OT baby carrying/walking holiday

Old February 14th 04, 10:06 AM
Anne Rogers

Default OT baby carrying/walking holiday

dh and I are going with a group of friends on a walking holiday, ds will
be nearly 1 at the time and at current weight gain is likley to be between
17 and 18 pounds. I used a homemade Maya Wrap type sling to carry him at
the moment, we use the frog carry, where he sits facing forwards with his
legs crossed, but I don't think this will be ideal and would prefer to
carry him on my back, or more likely dh carrying him on his back. We might
be able to borrow a back carrier, or I could make something different, I
like some of the ideas from Rev Jab's site. Any thoughts?

-----------
Anne Rogers

Old February 14th 04, 03:24 PM
iphigenia

Anne Rogers wrote:
dh and I are going with a group of friends on a walking holiday, ds
will be nearly 1 at the time and at current weight gain is likley to
be between 17 and 18 pounds.

Any thoughts?

Have you used the hip carry? I always found it easier for long walks. I used
to have a really nice Kelty backpack, but it took a lot of adjustment and
practice to make using it comfortable, and if you're going to switch between
you and DH, that's going to be a pain with readjustment (though I expect you
could mark each setting with fabric paint or some such).

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old February 14th 04, 05:36 PM
zeldabee

Anne Rogers wrote:
dh and I are going with a group of friends on a walking holiday, ds will
be nearly 1 at the time and at current weight gain is likley to be
between 17 and 18 pounds. I used a homemade Maya Wrap type sling to carry
him at the moment, we use the frog carry, where he sits facing forwards
with his legs crossed, but I don't think this will be ideal and would
prefer to carry him on my back, or more likely dh carrying him on his
back. We might be able to borrow a back carrier, or I could make
something different, I like some of the ideas from Rev Jab's site. Any
thoughts?

I really don't work for the company, ) but The Ultimate Baby Wrap would
be ideal--a cloth carrier you can use in many different positions,
including a back carry.

http://theultimatebabywrap.com/home.html

(You *could* make one yourself, even--it's just about 14' x 1.5' of
cotton/lycra t-shirt material.)

I really want one of these, but they're expensive:

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1vy2t/sprogly/
Old February 14th 04, 06:20 PM
Jan Andrea

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
dh and I are going with a group of friends on a walking holiday, ds will
be nearly 1 at the time and at current weight gain is likley to be between
17 and 18 pounds. I used a homemade Maya Wrap type sling to carry him at
the moment, we use the frog carry, where he sits facing forwards with his
legs crossed, but I don't think this will be ideal and would prefer to
carry him on my back, or more likely dh carrying him on his back. We might
be able to borrow a back carrier, or I could make something different, I
like some of the ideas from Rev Jab's site. Any thoughts?

I would recommend going to http://www.thebabywearer.com and asking your
question there, or just reading through some of the existing forums on the
site. There are people there who have tried pretty much every kind of
carrier, and would be able to give you some great advice.

(Rev.) Jan
--
Mum to Stephen, 22 May 2000
and Sophia, 2 October 2003

Old February 14th 04, 08:46 PM
Katie

On 14 Feb 2004 17:36:59 GMT, zeldabee
asserted:

snip

I really want one of these, but they're expensive:

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/

Ooh - now I want one of those, too!

In case anyone from Canda is interested, I found a place that rents
them out (and also sells them):

http://www.childbirthedu.com/g106R.htm (they're in Maple Ridge, BC,
for those of you from out this way).

Katie
Real email: sphyrapicusathotmaildotcom

Old February 14th 04, 11:57 PM
Rachel

Have you looked at the asian style carriers? We just ordered one from
equanimitybaby.com called a meitai. Another popular one is
kozycarrier.com. Ours hasn't arrived yet. They are supposed to be good
for back carries. Also look at an Ergo.
Rachel

Old February 15th 04, 04:22 PM
AnnaS

I have a Maya Wrap and I've found the hip carry works best with my 22-pound
one year old. I frequently take long walks with him in that position. If he
gets sleepy. I just pull the wrap up over his head and lay him down a bit.

Anna