Zoloft/Sertraline and becoming pregnant

Old February 5th 04, 06:11 PM
Andrea

Default Zoloft/Sertraline and becoming pregnant

Hi,

I have suffered badly with cycles of antenatal and post natal depression. I
have only been on the meds for 13 days, but am thinking ahead into the
future.

What happens when I want to become pregnant? Do I have to come off the meds
first? I am scared of coming off the meds in the future as I know the
antenatal depression will return.

Can I stay on the meds?

Any thoughts/experiences greatly appreciated!

Old February 5th 04, 06:36 PM
Kari

I have suffered badly with cycles of antenatal and post natal depression.

have only been on the meds for 13 days, but am thinking ahead into the
future.

What happens when I want to become pregnant? Do I have to come off the

meds
first? I am scared of coming off the meds in the future as I know the
antenatal depression will return.

Can I stay on the meds?

Any thoughts/experiences greatly appreciated!

I was on Paxil when I became pregnant with my 2nd child. I was advised to
stay on it *if* I felt I needed it. I had been taking it for about 8 mos at
that point and went to therapy so I opted to stop taking it and was fine.

I was on Zoloft when I became pregnant with #3 and I also stopped taking it.
My midwife said it was safe but to weigh the pros and cons and for me, it
wasn't worth it. I was only taking 25mg a day and mostly to help me sleep,
ward off stress and headaches.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. I would not hesitate for a moment to
continue taking it if needed.

Kari
mom to Kaylie (8) Noah (4) and Xander (4 mos)

Old February 5th 04, 10:08 PM
New York Jen

"Andrea" wrote in message
Hi,

I have suffered badly with cycles of antenatal and post natal depression.

have only been on the meds for 13 days, but am thinking ahead into the
future.

What happens when I want to become pregnant? Do I have to come off the

meds
first? I am scared of coming off the meds in the future as I know the
antenatal depression will return.

Can I stay on the meds?

Any thoughts/experiences greatly appreciated!

I've been on Zoloft for the better part of 7 years, through both of my
pregnancies and through breastfeeding my son. I had an OB appt. today and
she was very nonchalant about the fact that I'm still on Zoloft...apparently
it's quite safe for pregnancy as well as breastfeeding and widely accepted
as such.

Good luck!

Jen - who can hardly believe you're thinking of number 6!!! :-)

Old February 6th 04, 04:49 AM
Spanannie

I went cold turkey off of Zoloft last pgcy and was miserable and was so
snippy the whole time. This pgcy, I stayed on Zoloft and have been in the
best mood ever! I am SO glad I decided to take the Zoloft this time and
feel confident that it won't hurt her a bit....and I believe a happy mama is
best for baby anyway.

Annie
mom to Zach born 6.19.02
and baby Grace due 6.20.04