rubber balls

Old February 17th 06, 10:43 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default rubber balls

OK, here's an odd question. I've noticed many pregnant women own those
big rubber balls -- the kind I used to do sit-ups at the gym. Are there
exercises one can do with them while pregnant? All the exercises I used
them for wouldn't work now that I have the abdominal strength of a rag
doll. If they're not for "core strength," what the heck are they for?
--
Sara
accompanied by TK, due in April

Quoting, for users of Google Groups:
http://groups.google.com/support/bin...4213&topic=250
Old February 17th 06, 11:06 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"Anonymama" wrote in message
OK, here's an odd question. I've noticed many pregnant women own those
big rubber balls -- the kind I used to do sit-ups at the gym. Are there
exercises one can do with them while pregnant? All the exercises I used
them for wouldn't work now that I have the abdominal strength of a rag
doll. If they're not for "core strength," what the heck are they for?

Actually, some recommend sitting on one instead of a chiar just to improve
your stability. At my gym we do a ton of stability and core strength
exercises. A lot of them just involve standing on a bosu ball or doing
shoulder presses while sitting on the ball.

JennP.

Old February 17th 06, 11:43 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Anonymama wrote:
OK, here's an odd question. I've noticed many pregnant women own those
big rubber balls -- the kind I used to do sit-ups at the gym. Are there
exercises one can do with them while pregnant? All the exercises I used
them for wouldn't work now that I have the abdominal strength of a rag
doll. If they're not for "core strength," what the heck are they for?

They are good for fetal positioning.

http://www.spinningbabies.com/pregnancy.html

People also do use them during labor, but sitting on it was not
a good position for me. Putting it up on the bed and leaning on
it worked well, though!

Mary W.

Old February 18th 06, 12:07 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"Anonymama" wrote in message
OK, here's an odd question. I've noticed many pregnant women own those
big rubber balls -- the kind I used to do sit-ups at the gym. Are there
exercises one can do with them while pregnant? All the exercises I used
them for wouldn't work now that I have the abdominal strength of a rag
doll. If they're not for "core strength," what the heck are they for?

I sat on mine during labor, and the hospital had a "peanut", which was like
two pilates balls merged together (more stability). If I wasn't in the tub,
I was on that thing...so much more comfortable than sitting on a harder
surface and I could sit on it and lean forward and rest my upper body on the
bed.
Since baby has been home, it's great for sitting on and bouncing while
holding her....she much prefers it to the rocking chair.
Amy

Old February 18th 06, 12:58 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

In article , wrote:

among other things, they are great for sitting on when you are in
labor!

How so?

Old February 18th 06, 01:00 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

In article ,
"JennP" wrote:

Actually, some recommend sitting on one instead of a chiar just to improve
your stability. At my gym we do a ton of stability and core strength
exercises. A lot of them just involve standing on a bosu ball or doing
shoulder presses while sitting on the ball.

Interesting. I don't think I'd like to stand on one while pregnant --
what if I fell? Thunk...

Old February 18th 06, 01:01 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

In article .net,
"Mary W." wrote:

They are good for fetal positioning.

http://www.spinningbabies.com/pregnancy.html

Neat-o. I'm paranoid about having another wrong-way-round baby, and this
seems like a harmless exercise...

Old February 18th 06, 01:02 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

In article , "V."
wrote:

I sat on mine during labor, and the hospital had a "peanut", which was like
two pilates balls merged together (more stability). If I wasn't in the tub,
I was on that thing...so much more comfortable than sitting on a harder
surface and I could sit on it and lean forward and rest my upper body on the
bed.

Oh, I get it -- because it's squishy, and doesn't have a seat. Thanks. I
just might go get me one of those...

Old February 18th 06, 07:04 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"Anonymama" wrote in message

Interesting. I don't think I'd like to stand on one while pregnant --
what if I fell? Thunk...

I can't stand on one not pregnant. A bosu is kind of like a half ball with
a platform on one side. You can turn it over so you can stand on either the
ball or the platform. Both sides are challenging.

JennP.

Old February 18th 06, 09:57 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

OK, here's an odd question. I've noticed many pregnant women own those
big rubber balls -- the kind I used to do sit-ups at the gym. Are there
exercises one can do with them while pregnant? All the exercises I used
them for wouldn't work now that I have the abdominal strength of a rag
doll. If they're not for "core strength," what the heck are they for?

just for sitting on and resting in other positions rather than doing any
exercises

Anne