to stop or not to stop

Old November 25th 03, 05:15 PM
Anne Rogers

Default to stop or not to stop

I'm about to start a course of sertraline (Zoloft), if it works for my PND
I'll probably take it for a year. I've been told that though this has a
minimum risk for breastfeeding that as I have given him the benfit of 6
months breastfeeding and now would be the time to stop. What do people
think?

-----------
Anne Rogers

Old November 25th 03, 05:35 PM
Dawn Lawson

Anne Rogers wrote:

I'm about to start a course of sertraline (Zoloft), if it works for my PND
I'll probably take it for a year. I've been told that though this has a
minimum risk for breastfeeding that as I have given him the benfit of 6
months breastfeeding and now would be the time to stop. What do people
think?

I think you're getting poor advice, (sort of like my dr when he rx'd
Zoloft and told me to wean *in case* I had to change or increase meds)
Zoloft is FINE to nurse will taking. Why not give hte benefit of a year
of breastfeeding???

Dawn

Old November 25th 03, 05:43 PM
Anne Rogers

I'm about to start a course of sertraline (Zoloft), if it works for my PND
I'll probably take it for a year. I've been told that though this has a
minimum risk for breastfeeding that as I have given him the benfit of 6
months breastfeeding and now would be the time to stop. What do people
think?

I think you're getting poor advice, (sort of like my dr when he rx'd
Zoloft and told me to wean *in case* I had to change or increase meds)
Zoloft is FINE to nurse will taking. Why not give hte benefit of a year
of breastfeeding???

That's what I thought, the consultant was happy for me to make my own
choice (which is to continue breastfeeding) but the sister seemed to have
a really downer on me continuing to breastfeed and kept quoting vague bits
of research saying how bad it was, though I wonder how much of the bad
things would be because the mum is depressed not because the mum is taking
meds.

Old November 25th 03, 05:52 PM
New York Jen

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
I'm about to start a course of sertraline (Zoloft), if it works for my PND
I'll probably take it for a year. I've been told that though this has a
minimum risk for breastfeeding that as I have given him the benfit of 6
months breastfeeding and now would be the time to stop. What do people
think?

I stayed on Zoloft throughout pregnancy AND breastfeeding. My psychiatrist
was comfortable with my decision and got me all the information I needed.
In addition, I had called the company that manufactures the drug to find out
the safety. In my opinion, it was better to be a sane mother than be a
panic stricken mess. My son had absolutely no ill effects from the
Zoloft...and I watched carefully when he slowed down nursing because I
thought he might have some withdrawal, but NONE. Good luck!

- Jen

PS, Iphigenia, wanna poke in here?

Old November 25th 03, 07:10 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

Anne Rogers wrote:

[...]

Whose sister? The consultant's or yours? If the consultant is fine
with Zoloft and you want to continue breastfeeding, then it seems like a
perfect match to me!

Jeanne

Old November 25th 03, 07:33 PM
lynn

Anne Rogers wrote:

I'm about to start a course of sertraline (Zoloft), if it works for my PND
I'll probably take it for a year. I've been told that though this has a
minimum risk for breastfeeding that as I have given him the benfit of 6
months breastfeeding and now would be the time to stop. What do people
think?

I missed the original post...

I started zoloft when my DS was 6 months old, and kept on breastfeeding
for another year after that. My doctor thought the risk was minimal and
the benefit of breastfeeding was still great. Also, I was told that the
risk was even less since at 6 months the baby's bigger, and he's
starting to eat some solid food now too. So I say go for it, we had zero
problems. (And the zoloft worked wonders for my PPD)

- Lynn
Old November 25th 03, 08:35 PM
Tracey

Anne Rogers wrote:

I'm about to start a course of sertraline (Zoloft), if it works for my PND
I'll probably take it for a year. I've been told that though this has a
minimum risk for breastfeeding that as I have given him the benfit of 6
months breastfeeding and now would be the time to stop. What do people
think?

There is no reason to stop breastfeeding because you are taking Zoloft.
Breastfeeding is reccomended for a minimum of 1 year. If you are
breastfeeding successfully at this point why bother with the hassle and
expense of formula?

Old November 25th 03, 08:53 PM
Dawn Lawson

Bruce and Jeanne wrote:

Anne Rogers wrote:

[...]

Not A sister....THE sister. I suspect refering to a nursing aide or HV
with religious affiliations? That's how I read it, anyhow.

Certainly if the consultant has no problems with your continuing to
breastfeed whilst on Zoloft, then I'd ask teh sister for copies of the
research and dismiss any pressure to wean. The informaion I read did
suggest that Zoloft can cause weight gain issues for some bfd babies, so
I'd just suggest popping him on a scale now and in a month to see if
everything's ok (keeping in mind that this is when bfd babies tend to
plateau in their weight anyhow....)

Curious what bad things the sister was refering to?? And certainly if
you are depressed, it's very hard to be a full-on parent, so getting
treatment and doing what you want to do wrt breastfeeding seem to both
be important.

If I were in your shoes, (I WAS in your shoes!) I wouldn't wean for
Zoloft. No reason to.

Dawn

Jeanne

Old November 25th 03, 09:52 PM
Anne Rogers

That's what I thought, the consultant was happy for me to make my own
choice (which is to continue breastfeeding) but the sister seemed to have
a really downer on me continuing to breastfeed and kept quoting vague bits
of research saying how bad it was, though I wonder how much of the bad
things would be because the mum is depressed not because the mum is taking
meds.

Whose sister? The consultant's or yours? If the consultant is fine
with Zoloft and you want to continue breastfeeding, then it seems like a
perfect match to me!

sorry, I should of been clearer, in the UK a sister is a senior nurse, in
this context it was the sister in charge of the hospital ward I was
treated on.

Old November 25th 03, 09:55 PM
Anne Rogers

thanks everyone for your replies, I'll be picking up the drugs tomorrow,
I'll double check the name and dosage, but from what I have heard so far
I'm happy to continue breastfeeding, particularly since I took prozac for
2 months and according to my research this is worse than Zoloft.