Another Potty question

Old December 2nd 04, 09:50 PM
Tori M.

Default Another Potty question

Bonnie (31 months?) has been stripping herself naked and running arround..
no big deal she is young but some times she goes potty on the potty chair
when no one is paying attention. She WILL NOT go potty on the potty chair
if you ARE paying attention. The other day I noticed pee in the chair and
thought DH left it there so I could see she went but it turns out that he
did not know she did it. so this leaves me in a pickle I guess.

1.) She knows what the potty chair is for and that she needs to use it BUT
she does not want to for the most part.
2.) She pooped on the floor today right after using the potty chair to go
pee.

What can I do to encourage the good behavior (using the potty chair) without
too much emphasis on the bad behavior (pooping on the floor) Not that the
story of that wasnt funny.. DH said she walked up to him with it in her hand
saying poopie poopie.. lol he just put it in the toilet.. I dont know if
there was also a punishment to go along with it since he gets the morning
shift while I catch up on sleep.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier 10/27/04

Old December 2nd 04, 10:18 PM
Nan

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:50:34 -0600, "Tori M."
scribbled:

[...]

We used sticker charts. Every time dd used the potty, she put a
sticker on her chart. For the pooping, I finally resorted to bribes
with chocolate. I'd do it again in a heartbeat ;-)

I'd just ignore the accidents. My dd didn't like the idea of a potty
chair, but she liked using an insert on the big toilet. Maybe Bonnie
would go for that idea?

Nan
Old December 4th 04, 04:16 PM
BSJM

"Nan" wrote in message
[...]

LOL! I did the same thing. I don't really know if it worked, or if it was
just time for them to learn anyway. What I did was always have a jar with
m&ms in a very noticable spot in the bathroom. The temptation was always
there, and they got some for peeing, and more for pooping in the potty.
They probably peed more often than they needed to, but hey, anything that
works. : )

Shel

Old December 11th 04, 08:05 PM
Catherine Woodgold

"Tori M." ) writes:
What can I do to encourage the good behavior (using the potty chair) without
too much emphasis on the bad behavior (pooping on the floor)

I think the best thing to do is to do very little. Apparently she
needs or wants privacy in order to use the potty. I believe some
humans instinctively won't be able to go if people are watching.
It may not seem like it, but I believe little kids experience
embarassment around potty issues: about being watched, just
as adults would, and also about not being able to do it when
they want to. They cover up the embarassment by pretending not
to care, etc.

I think the best way to support her is to respect her privacy.
This may mean not saying anything about the potty either to her,
or about her to others (especially when she's listening).
It could mean discreetly emptying the potty when she's not looking.

She already knows what the potty is for; she just needs some
practice. I think she'll do that fine on her own.

I would avoid any rewards, punishments, or reminders -- they
just bring unwelcome attention when privacy is wanted.

If using praise about the potty, I suggest making it very
low-key, as in "Ah, you used the potty." in a quiet, calm
voice. Not making a big fuss about it.
--
Cathy
Old December 12th 04, 08:22 AM
Tori M.

"Catherine Woodgold" wrote in message

"Tori M." ) writes:
What can I do to encourage the good behavior (using the potty chair)
without
too much emphasis on the bad behavior (pooping on the floor)

I think the best thing to do is to do very little. Apparently she
needs or wants privacy in order to use the potty.

Kinda what I figured since in general she goes poop in her room and gets
verry defensive if you go in there before she is done. She will come right
out and declare she has poopies though and want to be changed.

It could mean discreetly emptying the potty when she's not looking.

I do usualy empty it when she is not looking just because i notice it when
she is not arround for the most part.

I would avoid any rewards, punishments, or reminders -- they
just bring unwelcome attention when privacy is wanted.

ok.. Looks like I have a self sufficiant potty trainer.. makes it easy on me
but that is kinda sad to

If using praise about the potty, I suggest making it very
low-key, as in "Ah, you used the potty." in a quiet, calm
voice. Not making a big fuss about it.

Yup I will have to tell dh about that.. She was running arround naked the
other day (her prefer mode of dress) and she ran into the bathroom and then
a tiny bit later she ran back out. Dh asked if she went Potty and she said
Yeah all cute like and Dh said good job but Bonnie was just running
arround.. I went in later and she really had gone potty!

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier 10/27/04

Old December 12th 04, 10:30 AM
emilyxmd

I'd say she just wants privacy. With Natalie, my daughter who was born
in January of 02, we use the insert on the big potty and then leave the
room. Sometimes she will order us to sit on the tub beside her and wait
with her, but for the most part she wants her privacy. I guess I don't
blame them, I want mine too (not that you get it with a toddler). We
used the sticker chart and then every once in a while would go get her
a special treat and really emphasize that it was for being SUCH a good
potty trainer! I mean we'd practically YELL it out for everyone to
hear.. "You get these Barbie clothes for being SUCH a good POTTY
TRAINER!! YAY Natalie!!" kind of thing! She would giggle, smile and
then say "good potty girl." It makes me happy to see that she
understands that using it is a good thing and that for being such a big
girl, she gets treats.

For punishment, we tend to scold her for messing her pullups or panties
when she could tell us she has to go and we are near a toilet. She has
to be asked most of the time if she has to potty, so if we forget,
she'll mess her pants. We will tell her that only babies potty in their
pants and that it is very very naughty. She loves chocolate milk, so if
she does it more than once a day, we take chocolate milk away. This is
devastating to the child, so she tends to remember to potty then. We
are the type of parents who will spank as well, so if she is continuing
to have accidents for little to no reason, she will get a swat on the
butt. We have also used time outs for messes in panties.

Basically we really go all out rewarding the good but when she is bad,
she knows it. We don't just ignore the bad and go "oh well" when she
KNOWS when she has to go and that she is supposed to. When she does,
she gets huge cheers and praise and stickers. She is to the point now
that if her dad or I go potty, we too get stickers!! "Momma peed? Great
job momma, big girl, you get stickers!!"

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 04:23 PM
Kids should work... Doan Spanking 33 December 10th 03 09:05 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane General 13 December 10th 03 03:30 AM
Kids should work. ChrisScaife Foster Parents 16 December 7th 03 05:27 AM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 04:28 AM