Weight Gain Question

Old May 4th 04, 10:34 PM
Mickee

Default Weight Gain Question

My son is 1 year old and his weight is 18.5lb. At his previous visit, 2
months ago, it was 18.3lb.
His birth weight was 5.15lb and I am not concerned about his current weight
but more with his weight gain of just 0.2 in two months. The pediatrician
was not too concerned and said lets wait till next visit - 2 months from
now.

My question is - is it normal/common for babies to suddenly have such low
weight gain?

Thanks.

Old May 4th 04, 10:43 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Mickee" wrote:

My son is 1 year old and his weight is 18.5lb. At his previous visit, 2
months ago, it was 18.3lb.
His birth weight was 5.15lb and I am not concerned about his current weight
but more with his weight gain of just 0.2 in two months. The pediatrician
was not too concerned and said lets wait till next visit - 2 months from
now.

My question is - is it normal/common for babies to suddenly have such low
weight gain?

Thanks.

Not uncommon, at least. "Normal" is such an odd word sometimes -- it
may not be average, but it is not an indication of some abnormality,
either.

Growth DOES come in spurts. If your pediatrician isn't concerned, I
wouldn't be either.

meh

Old May 4th 04, 11:23 PM
Circe

Mickee wrote:
My son is 1 year old and his weight is 18.5lb. At his previous
visit, 2 months ago, it was 18.3lb.
His birth weight was 5.15lb and I am not concerned about his
current weight but more with his weight gain of just 0.2 in two
months. The pediatrician was not too concerned and said lets wait
till next visit - 2 months from now.

My question is - is it normal/common for babies to suddenly have
such low weight gain?

The "average" baby doubles his birthweight in the first 4-6 months, then
triples it by a year. For most babies, that means that weight gain slows
fairly dramatically in the second half of the first year. A gain of only 4
oz. in 2 months is a bit on the low side, but I don't think's it's abnormal
by any means. As babies get more mobile, it's quite common for their weight
gain to slow quite a bit, and that alone could explain the low gain. Also,
scales are by no means perfect, so it's entirely possible (especially if
your baby was not weighed on the same scale each time) that neither weight
is completely accurate and he has gained either more or less than you think.
IOW, don't sweat it.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Old May 5th 04, 04:11 AM
Jeff

"Mickee" wrote in message
My son is 1 year old and his weight is 18.5lb. At his previous visit, 2
months ago, it was 18.3lb.
His birth weight was 5.15lb and I am not concerned about his current

weight
but more with his weight gain of just 0.2 in two months. The pediatrician
was not too concerned and said lets wait till next visit - 2 months from
now.

My question is - is it normal/common for babies to suddenly have such low
weight gain?

Babies sometimes grow a lot in a short period of time, then don't seem to
grow for a while.

In addition, weights for anyone tend to be a little variable from one
weighing to another. When he was weighed the first time, depending on the
contents of his diaper, and other clothes (usually nurses just weigh little
kids in diapers)bladder, bowels, and stomach and level of hydration, he
could easily go up and down by 1 or 1 1/2 pounds from day to day.

I know my weight can easily go up as much as 5 lbs from one day to the next
and back down again the following day, depending on these things.

Jeff

Thanks.

Old May 6th 04, 10:02 PM
Naomi Pardue

ommon for babies to suddenly have such low
weight gain?

I wouldn't worry at all about a single low gain. He could be due for a growth
spurt any minute. Or his gain could have slowed due to being more active.
Given that his gain until until now has been fine, if he's doing well in other
ways (meeting his milestones, etc.) I'd relax and be glad he isn't outgrowing
his clothes too fast.

(My daughter had a weight gain pattern during this time period where she would
alternate ped visits where she gained just a few ounces with visits where she
gained several pounds.)

She's now a healthy (though still skinny) adolescent.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)