What do your kids have for a bed-time snack?

Old October 10th 03, 12:20 PM
Scott Lindstrom

Default What do your kids have for a bed-time snack?

I'm just being curious. DS almost always has 3 scoops of mint
chocolate chip ice cream, sometimes followed by a bowl
of wheaties or cheerios. (I have *no* clue where he puts
it all). DD is all over the place, sometimes ice cream --
one scoop -- sometimes an apple or banana, sometimes
cookies.

Scott DD 10.3 and DS 7.6

Old October 10th 03, 03:42 PM
Claire Petersky

"Scott Lindstrom" wrote in message

I'm just being curious. DS almost always has 3 scoops of mint
chocolate chip ice cream, sometimes followed by a bowl
of wheaties or cheerios. (I have *no* clue where he puts
it all). DD is all over the place, sometimes ice cream --
one scoop -- sometimes an apple or banana, sometimes
cookies.

Emma for years had a carrot for a "bednight" snack. She's always been a
somewhat fussy eater, but as a toddler was much worse than she is now. She
did like carrots, though. The carrot thing got started about the time that
she quit having milk before bed time. I guess I never worried about choking,
and carrots to me seemed nutritious, and would ok even after having brushed
her teeth. I'd give her her carrot and then say good night, and she'd gnaw
on it before going to sleep.

I figure those carrots made up for many other deficiencies in her diet. Even
if she ate nothing but white and beige foods at lunch and dinner, an
enormous carrot at bedtime would have fiber and vitamins. Every so once in a
while I'd find a petrified carrot top or two inside her bedside drawer, a
small price to pay.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Please substitute earthlink.net for mousepotato.com
Home of the meditative cyclist at:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

Old October 10th 03, 04:10 PM
David desJardins

Scott Lindstrom writes:
I'm just being curious. DS almost always has 3 scoops of mint
chocolate chip ice cream, sometimes followed by a bowl of wheaties or
cheerios. (I have *no* clue where he puts it all). DD is all over
the place, sometimes ice cream -- one scoop -- sometimes an apple or
banana, sometimes cookies.

My three-year-olds will often eat popsicles, or a few chocolate-covered
raisins or M&Ms, or some dried or fresh fruit. (Or just some of
whatever I'm having for dinner, since I often come home and have dinner
between 8 and 9 pm, shortly before they start the final stage of getting
ready for bed. And they often like to eat whatever I'm eating.)

I wouldn't want them to eat ice cream every night. While 3-year-olds
don't really have an issue with consuming too much fat (or too much
saturated fat), especially my kids, who are thin, I think it doesn't set
a good pattern for later in life. I was in the habit of eating ice
cream every night, for a while (as an adult), and I only stopped because
I realized that it really wasn't healthy. Now I just have ice cream
once in a while, and try to more commonly have things that I like about
as much, but that don't have so much fat.

David desJardins

Old October 10th 03, 05:19 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article xrzhb.722132$Ho3.175848@sccrnsc03,
Claire Petersky wrote:

Emma for years had a carrot for a "bednight" snack. She's always been a
somewhat fussy eater, but as a toddler was much worse than she is now. She
did like carrots, though. The carrot thing got started about the time that
she quit having milk before bed time. I guess I never worried about choking,
and carrots to me seemed nutritious, and would ok even after having brushed
her teeth.

Cheese is a very good snack to have after brushing teeth because it has
a cavity-inhibiting effect. (For those who remember her, I learned
this from Paula Burch on misc.kids a long time ago.)

My kids don't usually have a bedtime snack, I realize as I read this thread.

--Robyn

Old October 10th 03, 05:36 PM
Rosalie B.

Scott Lindstrom wrote:

I'm just being curious. DS almost always has 3 scoops of mint
chocolate chip ice cream, sometimes followed by a bowl
of wheaties or cheerios. (I have *no* clue where he puts
it all). DD is all over the place, sometimes ice cream --
one scoop -- sometimes an apple or banana, sometimes
cookies.

Scott DD 10.3 and DS 7.6

Mine didn't have a bed-time snack. It never occurred to me to give
them one after they were weaned.

My mom was of the opinion that my dad didn't feel a meal was complete
unless he had something sweet, no matter how tiny at the end. So he
had to have something at the end of dinner even when dieting.

But that didn't translate into a bedtime snack - for anybody -

grandma Rosalie

Old October 10th 03, 06:40 PM
Splanche

I'm just being curious. DS almost always has 3 scoops of mint
chocolate chip ice cream, sometimes followed by a bowl
of wheaties or cheerios. (I have *no* clue where he puts
it all). DD is all over the place, sometimes ice cream --
one scoop -- sometimes an apple or banana, sometimes
cookies.

Scott DD 10.3 and DS 7.6

To me, a bed time snack is something small-- usually cheese or raisins-- maybe
a banana.
I'd be concerned that eating that much carbs (ice cream and cereal) that late
could disrupt sleep patterns.
What time do your kids eat dinner? It sounds healthier to give them a small
snack before dinner, and just make dinner later if they are this hungry before
bed.
In our house, dinner is at about 6pm, then we sometimes wait until 7:30 for
dessert, and by 8:30 it's time to start upstairs for a 9pm lights out.

Old October 10th 03, 07:08 PM
user

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:42:55 EDT, Claire Petersky wrote:
[...]

Both our kids LOVE ice cream cones as their bedtime snack - no ice cream,
mind you, just the cones.

My 3 yr old also, more often than not, chooses to eat pickles.

Old October 10th 03, 07:09 PM
Scott Lindstrom

Splanche wrote:
[...]

We usually eat 5ish, although lately it's been after 6.
Bedtime for DS is 8, so he usually is having his
snack before then. He has no problem at all falling
asleep, or sleeping.

DS is a total carb fiend. He'd eat nothing but
pasta if we'd accommodate him.

Scott DD 10 and DS 7

Old October 10th 03, 07:43 PM
David desJardins

Splanche writes:
To me, a bed time snack is something small-- usually cheese or
raisins-- maybe a banana. I'd be concerned that eating that much
carbs (ice cream and cereal) that late could disrupt sleep patterns.

I took "bedtime snack" to mean anything eaten after dinner. My
3-year-olds generally eat dinner around 6:00 or 6:30, and they don't go
to sleep until around 10:30. That's a long time, and sometimes they
want some pretty substantial food in that interval, which seems
reasonable to me.

David desJardins

Old October 10th 03, 09:04 PM
Kevin Karplus

My 7-year-old son insists on an apple every night, cut up, though he
will accept melon in season.

We've recently added a cup of milk to his bedtime snack, since we
worry about him not getting enough calcium and protein during the day.

We brush his teeth (he refuses to brush his own) after his snack.

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Professor of Computer Engineering, University of California, Santa Cruz

Fighting Over Kids Stepdad1963 General 8 May 5th 04 07:15 PM
WSJ: How to Give Your Child A Longer Life Jean B. General 0 December 9th 03 06:10 PM
FWD bad judgement or abuse Trunk kids begged to ride Kane General 2 August 5th 03 05:54 PM