Teacher asks child to repeat kindergarten, Please help

Old March 11th 04, 11:44 PM
Galbo

Default Teacher asks child to repeat kindergarten, Please help

Hi,

My child is going to kindergarten in Cobb county , Georgia USA.

I have a feeling that the teacher is going to ask or recommend us to
get the kindergraten repeated.
Can anyone tell me whether its upto the teacher only or Parents have a
say whether your kids go to 1st grade or not.

My observation is that teacher is not very friendly with the kids and
that is pritty much what my child thinks but has never complained for
the teacher.

She turned 5 yrs, 2 weeks before cut off date which is September here
in Georgia.
Teacher informed us that she is having lots of problems moving from
one task to another but she is young.
I dont see any benefit of repeating the kindergarten for social skills
which i think she will pick up anyway as she grows.

At this late stage of kindergarten i dont see any point requesting
change of class. Even otherwise, the teacher is expecting lot of work
done in the class compared to other kindergarten clases which is a
good thing.

We switched school and in the previous school we were told that she is
ready for 1st grade just after few months in the school.
She is always excited to go to school and i think she is pritty well
mixed up with the kids.
And she seems quite upset when i told her that you might have to stay
in kindergarten, I have a feeling it will have only negative impact if
she repeats kindergarten and all the kids in her class move to 1st
grade.

I have seen she is doing quite well in the reading,math etc and i have
stopped teaching more advance things thinking it will put too much
pressure on her when its not really needed for KG or even 1st grade
curriculum.

Please give your opinion...

Thanks
galbo

Old March 12th 04, 11:27 AM
toypup

"Galbo" wrote in message
om...
I have a feeling that the teacher is going to ask or recommend us to
get the kindergraten repeated.
Can anyone tell me whether its upto the teacher only or Parents have a
say whether your kids go to 1st grade or not.

My observation is that teacher is not very friendly with the kids and
that is pritty much what my child thinks but has never complained for
the teacher.

It's been a long time, so this may not apply. My teacher recommended I
repeat kindergarten. I would have to say, of the many teachers I've had
over the years, she is the only one I would qualify as racist. I never told
my parents what she would do to me in class, but maybe they sensed it. My
dad did not take her recommendation and I did just fine in elementary
school, often the top of my class. Ask her the reasons she thinks your
daughter should repeat and judge for yourself.

Old March 12th 04, 11:28 AM
Kevin Karplus

In article ,
Galbo wrote:
[...]

I don't think that there is enough information in this message to give
an informed opinion about whether your daughter is ready for first
grade or not. You might want to ask the teacher point-blank for an
assessment of her readiness for first-grade. If she tells you that
your daughter should repeat kindergarten, you should go to the
principal and ask for an independent assessment.

If I were you, I would NOT stop teaching at home. In many cases, the
stuff kids learn at home is essential, as the schools fall down on one
thing or another. (Around here , they seem to fall down on science
education---almost all the kids I've met through science fairs and
such have gotten their science education from their parents, not from
the schools.)

If there are specific skills that your daughter lacks (or which the
teacher perceives your daughter lacks---not quite the same thing), you
could work on those skills with your daughter. For example, if it is
sitting still, or remaining focused on a task, or using scissors, or
holding a pencil, or raising her hand to ask a question, or counting,
or recognizing letters and sight words, then you could make up games
or activities at home that would develop that skill. Find out from
the teacher what skills she feels your daughter needs most, and work
on them. If the teacher has certain pet peeves, you can often turn
her whole attitude around by addressing one or two minor aspects of
your child's behavior.

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Affiliations for identification only.

Old March 12th 04, 11:28 AM
Ann Porter

"Galbo" wrote in message
om...

I have a feeling that the teacher is going to ask or recommend us to
get the kindergraten repeated.
Can anyone tell me whether its upto the teacher only or Parents have a
say whether your kids go to 1st grade or not.

snip

Please give your opinion...

Retention is usually not considered if the child is working up to grade. I
think before you waste another single minute worrying about this, you should
ask the teacher if s/he is actually considering retention. If your child is
doing well with reading, spelling, etc., then why would s/he?

Best,
Ann

Old March 12th 04, 11:28 AM
Donna Metler

"Galbo" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

My child is going to kindergarten in Cobb county , Georgia USA.

I have a feeling that the teacher is going to ask or recommend us to
get the kindergraten repeated.
Can anyone tell me whether its upto the teacher only or Parents have a
say whether your kids go to 1st grade or not.

In my district, until 3rd grade it is totally the parent's decision. The
school can recommend, but the parent has the choice.

Thanks
galbo

Old March 12th 04, 07:41 PM
Peggy Tatyana

My daughter was born two weeks after the cut-off date, so we waited until
she was almost six to put her in kindergarten. That was fine, but in first
grade she was very bored, so we moved her to a second grade class, where she
did just fine, and has ever since.

"Kevin Karplus" wrote

If I were you, I would NOT stop teaching at home. In many cases, the
stuff kids learn at home is essential, as the schools fall down on one
thing or another. (Around here , they seem to fall down on science
education---almost all the kids I've met through science fairs and
such have gotten their science education from their parents, not from
the schools.)

I'd agree with what Kevin has said here. If both you and she enjoy the
learning you do together, then by all means continue. I remember my mother
was scolded, when I was young, by a schoolteacher who said I would be a
nusiance to my teachers for having learned to read before I went to school.
But I hadn't learned to read at all -- I had only memorized a fair number of
books.

I'd also go along with the advice to speak to the teacher directly about
this. About a quarter of the school year remains, and that's probably enough
time to work on any weaknesses she thinks are important. From what you've
said, it would seem better to me if your daughter weren't retained for
another year.

