Allergic to mosquito's!!!????

Old April 25th 04, 04:36 AM
KimandJuan

Default Allergic to mosquito's!!!????

We just returned from our family vacation and it was the WORST! It appears
Aislyn is allergic to mosquitoes of all things??!!! Has anyone ever heard of
this before? What are we supposed to do? Never leave the house again?

To make a long story short....

Three weeks ago I notice a rash on Aislyn's hand between her fingers. The next
morning there was an enormous blister. So I took her in to see the DR. He
said it was probably an infected spider bite. So it was antibiotics and all
was well within a week.

Two weeks ago the same thing happens to her foot. I don't take her to the DR
this time (they are pretty quick to just prescribe antibiotics so I wanted to
wait it out a few days). It starts out as a small red area then a blister the
next day and later looks like a bruise then within a week it had healed.

While on vacation last Sunday I saw a mosquito biting her on her right temple
and I shooed it away. Well, the next morning her eye was puffy and red. Then
after nap IT WAS SWOLLEN SHUT! So I have to take her to an urgent care clinic.
The doctor there says it is just an infected bite. And prescribes antibiotics
and bendryl. Well, there was no blister this time, but other then that it was
the same as the others, it went down slowly over a week.

I am at a lost I don't know what to do. I was talking to a lady at story time
yesterday and she said that her son is allergic to insect bites and they use a
steroid cream once he is stung to keep swelling down. It is called Elocon.
But the more I read on that it says it is not recommended for kids under 2.

So that was just a small piece of our disastrous vacation and our mystery
allergy. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
~Kimberly
Mommy to Alexis Iliana 07/17/99 and
Emma Elidia & Aislyn Gabriela 10/01/02
come see us...
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aislynemma/
Old April 25th 04, 07:53 AM
animzmirot

Allergies to insects aren't to be taken lightly. I don't tknow the age of
your daughter, but if she's young and reacting so strongly to insect bites,
you need to consider that things could go from bad to worse fairly quickly.
I suggest that you take her to an pedicatric allergist as soon as possible
and have her tested. She might have life threatening issues with bee stings
and/or spider bites.

I'm allergict to most insect bites, as are two of my children. We all react
similarly to your daughter. However, the telltale sign that you have an
issue is that her eye swelled up to the point where it was swollen shut.
THAT IS NOT GOOD.

You might need to get an epipen for her, just in case. Please, see an
allergist asap.

Marjorie

Old April 25th 04, 02:37 PM
KimandJuan

Thank you so much for the advice. I was feeling like I might be over reacting
because all the doctors just kind of brush it off and prescribe an antibiotic.
They seem to think she is not allergic but rather the bite got infected.

I will insist on getting a referral to an allergist!

Do you have any experience with the corti-steroid cream?

Old April 25th 04, 03:37 PM
Terri and Rob

Do you have any experience with the corti-steroid cream?
I do, for my older son who has severe eczema. What did you want to know about it?

--
Terri & Rob
Colton (11-29-00)