I'm kind of cheesed off!

Old October 16th 03, 03:48 PM
Missy in Indiana

Default I'm kind of cheesed off!

So, why didn't A & A??
Now, doesn't that make you even more teed?

You bet! I kept trying to find a nice reason why she didn't get them their own
gift. But, I still didn't understand why she didn't just ask you first.
Sadly, it seems clear that benefit of the doubt isn't going to work for her.
Argh! That would have hurt my feelings or brought out the protective mama in
me at least in to a small extent. Let's face it, it stinks when our little
one(s) may not be treated as we believe they should. It kind of makes you
wonder if it will get better or worse with time as each birthday passes with
the relative. It's got to be frustrating for you.

Missy in Indiana http://hometown.aol.com/mhrust/overviewforng.html
Morgan Olivia & Julia Lucille 4/28/01 (YAY!)

Old October 16th 03, 05:24 PM
Megan Byrne

Default I'm kind of cheesed off!-Missy

If you only knew what I put up with when it comes to my IL's. It would
take me hours and hours and hours to fill you in on how they treat my
kids and myself. Kids are innocent. If you dislike me, that's one thing,
but don't hurt the kids because of it.

Megan
Mommy to miracle twins...
Aidan & Alexis
Born 9-28-02

Old October 16th 03, 06:57 PM
Ellen Kmetz

I agree with David on the card thing, also. It doesn't bother me at all when
the boys only get one card. Having said that, I am a little appalled at the
one ride-on toy for two toddlers to share! No excuse for that one, IMO. If
it's the $$, get two of *anything*, even if it's just a coloring book! Kids
at that age don't know if a gift costs a hundred dollars or two dollars. They
just want to open their own stuff! Luckily for Megan they are still very
young...but at a third birthday that would be a complete nightmare!

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00

Old October 16th 03, 10:13 PM
Twinzmommie

I kept trying to find a nice reason why she didn't get them their own
gift. But, I still didn't understand why she didn't just ask you first.
BRBR

The only reason I can offer or even think of on this is the reason I have been
given in similar situations. The giver is meaning to not only surprise the
child/ren. He/she is also trying to surprise the parents as well.

My MIL gave Riley and James each little gifts for Easter this past year. The
toys were equal in size and probably in value but they were totally different.
Of course James wanted what Riley had been given. He cried and fussed and
fought with her because he wanted what she had.

I know my MIL did not want this to happen, and she did not even concider that
it might happen. She does not spend that much time with the kids to have that
kind of insight. If she had asked, both DH and I would have told her that at
this age it is probably best to buy two of the same. When they are older and
their personal interests are more defined I am sure this will not be
neccessary, but for the time being it would create much more harmony. I think!

Michelle
Mommy to Riley Claire & James Michael

Old October 17th 03, 05:44 AM
David desJardins

Ellen Kmetz writes:
I agree with David on the card thing, also. It doesn't bother me at
all when the boys only get one card. Having said that, I am a little
appalled at the one ride-on toy for two toddlers to share! No excuse
for that one, IMO. If it's the $$, get two of *anything*, even if
it's just a coloring book!

I can see both sides. We have lots of riding toys, but no two alike.
At age 1, I would be happy to get one riding toy. Children at that age
don't understand gifts, so I wouldn't worry about having each of them
get something of their "own". And, while having two identical toys
could conceivably reduce arguments, I think my kids are perfectly
capable of fighting over one toy even if there's another identical one
available. I think part of growing up is learning to take turns and
share. So, in general, I'd rather have a variety of different toys,
than have fewer and two of each. Plus, if one toy is exceptionally
popular, we can always get another, but if a toy is a bust it's a shame
to already have two of them.

David desJardins