calorically dense toddler snacks?

Old February 2nd 04, 03:20 PM
Dawn Lawson

Default A new problem... calorically dense toddler snacks?

Hillary Israeli wrote:
In x9ySb.343576$ts4.63443@pd7tw3no,
Dawn Lawson wrote:

*What about going for some "ethnic" foods - chinese, indian, etc, that
*are spicier and use a different flavor spectrum to some extent than
*"western" food?

That would be our normal dinner type food around here

yeah, it sounded a bit like it, but just thought i'd say it ;-)

she's been doing this thing for the past three days
where she takes food into her mouth, chews it for a while, and spits it
out. She's really just not eating very much and I'm at my wits' end. Now,
she's still urinating and defecating so I know she is eating "enough" to
function. But she's definitely eating less than half the amount per day
she was eating before the cold. I'm not sure how to handle this. Thoughts
on this one??

Is there any reason to think she might have allergies? I wondered this
the other day, because someone else was talking about allergies making a
young child basically refuse food because of the strange/unpleasant
feelings in their mouth/throat/etc.

I'm not sure what to suggest, otherwise.
She won't drink something like Pediasure or similar, will she?

Dawn

Old February 2nd 04, 06:23 PM
Irene

"Nikki" wrote in message ...
Molly Fisher wrote:
In article , Hillary Israeli
But she's definitely eating less than half the amount per
day she was eating before the cold. I'm not sure how to handle this.
Thoughts on this one??

Maybe she has a sore throat? If it hurts to swallow, perhaps she's
just avoiding doing it. If I'm right about this, just be patient and
keep offering. When she feels better she'll eat as usual--maybe more.

The sore throat makes sense. Warm soup might be easier, or cold ice cream.
Hunter lost his appetite for about 2 weeks after any cold or illness. It
always came back on its own. He was big though so I didn't have to figure
out a way to hurry him along :-( Good luck to you guys!

If it's a sore throat, is she ready for popsicle-like things? Real
ones have aspartame, but you could make your own and avoid that.

Irene
Old February 2nd 04, 07:04 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Irene wrote:

If it's a sore throat, is she ready for popsicle-like things? Real
ones have aspartame, but you could make your own and avoid that.

Heh? I've never seen a normal popsicle with aspartame (special diet /
sugar-free ones, sure, but not plain ones). Lots of high-fructose corn
syrup, though.

Phoebe

Old February 2nd 04, 09:28 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Molly Fisher wrote:

*Maybe she has a sore throat? If it hurts to swallow, perhaps she's just
*avoiding doing it. If I'm right about this, just be patient and keep
*offering. When she feels better she'll eat as usual--maybe more.

I thought of that, but she's refusing the smoothie-ice-cubes I gave her,
too.

Old February 2nd 04, 09:35 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ZUtTb.372768$JQ1.86242@pd7tw1no,
Dawn Lawson wrote:

*Is there any reason to think she might have allergies? I wondered this
*the other day, because someone else was talking about allergies making a
*young child basically refuse food because of the strange/unpleasant
*feelings in their mouth/throat/etc.

Well, we all have allergies around here, though not food ones (yet). I"ll
keep it in mind.

*I'm not sure what to suggest, otherwise.
*She won't drink something like Pediasure or similar, will she?

Well, she drank about 4 oz of orange juice (calcium fortified ) today,
so that's something. I have a just-back-from-the-store carton of chocolate
milk to try, too.

Old February 3rd 04, 02:57 PM
Irene

Phoebe & Allyson wrote in message ...
Irene wrote:

If it's a sore throat, is she ready for popsicle-like things? Real
ones have aspartame, but you could make your own and avoid that.

Heh? I've never seen a normal popsicle with aspartame (special diet /
sugar-free ones, sure, but not plain ones). Lots of high-fructose corn
syrup, though.

Phoebe

That's what I get for not putting in my usual disclaimer! I thought
it was aspartame, but there is definitely something in the sugar-free
ones, and I don't remember seeing the non-sugar-free ones. BTW, are
you in the US or the UK? At first I thought you were in the UK, I'm
not sure why, but then the thread about being an EA made me wonder...

Irene