oatmeal recipes

Old July 29th 03, 06:26 PM
Anne Rogers

Default oatmeal recipes

I just bought some oatmeal, but I'm not sure what to do with it, I'm sure
I've sean a recipe somewhere for apple and raisin oatmeal which sounds
yummy, but now I can't find it! I'm not even sure what the standard recipe
is, can anyone help?

-----------
Anne Rogers

Old July 29th 03, 07:21 PM
Marie

On 29 Jul 2003 12:38:57 -0700, Larry McMahan
wrote:
How hard can this be. :-) Add 1 cup oatmeal to 2 cups boiling water.
Boil 3 minutes. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. (you can skip this
step if you are really hungry, but watch out, it's hot!).
Add brown sugar to taste and chow down. :-)

BTW, I think that makes two servings.

I love brown sugar in oatmeal. Sometimes I add a little cinnamon too.
Bananas are a natural sweetener so sometimes we just use those.
Marie
Old July 29th 03, 07:25 PM
Marie

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:26:48 +0100, Anne Rogers
wrote:

I just bought some oatmeal, but I'm not sure what to do with it, I'm sure
I've sean a recipe somewhere for apple and raisin oatmeal which sounds
yummy, but now I can't find it! I'm not even sure what the standard recipe
is, can anyone help?

You don't really need a recipe for oatmeal, just add what you want.
You can cut small pieces of apple to cook with the oatmeal and add
raisins as it's cooking, then put some brown sugar or whatever
sweetener you want. I usually cook it by boiling a cup of water and
adding 1/2 cup oats. Let it all boil for a minute or two, then remove
from the burner and cover it for a couple of more minutes until it's
as thick as you want. It's half the oats to water. (for the baby I
boil 1/4 cup water and add 1/8 cup oats) If you put bananas in it
(after it's cooked) you won't even need to add sweetener.
Marie
Old July 29th 03, 07:27 PM
Ben

Anne Rogers wrote:
I just bought some oatmeal, but I'm not sure what to do with it, I'm sure
I've sean a recipe somewhere for apple and raisin oatmeal which sounds
yummy, but now I can't find it! I'm not even sure what the standard recipe
is, can anyone help?

Googles and found this:
http://www.allrecipes.com/directory/568.asp

Ben

--
BTW. I can be contacted at Username:newsgroup4.replies.benaltw
Domain:xoxy.net

Old July 29th 03, 08:14 PM
Astromum

Anne Rogers wrote:
I just bought some oatmeal, but I'm not sure what to do with it, I'm sure
I've sean a recipe somewhere for apple and raisin oatmeal which sounds
yummy, but now I can't find it! I'm not even sure what the standard recipe
is, can anyone help?

Instead of using water, I boil them in milk which adds a creamy taste
to the whole. For DS I boil 8 oz whole milk with 1/2 cup oats, 1 Tbsp
raisins and 1 tsp cream of wheat, and even I like it, though I have
never been a fan of oatmeal.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Old July 29th 03, 08:38 PM
Larry McMahan

Anne Rogers writes:
: I just bought some oatmeal, but I'm not sure what to do with it, I'm sure
: I've sean a recipe somewhere for apple and raisin oatmeal which sounds
: yummy, but now I can't find it! I'm not even sure what the standard recipe
: is, can anyone help?

: -----------
: Anne Rogers

How hard can this be. :-) Add 1 cup oatmeal to 2 cups boiling water.
Boil 3 minutes. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. (you can skip this
step if you are really hungry, but watch out, it's hot!).
Add brown sugar to taste and chow down. :-)

BTW, I think that makes two servings.

Larry
Old July 29th 03, 09:05 PM
teapot

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:26:48 +0100, Anne Rogers wrote:
I just bought some oatmeal, but I'm not sure what to do with it, I'm sure
I've sean a recipe somewhere for apple and raisin oatmeal which sounds
yummy, but now I can't find it! I'm not even sure what the standard recipe
is, can anyone help?

-----------
Anne Rogers

this website is brilliant for recipes

http://www.recipesource.com/

teapot

Old July 29th 03, 10:11 PM
ted

I eat this for breakfast EVERY morning:

1 cup oatmeal
1.5 cups milk
few raisins
brownsugar
any fruit in the vicinity (peach/nectarine/half a banana/apricot. no
apples.. too lazy to cut them)
optional: cinnamon & salt

I throw all this in a tupperware container and microwave it for 2min
30secs. Close the container, take it work and eat it half an hour
later.

The thing is not everyone likes oatmeal prepared like this. It's an
ultimate acquired taste. Go to epicurious.com and look for recipes for
granola. you can eat it like you eat cereal.

HTH.

Old July 29th 03, 11:00 PM
Valerie Rake

OK, variation on the question. I assume we're not talking about
"instant oatmeal," which is the easiest oatmeal to buy in American
supermarkets. I've made oatmeal from "steel cut oats" which I vastly
prefer to to the instant stuff, but my recipes for this have cook/simmer
times in the 20 minute range.

So, which oatmeal products are people talking about here? And does the
instant stuff have the same galaca-whatever effect? ;-) [can't remember
the spelling]

Valerie

Old July 30th 03, 04:40 AM
Chookie

In article ,
Larry McMahan wrote:

How hard can this be. :-) Add 1 cup oatmeal to 2 cups boiling water.
Boil 3 minutes. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. (you can skip this
step if you are really hungry, but watch out, it's hot!).
Add brown sugar to taste and chow down. :-)

BTW, I think that makes two servings.

Yep -- I use 1/2 cup instant oats for porridge, with a little salt. Sometimes
I use half milk, half water -- and I eat it with milk and sugar, not just
sugar. If you use rolled oats, it takes longer to cook -- though you can soak
it overnight.

I have also occasionaly eaten it the Ukrainian way, with fruit conserve mixed
in (no milk, obviously). Another way is with fried onions, yum.

Another option -- good for summer -- is Bircher muesli. Put 1/2 cup rolled
oats in a bowl. Add 1/2 cup water (I think!). Leave in fridge overnight.
Next morning, add in natural yoghurt and fresh fruit to taste.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990