Not really TTC anymore... For now...

Old February 7th 06, 12:03 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Not really TTC anymore... For now...

So, we've kind of, unofficially, put the TTC thing on the back burner. I
got into a pretty bad accident on Thursday the 2nd, and it seems now is not
really such a good time. I wrote my car off, and thankfully injuries
weren't too bad, all things considered...

We were T boned by a truck speeding through an intersection after he changed
lanes from behind some cars making left-hand turns. Nailed us on the
passenger's side, which is DS's side of the car. I really don't remember
too much, but he hit us so hard that it blew a fuse and all the lights in my
car went out, and hit us so that we spun around at least once and were on
the southeast corner of the road, facing north, when we were closer to the
southwest corner, facing south.

Anyways, DD - not a scratch on her. They had done a full inspection on her
car seat and there wasn't a scratch on the seat either, and we were told it
was perfect shape and there is no reason we can't keep using it since it had
no damage to it at all. DS's booster seat is totaled, and DS had a pretty
bad scalp laceration which the plastic surgeon stitched up very good. He
said there should be no scars because of the location of the laceration and
because of his age. The laceration was clean and clear and no parts were
missing (sorry if that's TMI!) DS also had a tiny fracture in his nose.
There's nothing that can be done about that, and there will be no damage,
not even a bump from the fracture, he just has a black eye, and the swelling
went down by Saturday morning. It's just black and green and yellow, but he
can open it all the way now. He complains of no pain at all, which is a
surprise. They did CT scans and Xrays, and he has no internal injuries. I
count my lucky stars, and I know we got out lucky. I just keep wondering...
Why him and not me? I think I'll always wish it would have been me and not
him...

Kind of off topic, but since it's kind of in my mind, I recommend one of
those infant car seat bunting bag things... The car seat baby cover things
that go into an infant seat and zipper up around baby... That is definitely
what saved DD from even a tiny scratch on her, and we were finding pieces of
glass in her seat the next day even... But anyways.

I don't know what happened. The last thing I remember was seeing the coast
was clear, turning, then seeing big Dodge truck lights in my passenger
windows, I remember saying OMFG! NO! (pardon the language) and then the last
clear thing in my mind was the cabin light in the car sparking and going
out. I do remember DD start crying, but I remember DS screaming, and I kind
of remember running out of the car around the front to DS's side (side of
impact) and I vaguely remember pulling DS out of the car through the blown
out window and seeing him covered in blood, even in the darkness. I remember
grabbing him out and then running around the back of the car to DD's side,
and I sort of remember not being able to open her door, probably because of
major frame damage that kept the door shut, and I recall kicking and hitting
the car/door and freaking out even more when I couldn't get the door open.
I don't remember anything else... I don't even remember if the police were
there, even though they obviously were and MIL said they were, who was
called from the scene because she lives 2 blocks away, and I don't remember
giving her phone number to someone who was there... Don't remember the
ambulance ride to the hospital or anything...
DS is now fine, it seems. He's back to a normal 5 year old, and everyone is
constantly telling him to settle down before he hurts himself, and if he
bangs his head, it will start to bleed and hurt a lot, and he'll have to
spend another night, or more, in the hospital again. He doesn't want that!
DD seems to be just fine. She's sleeping and eating as normal, it seems,
and she's just as active as she always was. I was fine the first night in
the hospital when I slept on the bed beside DS's bed, but I know I tossed
and turned all night and woke up stiff and sore and in pain. They did chest
and knee xrays, since I had some pretty big bruises. I feel fine other than
being stiff and sore and this headache that just won't go away. I also
can't sleep, which leaves me struggling to keep my eyes open all day long.
DH and I have decided that we aren't going to actually try at this point.
It's probably not wise to find out we're expecting again when I can barely
walk or function, and I think we need to concentrate more on DS for the time
being.
We agreed that we won't try, but we won't not try. We'll not TTC when we
know we have the best chance, and we'll wait a couple months before we
actually try and aim for the best chance days. We decided it's best that I
don't go on any type of BC (like pills or shots or anything) but we'll use
something for him until everyone's feeling better. Right now, I know, just
isn't the right time, but soon I know it will be.

