A Parenting & kids forum. ParentingBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ParentingBanter.com forum » misc.kids » Breastfeeding
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Is it possible to teach an infant to latch on past seven weeks of age?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 7th 07, 04:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 190
Default Is it possible to teach an infant to latch on past seven weeks of age?

Hi,

A friend's infant is now seven weeks old and has never learnt to latch
on. His mother continues to pump for him and bottle feed him

Is it possible for him to learn to latch on this late, and if so, how?

Thanks!

  #2  
Old October 7th 07, 04:39 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 234
Default Is it possible to teach an infant to latch on past seven weeks of age?

On Oct 6, 8:27 pm, Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward
wrote:
Hi,

A friend's infant is now seven weeks old and has never learnt to latch
on. His mother continues to pump for him and bottle feed him

Is it possible for him to learn to latch on this late, and if so, how?

Thanks!


It is likely possible. His mouth will be much bigger by now and it
may be physically easier for him to latch on than it was when he was
smaller.

Here is a list, though not complete, of some things that may make it
easier to get him nursing. There are way too many here to try all at
once:

Get him used to lots of skin to skin contact without pressure to
nurse. Sometimes plenty of skin to skin contact with nipples
available ends up with a baby latching on on his own at some point.

Get him used to spending time in a sling, if he is happy in it.

Try nursing when he is neither full, nor starving.

Put some milk on the nipple.

Pump until letdown, so the milk is coming when he tries.

If nipples are flat or inverted, pump a bit to draw them out first.

Some babies make the transition by using a nipple shield.

--Betsy

  #3  
Old October 7th 07, 07:07 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 443
Default Is it possible to teach an infant to latch on past seven weeksof age?

betsy wrote:
On Oct 6, 8:27 pm, Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward
wrote:
Hi,

A friend's infant is now seven weeks old and has never learnt to latch
on. His mother continues to pump for him and bottle feed him

Is it possible for him to learn to latch on this late, and if so, how?

Thanks!


It is likely possible. His mouth will be much bigger by now and it
may be physically easier for him to latch on than it was when he was
smaller.

Here is a list, though not complete, of some things that may make it
easier to get him nursing. There are way too many here to try all at
once:

Get him used to lots of skin to skin contact without pressure to
nurse. Sometimes plenty of skin to skin contact with nipples
available ends up with a baby latching on on his own at some point.

Get him used to spending time in a sling, if he is happy in it.

Try nursing when he is neither full, nor starving.

Put some milk on the nipple.

Pump until letdown, so the milk is coming when he tries.

If nipples are flat or inverted, pump a bit to draw them out first.

Some babies make the transition by using a nipple shield.


And a couple of others:

A supplemental nursing system (SNS) is a gadget that allows milk to be
delivered via a tube taped to a nipple, making it easier for the baby to
get milk when he sucks. This can transition some babies to learning to
suck on the nipple.

Having a bath with the baby can persuade some babies to latch.
Something about being in the water regressing them to newborn stage...

Has your friend spoken to a La Leche League leader or IBCLC
(international board-certified lactation consultant)? I think she's
going to need expert help & support with this.


All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell

  #4  
Old October 10th 07, 03:26 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 190
Default Is it possible to teach an infant to latch on past seven weeks of age?

On Oct 7, 2:07 pm, Sarah Vaughan wrote:
betsy wrote:
On Oct 6, 8:27 pm, Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward
wrote:
Hi,


A friend's infant is now seven weeks old and has never learnt to latch
on. His mother continues to pump for him and bottle feed him


Is it possible for him to learn to latch on this late, and if so, how?


Thanks!


It is likely possible. His mouth will be much bigger by now and it
may be physically easier for him to latch on than it was when he was
smaller.


Here is a list, though not complete, of some things that may make it
easier to get him nursing. There are way too many here to try all at
once:


Get him used to lots of skin to skin contact without pressure to
nurse. Sometimes plenty of skin to skin contact with nipples
available ends up with a baby latching on on his own at some point.


Get him used to spending time in a sling, if he is happy in it.


Try nursing when he is neither full, nor starving.


Put some milk on the nipple.


Pump until letdown, so the milk is coming when he tries.


If nipples are flat or inverted, pump a bit to draw them out first.


Some babies make the transition by using a nipple shield.


And a couple of others:

A supplemental nursing system (SNS) is a gadget that allows milk to be
delivered via a tube taped to a nipple, making it easier for the baby to
get milk when he sucks. This can transition some babies to learning to
suck on the nipple.

Having a bath with the baby can persuade some babies to latch.
Something about being in the water regressing them to newborn stage...

Has your friend spoken to a La Leche League leader or IBCLC
(international board-certified lactation consultant)? I think she's
going to need expert help & support with this.

All the best,

Sarah
--http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


Thank you both very much indeed for these encouraging and helpful
replies! I have passed them on to my friend.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
latch agony emilymr Breastfeeding 7 April 27th 07 09:23 PM
any diabetics go past 40 weeks [email protected] Pregnancy 8 February 19th 05 09:23 AM
Baby Trend Latch Loc Vicki S General 4 July 19th 04 01:41 AM
How long can bf'ing go on with a bad latch? Kathy Breastfeeding 17 November 4th 03 11:17 AM
Latch problem, need help CY Breastfeeding 4 September 16th 03 10:03 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 ParentingBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.