Peggy

--
WWSD ***** What Would Samwise Do?

Old March 12th 04, 07:43 PM
Barbara

In article ,
Galbo wrote:
My child is going to kindergarten in Cobb county , Georgia USA.
I have a feeling that the teacher is going to ask or recommend us to
get the kindergraten repeated.
Can anyone tell me whether its upto the teacher only or Parents have a
say whether your kids go to 1st grade or not.
SNIP
Teacher informed us that she is having lots of problems moving from
one task to another but she is young.
I dont see any benefit of repeating the kindergarten for social skills
which i think she will pick up anyway as she grows.

SNIP
And she seems quite upset when i told her that you might have to stay
in kindergarten, I have a feeling it will have only negative impact if
she repeats kindergarten and all the kids in her class move to 1st
grade.

SNIP

IMHO, its premature to talk to your daughter about staying in
kindergarten until such time as the school talks to you, and a
decision is made.

Why not approach the teacher and the school about this? I don't think
I'd ask flat out if they are considering asking that she be held back
(which IMHO would suggest to them that you think its a viable option)
but, instead, talk about her progress and what skills, if any, they
think that you should work on over the summer to get her ready for
first grade.

If there is a suggestion that your daughter stay in kindergarten, you
should definitely ask to sit down with the teacher, principal and
anyone else who was involved in the recommendation to find out why
they are making the recommendation and how they believe that it would
benefit your daughter. Find out what accomodations would be made for
her as a more advanced kindergartener. Ask about what percentage of
kids born at her time of year are held back, and what percentage this
teacher holds back (providing additional information to you about
whether this was an individual decision based on your child vs. knee
jerk she's-young-hold-her-back). Find out what your rights are.
Withhold your own judgment until they present all of the information
to you. Its entirely possible that the school will provide some
information or insight that you did not know about.

If there are social issues, I do urge you to give them more
consideration than *she'll pick that up* I myself was a younger
kindergartener, and my parents asked that I be held back for social
reasons; the school refused. While I was consistently the most
advanced student intellectually, school life was social hell; I was
simply at the social and maturity level of the younger kids, and was
never able to catch up or cope. That's obviously not a universal
truth. You have to look at your daughter, and think about to whom she
would relate best.

We know any number of children who attended kindergarten or started a
year late for a plethora of reasons (including the fact that public
and private school deadlines differ here, so many fall babies attend
public K one year, and private the next, both times in the "right"
grade). When presented positively by the parents, none seem to suffer
ill effects.

Best of luck.

Barbara

Old March 12th 04, 07:45 PM
Mary Gordon

Here in Toronto, the cutoff for age is as of Dec 31, so my middle
child, born on December 25th, was the youngest in his class when he
started in kindergarten (a 2 year program here, for 4 and 5 year olds,
which mean he was 3 and 4 years old respectively starting off the
school year in September). He has always been extremely young for his
age and poorly coordinated and on top of that, had a learning
disability that resulted in some behavioural challenges (he has a
non-verbal learning disability, and has all kinds of over the top
reactions to sensory stuff).

He finished two years of kindergarten and was not ready for grade 1,
but the school thought it would be better for him to be in a more
structured all day program rather than another year in kindergarten.
He started getting a lot of extra help, but it was clear by Christmas
that he was in trouble (i.e. here the grade 2 curriculum is a quantum
leap from grade 1, and there was no way he could have coped). So, we
had him stay in Grade 1 for another year, and he continued to get
intensive help with reading etc.

The school was somewhat stunned that we wanted him held back, but
quite honestly, it was absolutely the right thing to do for this
particular child. It was invisible to his peers because our small
school has many split grades, and he was so young, so there was no
stigma. It was the only time it could have been done so invisibly. He
got another year to mature, and arrived in Grade 2 really ready. He
still gets some limited extra help, but he's in Grade 4 now, and
holding his own very well - and I heart and soul think he would have
been in big, big trouble without the gift of that extra year to catch
up developmentally.

I'm not saying this is your son's situation, but sometimes kids really
AREN'T ready and personally I think being pushed ahead when they are
still so young without the skill base and the maturity there can
result in a lot of emotional issues, and the kid getting the idea he's
a failure or stupid (i.e. the kid gets stressed, depressed, starts
acting out, hates school, doesn't want to try etc.).

I think you should have an open minded talk with the teacher about
your son's situation, and involve other educational professionals as
appropriate (i.e. have him assessed by someone else, if you don't
trust this particular teacher).

Mary G.

Old March 12th 04, 08:40 PM
LFortier

Galbo wrote:

She turned 5 yrs, 2 weeks before cut off date which is September here
in Georgia.
Teacher informed us that she is having lots of problems moving from
one task to another but she is young.
I dont see any benefit of repeating the kindergarten for social skills
which i think she will pick up anyway as she grows.

Depends on what you mean by social. I tend to think that
the whole "maturity" thing can be a bit overblown, and yes,
children will grow, but 1st grade is very different from
kindergarten, in my experience. Much more academic, higher
expectations of self control, etc. Could it be that her
problems with transitions are such that she would have
trouble in the more structured environment that she is
likely to find in 1st grade?

And whether it's entirely teacher decision or parent input
will depend on your state or county.

Lesley

Old March 12th 04, 09:58 PM
Herman Rubin

In article NN74c.10144$i76.153861@attbi_s03,
toypup wrote:

"Galbo" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Unless the reason is lack of mental ability, there is NO
reason not to go on. School should be for learning, not
for socializing.

Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558