hearing in 5 year old

Old May 10th 05, 06:49 AM
cara

Default hearing in 5 year old

I've wondered lately about my 5 year old's hearing. It seems that lately
she just doesn't hear me, and I have to repeat myself several times
fairly loud. I know part of it is that she's distracted by other
things, but it seems more than that to me. Her 5yo well check up was a
few weeks ago and they did a simple hearing test on her and it was fine,
although was administered by a medical assistant, not an audiologist.
In general she has a nasal sounding voice, I wonder if its related? At
what point would you get a more advanced screening, or brush it off as
distracted? Her diction and vocabulary are excellent, by the way.

cara (really tired of repeating myself!)
Old May 10th 05, 09:47 AM
Nan

On Tue, 10 May 2005 05:49:14 GMT, cara wrote:

I've wondered lately about my 5 year old's hearing. It seems that lately
she just doesn't hear me, and I have to repeat myself several times
fairly loud. I know part of it is that she's distracted by other
things, but it seems more than that to me. Her 5yo well check up was a
few weeks ago and they did a simple hearing test on her and it was fine,
although was administered by a medical assistant, not an audiologist.
In general she has a nasal sounding voice, I wonder if its related? At
what point would you get a more advanced screening, or brush it off as
distracted? Her diction and vocabulary are excellent, by the way.

cara (really tired of repeating myself!)

Is this a new development, or has it been going on for a while? I ask
because she may well have fluid built up in her ears. You might
consider taking her to an ENT for an ear exam. We just had tubes
inserted in my 5 year old's ears a few months ago, and it was like
getting a brand new child. No more, "huh?"!
But, our dd had some ear infections that tipped us off. Fluid build
up can occur with or without an infection.

Nan

Old May 10th 05, 01:05 PM
Clisby

Nan wrote:
[...]

I would second this. When my daughter was 6, she suffered temporary,
moderate hearing loss in both ears because of allergies. (We felt
really bad because we had been scolding her for almost 2 weeks about not
paying attention, when it finally dawned on us that she literally could
not hear what we were saying.) This was at the height of Atlanta's
horrendous pollen season - 2 weeks of Claritin, and she was right as
rain. Oddly enough, she didn't show any other signs of allergy - no
sneezing, itchy eyes, etc.

Clisby
Old May 10th 05, 01:23 PM
Nikki

cara wrote:
I've wondered lately about my 5 year old's hearing. It seems that
lately she just doesn't hear me, and I have to repeat myself several
times fairly loud. I know part of it is that she's distracted by
other things, but it seems more than that to me. Her 5yo well check
up was a few weeks ago and they did a simple hearing test on her and
it was fine, although was administered by a medical assistant, not an
audiologist. In general she has a nasal sounding voice, I wonder if
its related? At what point would you get a more advanced screening,
or brush it off as distracted? Her diction and vocabulary are
excellent, by the way.

I had my son tested at 4yo by an audiologist. IIRC it was about $130 and I
don't regret it all. He was *constantly* asking what..what?...What!?
Drives me bonkers :-)

His hearing is excellent and I didn't expect it to be bad. He has some
other language things but it was a starting point for me. It didn't cost as
much as I had anticipated and went towards my deductible so it all worked
out. It was sure a relief to not have the question of his hearing hanging
over my head though.
--
Nikki

Old May 10th 05, 02:41 PM
Melania

Nan wrote:
[...]

Indeed - I was prone to ear infections as a child, and by the middle of
grade 1 I was sitting at the front of the class in order to hear the
teacher. They had my hearing tested and it was deteriorating, so they
got me in to an ENT and I had fluid buildup in each ear. I had tubes
put through my eardrums to drain them at age 6, and my hearing greatly
improved.

Melania
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003)
and #2 (edd May 21, 2005)

Old May 10th 05, 05:08 PM
Sue

"cara" wrote in message
et...
I've wondered lately about my 5 year old's hearing. It seems that lately
she just doesn't hear me, and I have to repeat myself several times
fairly loud. I know part of it is that she's distracted by other
things, but it seems more than that to me. Her 5yo well check up was a
few weeks ago and they did a simple hearing test on her and it was fine,
although was administered by a medical assistant, not an audiologist.
In general she has a nasal sounding voice, I wonder if its related? At
what point would you get a more advanced screening, or brush it off as
distracted? Her diction and vocabulary are excellent, by the way.

cara (really tired of repeating myself!)

While it could very well be an allergy or an ear infection, I went through
the same thing with DD3 when she was five years old. I was constantly having
to repeat myself. I went to the health department and got a free hearing
test by the audiologist and it was determined that everything was fine. She
was just tuning me out and being distracted by her toys or whatever she was
doing. I had to get down on her level and make eye contact with her to
listen to me. Make sure you are not talking too much because they start to
tune us out after a while. Good luck, I hope it's nothing.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old May 10th 05, 10:33 PM
Nan

On Tue, 10 May 2005 12:05:43 GMT, Clisby
wrote:

I would second this. When my daughter was 6, she suffered temporary,
moderate hearing loss in both ears because of allergies. (We felt
really bad because we had been scolding her for almost 2 weeks about not
paying attention, when it finally dawned on us that she literally could
not hear what we were saying.) This was at the height of Atlanta's
horrendous pollen season - 2 weeks of Claritin, and she was right as
rain. Oddly enough, she didn't show any other signs of allergy - no
sneezing, itchy eyes, etc.

As a youngster I had problems with wax build-up blocking my hearing.
My mom was forever scolding me until she finally took me to an ENT and
he cleaned them out. I had to get them cleaned a few times and
eventually the build-up stopped.

Nan
Old May 10th 05, 10:48 PM
Jeanne

"Sue" wrote in message
"cara" wrote in message
et...

She
was just tuning me out and being distracted by her toys or whatever she
was
doing. I had to get down on her level and make eye contact with her to
listen to me. Make sure you are not talking too much because they start to
tune us out after a while. Good luck, I hope it's nothing.

I also wondered about a possible hearing problem with DD in connection with
a possible learning disability. When I talked with her ped, he asked me to
test the hearing by saying very very quietly, "Mall." and see what DD's
reaction was. Her head whipped around so fast. So much for hearing
loss.

She was tuning me out and I was getting lazy. I agree with Sue, call her
name, make sure you're making eye contact and then say your piece.

Jeanne

Old May 11th 05, 03:31 AM
cara

Jeanne wrote:
"Sue" wrote in message

"cara" wrote in message
.net...

She
was just tuning me out and being distracted by her toys or whatever she
was
doing. I had to get down on her level and make eye contact with her to
listen to me. Make sure you are not talking too much because they start to
tune us out after a while. Good luck, I hope it's nothing.

I also wondered about a possible hearing problem with DD in connection with
a possible learning disability. When I talked with her ped, he asked me to
test the hearing by saying very very quietly, "Mall." and see what DD's
reaction was. Her head whipped around so fast. So much for hearing
loss.

That was my husband's thinking, that she was just tuning us out....so we
tested it, he was saying 'princesses, candy, let's take Z to the toy
store etc' all the things she loves and there was no response. Of
course it was in a low conversational tone and she was busily engaged in
another activity, so maybe she thought we were just chatting. I'll try
it today without him or other major distractions around.

I do think I talk too much and so she probably just figures I'm
yabbering on about who knows what half the time

cara
Old May 11th 05, 03:34 AM
cara

Nan wrote:

[...]

It is a recent development, I would say in the past 2 months or so I've
noticed it more. She's never had an ear infection, but I do wonder
about allergies in conjuction with her nasal tone of late. I'd love to
not have to repeat myself several times, sounds like heaven!!

cara