posted to alt.support.foster-parents,alt.support.child-protective-services
Greegor

Greg wrote
EVEN the fricken drug addict mom coulda done better than the
brainless arrogant bureaucratic agencies did.

dragonsgirl wrote
I would never assume that.

I knew that about you.
You would never believe that the agencies do so bad
even when it's in your face, as you have described.

That's what makes you the agency stooge you are Betty!

But presuming a parent is worse than the
brainless arrogant bureaucratic agencies comes easy to you.

You are a gem plucked from the manure pit by CPS.
Miraculously every member of your family but YOU is defective.

Old October 23rd 06, 02:10 AM posted to alt.support.foster-parents,alt.support.child-protective-services
dragonsgirl

"Greegor" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greg wrote
EVEN the fricken drug addict mom coulda done better than the
brainless arrogant bureaucratic agencies did.

dragonsgirl wrote
I would never assume that.

I knew that about you.
You would never believe

Who said 'believe'? I said 'assume'.

that the agencies do so bad
even when it's in your face, as you have described.

Two incidents, in my 'face', as you say, and that makes every dope head mom
in the face of the planet capable of taking good care of a child?
HA.
You are cute...but you are getting a bit old for the 'cute' bit, aren't you?

That's what makes you the agency stooge you are Betty!

And what makes you the raving lunatic that you are Greg?

But presuming a parent is worse than the
brainless arrogant bureaucratic agencies comes easy to you.

Don't know the difference between words like 'presume' and 'assume', but you
can pull words out your ass like 'malfeasance'?
Loon meter going off.

You are a gem plucked from the manure pit by CPS.
Miraculously every member of your family but YOU is defective.

Pot calling a kettle 'black', aren't you Greg?