ADHD Troubled Youth was it his Diet?

Old March 31st 08, 10:07 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health
Jan Drew

Default ADHD Troubled Youth was it his Diet?

http://www.blackburncitizen.co.uk/ne...red_jail.p hp

A TROUBLED youth who mugged a vulnerable 16 year old was spared jail- but a
judge slammed him as a bully.

Burnley Crown Court heard how Gareth Erangey, 18, knew the Accrington victim
was picked on by others but took £10 off him.

The defendant, who left the 16 year old in tears, later told police he felt
bad about what he had done.

Erangey, said to have been diagnosed with ADHD when he was eight, admitted
robbing the teenager in Accrington last October.

The defendant, from the town and living in Accrington at the time had been
given a community order just four months before. He now lives in Blackpool.

Sentencing, Judge Beverley Lunt told him :"You are a bully and a thief and
that's what this robbery was."

http://www.freepressreleases.co.uk/P...2008032715515/

Growing Body of Research Blames ADHD on Diet and Nutrition Deficiencies
Written by Christine Abraham
Thursday, 27 March 2008
Chesterton, IN - March 28, 2008 - Many of the 5 million children currently
using attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) drugs may not have
ADHD. Instead, these children might have food allergies, food sensitivities,
nutritional deficiencies and other diet related issues.

Each year doctors prescribe potentially dangerous psycho-stimulant drugs to
millions of children, based only on the symptoms of excessive fidgeting,
impulsivity and concentration difficulties.

"Diet is a key factor that is often overlooked when a child is evaluated for
attention and behavior problems," said Christine Abraham, who spent the past
decade researching ADHD and alternatives to treating the disorder.

Abraham, like many parents of ADHD children, felt uneasy about ADHD drugs
when her son was diagnosed in 1998. The pediatrician insisted that drug
therapy was the only effective treatment for the disorder that affects an
estimated 3 to 5 percent of children. Abraham believed otherwise.

Thus began Abraham's quest for better information. Abraham sifted through
scientific studies and medical journals. She interviewed dieticians,
herbalists and naturopaths.

"I found a surprising amount of scientific evidence that shows a direct and
absolute correlation between diet and ADHD," Abraham said.

Armed with the information culled from this research, Abraham developed
"ADHD Alternative Diets," a compilation of scientifically proven ADHD diet
techniques.

"As parents, we want to give our children the best edge for success and the
best defense against failure. We want to do right by our children," Abraham
said. "Changing the diet by eliminating offending foods and adding
brain-boosting foods is one of the kindest and most healthy ways to treat
ADHD."

Artificial food dyes, flavors and preservatives can cause behavioral and
neurological reactions that mimic the symptoms of ADHD in sensitive
children. The ADHD alternative diet plan eliminates highly processed foods
and in their place adds brain-boosting foods rich in vitamins, minerals,
amino acids and Omega 3 fatty acids.

"Make this change and you will notice a significant drop in your child's
behavioral problems," Abraham said.

She said Erangey knew the victim had problems and was targeted -and he was
supposed to know what that felt like.

Judge Lunt said she had at first thought of sending the defendant to jail
but his barrister had persuaded her not to. She added:" Perhaps you are
growing up. I hope so. I will give you a chance to show me you are."

Erangey was given 48 weeks in jail, suspended for two years, with 12 months
supervision and 80 hours unpaid work.

Old April 1st 08, 12:54 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health
Raving

On Mar 31, 5:07 pm, "Jan Drew" wrote:

Growing Body of Research Blames ADHD on Diet and Nutrition Deficiencies
Written by .... (irrelevant)

Assume the premise.
Actually, let's enrich the premise ....

"Growing Body of Research Blames [MANY DISORDERS] on Diet and
Nutrition Deficiencies"

Humanity exhibits a huge diversity of narrow specific diets that
change over time and vary from place to place. The human habit for
peculiar, specific, localized diets should clearly demonstrate the
veracity of the premise.

I figure that ...
African kids are just as badly screwed up as American kids.

What do you think, eh?