easy part songs for family singing?

Old July 18th 03, 08:46 PM
H Schinske

Default easy part songs for family singing?

I was wondering if anyone knew of some very easy part songs that would be fun
to sing as a family. Besides rounds, I can find those easily enough. My husband
and I have choral singing experience, and it seemed to me it would be fun to
learn some songs with our daughters (almost nine) and son (almost five, sings
pretty well in tune for his age). I'm an alto who can sing tenor if I have to,
my husband's a baritone. I don't see us doing madrigals and the like just yet.
Something REALLY simple to get started with. One of my daughters has enjoyed
Sacred Harp sings, but in general hymns would probably be too boring and the
words too difficult for the five-year-old.

--Helen (and no, my last name is NOT von Trapp)
Old July 18th 03, 09:02 PM
Sara

H Schinske wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knew of some very easy part songs that would be fun
to sing as a family. Besides rounds, I can find those easily enough. My
husband
and I have choral singing experience, and it seemed to me it would be fun to
learn some songs with our daughters (almost nine) and son (almost five, sings
pretty well in tune for his age).

When my sister and I were about those ages we'd sing this one with my
mom. Each person gets one part to sing over and over, starting after
the person before them has sung one line:

Fish and chips and vinegar, vinegar, vinegar
Fish and chips and vinegar will make you sick

One bottlecap, two bottlecap, three bottlecap, four bottlecap
One bottlecap, two bottlecap, three bottlecap, four bottlecap

Don't sweep your dust in my dustpan, my dustpan, my dustpan
Don't sweep your dust in my dustpan, my dustpan's full

Um... but I don't know how to tell you the tunes. Sorry.

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle

I check this e-mail account infrequently
Old July 18th 03, 10:12 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

For your nine-year old, I'd ask advice of your elementary school music
teacher, or at a music shop. There are lots of good songs she'll
enjoy. But your 5-year old will have a harder time. Mine, who is very
good with tunes etc, can handle rounds but only if he sings the same
part with someone else. I think it's an age thing; he can't hear other
people sing and not fall into singing the same part they are.

So, we're singing LOTS of rounds. (I used to join friends for a monthly
roung-singing evening. I miss it.)

--Beth Kevles

Old July 21st 03, 01:22 AM
Donna Metler

Alfred publishing has several wonderful collections of partner songs-where
two melodies are sung at the same time-a step up from rounds and a lot of
fun to sing.

Plank Road publications (www.musick8.com) has a music magazine which comes
out 5 times a year, with wonderful 1,2, and 3 part songs designed for
childrens voices, which would be good for family singing as well.

And, finally, any major music ed sheet music company like J.W. Peppers or
Stauntons Sheet Music will have thousands of SSA, SAB, and SATB folios of
almost any song you'd want to sing.