Advice

Old September 19th 04, 07:16 PM
Baconluvva

Default Advice

Hi.

My wife and I separated last November whilst we were on holiday and she
returned to Australia with our 5 year old daughter. (without my knowledge I
hasten to add but that's another story). They both now live with my
estranged wife's parents at their house in Victoria.

I spoke to my wife the other day and she said she was applying for a single
mother's pension and that the CSA would need to contact me to cough up part
thereof. I have no objections to supporting my daughter and am happy to
contribute to her upbringing even though I never see her which is
emotionally horrible, it's a sickening feeling that brings tears to my eyes
everytime I dwell on her. I speak to her a few times a week and we both miss
each other alot and I am committed to being there for her even though I am
12,000 miles away, it's the pits.

I am not working at the moment, I gave up my (very well paid and great) job
to go travelling with the family to Spain last year. I returned to the UK
after she had left then and went to Australia pretty much straight away to
spend time with my daughter.

I am not claiming any benefits and I am staying with a friend in a spare
room until I get back on my feet again. Looking for work etc.

I have not yet heard from the CSA in Ausytralia yet but having subscribed to
this newsgroup and seen some of the posts I am concerned as to what to
expect.

I've had a go with these calculators and what have you but still am unsure
as to how much the CSA will ask for.

So in a nutshell .......................

Wifey and daughter live at her parents house.
Wifey works in mother in law's shop and does some waitressing a few day a
week in the evenings.

Me.
Not on benefits.
No job (yet)
Staying with a friend.
Bank account = zilch.
Time with my daughter = zero.

What will the CSA want from me?

Thanks for letting me bend your ears and look forward to any help/advice
anyone can offer me.

Cheers.

Charles

Old September 22nd 04, 02:48 AM
pdm

Hmm.

C$A as the name implies does not care at all about the fact you don't see
your daughter at all nor does it care about your financial situation or
anything but the $$$.

If you are unemployed they will demand the minimum payment of $20 per month
from you.

If you gain employment, the first $11,561 of gross you make is exempt.
After that you pay 18% (for one child) of your gross income but you pay it
*after* you pay tax on it so the effective rate is much higher. I don't
know what the tax rates are like in the UK.

An interesting point to note here is that the C$A is part of the Australian
Taxation Office. I would be interested to know what jurisdiction they have
to garnish your salary paid in another country - I suspect none. However
C$A will try to bluff you into believeing they do have authority.

My advise would be to not pay any money whatsoever unless you get a written
private agreement with your ex lodged with the family court. A verbal
agreement means nothing. If you cannot achieve this then please do not
succumb to the C$A threats as I believe they will have no legal means of
garnishing your salary.

I totally support the concept of paying child support but the Australian
system is very unfair and inequitable.

P.S I live in Victoria. Whereabouts is your ex and daughter living ? Drop
me an email if you want to discuss this further offline.

. uk...

Old October 16th 04, 09:20 PM
Phil

**** the system and get the dole, get the tax payer to support her cos Child
Support sucks and will come after you. Apply to the court to see your
Daughter.
[...]

Advice needed for new book on pregancy HeadMom Pregnancy 0 July 15th 04 08:32 PM
Need advice!!! Marnie Pregnancy 28 February 6th 04 12:09 AM
Deal to Pay Off Back Support: Urgent Advice Needed Noncustodial Indentured Servant Child Support 21 November 10th 03 10:47 AM
Ann Landers advice for NIP Mvbff778 Breastfeeding 6 October 19th 03 01:25 AM