I can deal with losing the car, it's just a car, even though I loved my car
very much, it doesn't come near my kids. It's easy to replace a car, and I
am greatful that we're all alive and kickin' and not hurt a lot worse. Next
baby we'll try for will wait, and at the soonest will probably be a New
Year's baby, if not later!

What a crappy week it's been, but I do recommend one of those bag things for
infant seats, if you can get one. Maybe that's just my own paranoia
speaking, but still... Saved my DD from a lot of glass!

Hope everyone else around here is doing alright and hope no one else has had
a horrible last few days! lol

Old February 7th 06, 12:15 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

so sorry to hear this, hope you are feeling better soon and that DS is
healing well

I really would ditch that car seat, just because there is no scratch on it,
doesn't mean there is no internal damage, make sure you claim it on the
truck drivers insurance. I had to really push this point with my parents
after they had a crash with DS in the car with them and when my dad did call
the insurance they didn't even ask questions, just stated all carseats
involved in accidents should be destroyed and asked us to send the
instruction book so they knew which make and model so they could work out
how much to give us.

Anne

Old February 7th 06, 12:49 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

xkatx wrote:
So, we've kind of, unofficially, put the TTC thing on the back burner. I
got into a pretty bad accident on Thursday the 2nd, and it seems now is not
really such a good time. I wrote my car off, and thankfully injuries
weren't too bad, all things considered...

How scary! It sounds just awful. I'm glad you are all (mostly)
OK.

Take care!

Mary W.

Old February 7th 06, 12:50 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Hugs. What a scary thing to endure. I can't imagine. Like you, I'm glad
it was just your car. You said, "I just keep wondering... Why him and not
me? I think I'll always wish it would have been me and not him..." The
only thing I can say to this is that in a way, Thank God it was him, as if
it had been you, or dh in the passenger side, you might have been killed
since you are larger and take up more space. I'm sorry your ds was injured,
but glad that it wasn't bad, and glad that no one was seriously hurt or
killed.

Hugs.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old February 7th 06, 03:26 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Wow!! That is terrible to have happened. I can totally understand how you
can't remember much of what happened. I'm glad to hear that no one was
seriously hurt and that DS will heal nicely. You were very lucky.

I agree with Anne, I was always told that if a carseat was in an accident,
throw it away. It works by absorbing the shock of the accident so not as
much is transferred to the baby. Once it does this it can become
structurally damaged, even though no damage is visible, in a subsequent
collision (hopefully there will never be one) the car seat can fail to
perform properly and the child can be injured as a result. Claim it on the
other person's insurance and it should be replaced for you.

Old February 7th 06, 03:39 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

OMG -- that must have been terrifying. Just reading about it is scary
-- your poor little ds! I hope he's feeling lots better and isn't too
traumatized (although I can imagine that you are!) Thank G-d everyone
is alive and okay. Try to get some rest and feel better soon!

Bryna

Old February 7th 06, 04:29 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

xkatx wrote:

So, we've kind of, unofficially, put the TTC thing on the back burner. I
got into a pretty bad accident on Thursday the 2nd, and it seems now is not
really such a good time. I wrote my car off, and thankfully injuries
weren't too bad, all things considered...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident.
I hope you can recover soon enough emotionally.
I agree with Anne to get a new carseat.

-- Anita --
Old February 7th 06, 04:37 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"xkatx" wrote:

So, we've kind of, unofficially, put the TTC thing on the back burner. I
got into a pretty bad accident on Thursday the 2nd, and it seems now is
not really such a good time. I wrote my car off, and thankfully injuries
weren't too bad, all things considered...

Wow, that must have been terrifying. I'm glad you're all "okay". I hope you
get some good restful sleep soon!

rj

Old February 7th 06, 05:50 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

OMG - I'm glad you & your family are OK! What a frightening
experience!

I would replace your DDs car seat - apparantly the seat belts can be
weak and not show up any damage.

I hope you get some sleep soon

Kindest regards
Camille

Old February 7th 06, 06:23 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"xkatx" wrote in message
So, we've kind of, unofficially, put the TTC thing on the back burner. I
got into a pretty bad accident on Thursday the 2nd, and it seems now is
not really such a good time. I wrote my car off, and thankfully injuries
weren't too bad, all things considered...

Oh God...that is my worst fear, being in a bad accident with my daughter in
the car :-( I can't begin to imagine how traumatic that felt, still feels.
Take it easy. (((hugs)))

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,