(Florida) Could Someone Please Point Me The Way...

Old October 29th 04, 05:21 PM
BunnyP BunnyP is offline
Junior Member

Location: Tallahassee, FL
Smile (Florida) Could Someone Please Point Me The Way...

Could someone please point me in the right direction to exactly where I can find out the laws/statutes concerning parental spanking of a child in the State of Florida. I need to know what the laws in Florida state about this. I have tried searching the statutes myself and all I can find are statutes that relate to daycare centers... that's it.

I am new to this forum, so if I am asking something of this forum in error, I apologize, that is not my intent. I have just searched myself to death here, and I am hoping someone can just point me in the right direction to find the info I need. Thank you all so much in advance!

Bunny

Last edited by BunnyP : October 29th 04 at 05:23 PM.
Old October 30th 04, 08:36 PM
Fern5827

Spanking is legal in all 50 states. That is probably the reason you cannot
find anything pertaining to parental or guardian spanking

It appears that spanking is further legal in FL schools. It might stand to
reason that if educators could spank parents could too.

However, one is cautioned not to harm a child.

No bruising or outward skin problems should be observable after the punishment.

I might add that NOT SPANKING is largely preferable.

I searched a site Senate. gov/statutes.

Under Titles 29 and 30. Think I first hit 29, you can try Title 30 yourself.

Also findlaw.com may also have complete FL statutes.

Usually a law school in FL will link to updated state statutes. You could try
Stetson.edu.

You might wish to look at some of the reform DCF sites like:

http://www.DCFwatch.com

Hope this helps you.

Bunny sent in:

Please Point Me The Way...

Old November 3rd 04, 10:07 PM
Carlson LaVonne

Bunny,

Parental spanking of children is legal in all states, including Florida.
However, what is considered a "legal" spanking varies from state to
state. Some states allow children to mark and bruise their children.
Some states consider any marks resulting from spanking to be an
indicator of abuse. Some states allow parents to spank their children
with implements while other states consider this behavior abusive. Some
states only allow parents to spank their children below the waist and
over clothes.

What a sad conversation. In the US and in 2004 we still discuss "legal"
ways to hit and/or hurt children in the name of discipline.

LaVonne