frustrated with Doctor. Am I rightfullt so? (a bit long, but needhelp!)

Old May 28th 04, 12:48 PM
Hillary Israeli

Default of queens and cats, was frustrated with Doctor. Am I rightfullt so? (a bit long, but need

In ,
Rebecca McGraw wrote:

*
*I thought a mare was a female horse 4 years of age or older, regardless
*of whether or not she has foaled. Guess I have to go look it up.

Depends on where you're looking it up
The medical/physiological definition is that a filly turns into a mare at
sexual maturity - like a girl turns into a woman at puberty. But for
horses who are involved in different activities there may be different
definitions. A thoroughbred racehorse won't turn into a mare until she's
five. Go figure.

Old May 28th 04, 01:07 PM
Jacqui

Hillary Israeli wibbled

A thoroughbred racehorse won't
turn into a mare until she's five. Go figure.

But that racehorse may turn five when she's only just over 36 months
old. :-) (Under English racing regulations anyway.)

Jac
Old May 28th 04, 01:15 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Jacqui wrote:

*Hillary Israeli wibbled
*
* A thoroughbred racehorse won't
* turn into a mare until she's five. Go figure.
*
*But that racehorse may turn five when she's only just over 36 months
*old. :-) (Under English racing regulations anyway.)

Yes, american TBs will increase a year in age on 1/1 even if born on 12/31

Old May 28th 04, 03:34 PM
Mary W.

Hillary Israeli wrote:

In ,
Cathy Weeks wrote:

(Vicki S) wrote in message . com...
*
* horse: mare - stallion?
*
*Actually a female horse is only a mare after it has given birth, I
*think. Prior it's called a filly. Stallion is a male horse that has
*not been neutered (if it has, it's called a gelding). A young male
*horse is a colt.

A female horse is a filly until reaching sexual maturity at about 24 mos,
then she's a mare. Unless you're a racing authority, in which case you may
have a different definition (the thoroughbred authority, for example, says
a filly is a filly until she's five, IIRC).

I was thinking it must be something like this. I'd feel silly calling
my 30 year old appaloosa a filly.

My mind is full of useless crap. Thank you, national veterinary examining
committee for guaranteeing that I will always have something to discuss at
cocktail parties.

I found it interesting! I also found the udder discussion interesting....

Mary

Old May 28th 04, 06:08 PM
Larry McMahan

Mary W. writes:

: I found it interesting! I also found the udder discussion interesting....

Ahhh, udderly fascinating?

Larry
Old May 28th 04, 06:55 PM
Mary W.

Larry McMahan wrote:

Mary W. writes:

: I found it interesting! I also found the udder discussion interesting....

Ahhh, udderly fascinating?

Something like that : )

Mary