zoloft/lustral/sertaline

Old December 5th 05, 02:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy

Default zoloft/lustral/sertaline

I have been on sertraline for over 2 years now, the brand in the uk is
"Lustral" made by Pfizer. As far as I know Zoloft is made by the same people
and just packaged differently, I once got some that had been packed for the
spanish market and they were labelled Zoloft, but the tablets were the same
and the packaging was the same colours etc. When my most recent script was
filled, what came back was "generic" I've looked at the BNF and other UK
based medicine lists and there is no evidence of a generic version being
available.

What I do know is that Prozac has several different generic versions
produced, anyone of which can be given when a prescription is written for
Fluoxetine, but it seems that the side effects and possibly other effects do
vary, so I'm feeling a bit nervous about taking something that is formulated
in a different way, particularly because it's effects aren't instant, I
won't be able to tell instantly whether there is a problem, in fact right
now I am feeling nervous enough that when I run out of the branded stuff I
may not actually take the other stuff.

I suppose the reason I am posting is because I was wondering if anyone else
has come across nonbranded sertaline? Should I try and get a script for
Lustral as opposed to sertraline?

Anne

Old December 5th 05, 10:37 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy

In article , Anne Rogers
writes
I have been on sertraline for over 2 years now, the brand in the uk is
"Lustral" made by Pfizer. As far as I know Zoloft is made by the same people
and just packaged differently, I once got some that had been packed for the
spanish market and they were labelled Zoloft, but the tablets were the same
and the packaging was the same colours etc. When my most recent script was
filled, what came back was "generic" I've looked at the BNF and other UK
based medicine lists and there is no evidence of a generic version being
available.

Netdoctor does mention a generic available, although neither the BNF nor
the EMC do. I think the patent has just expired so it wouldn't be in the
September BNF. IIRC, the BNF is published just twice a year.

What I do know is that Prozac has several different generic versions
produced, anyone of which can be given when a prescription is written for
Fluoxetine, but it seems that the side effects and possibly other effects do
vary, so I'm feeling a bit nervous about taking something that is formulated
in a different way, particularly because it's effects aren't instant, I
won't be able to tell instantly whether there is a problem, in fact right
now I am feeling nervous enough that when I run out of the branded stuff I
may not actually take the other stuff.

I suppose the reason I am posting is because I was wondering if anyone else
has come across nonbranded sertaline? Should I try and get a script for
Lustral as opposed to sertraline?

I haven't ever taken sertraline but I have taken both Prozac and generic
fluoxetine, I can't remember which version now. There was no difference
to me in the two. I have also taken both Cipramil and the generic
citalopram and again I noticed no difference. I didn't have the anxiety
that you have about taking the generics, but I did get my other half to
keep an eye on my mood and make sure that I wasn't slipping back into
depression.
--
Whirligig Witch
Old December 6th 05, 09:22 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy

In article ,
"Anne Rogers" wrote:

What I do know is that Prozac has several different generic versions
produced, anyone of which can be given when a prescription is written for
Fluoxetine, but it seems that the side effects and possibly other effects do
vary, so I'm feeling a bit nervous about taking something that is formulated
in a different way, particularly because it's effects aren't instant, I
won't be able to tell instantly whether there is a problem, in fact right
now I am feeling nervous enough that when I run out of the branded stuff I
may not actually take the other stuff.

I thought stopping sertraline cold turkey like that was supposed to be a
*really* bad idea?

Why don't you talk to the pharmacist about it? They usually know more than
the doctors about formulations. Why not give it a go and see what side
effects vary? Who knows, it might work out better than the branded stuff.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old December 7th 05, 01:42 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy

You should not take SSRI's when pregnant or breastfeeding. They only
work as
well as a placebo and not as well as exercise and or therapy anyway, so
there is
no reason to take the risk.

sod off, you don't know my situation, what is more risky death or ssris?
They do not just work as a placebo, there is clear medical research that
disputes this

Anne

Old December 7th 05, 01:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy

I thought stopping sertraline cold turkey like that was supposed to be a
*really* bad idea?

probably, but I'm nervous enough to do that

Why don't you talk to the pharmacist about it? They usually know more
than
the doctors about formulations. Why not give it a go and see what side
effects vary? Who knows, it might work out better than the branded stuff.

I didn't talk to the pharmacist as I had to go to the doctors for something
else, I'm not to bothered about it being different, I just don't want to
take the risk of a change at a vunerable time, I know I react very
differently taking cocodamol as capsules, tablets, or soluble, in both the
active way (painrelief) and the side effects (constipation, drowsiness), so
I just don't feel like a change is a good thing.

Unfortunately it wasn't my doctor I saw, but I explained my thoughts and the
doctor I did see was happy to prescribe it by name, particularly when I
explained how differently I react to different formulations of co-codamol.

Anne

Old December 7th 05, 04:57 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy

In article ,
"Anne Rogers" wrote:

You should not take SSRI's when pregnant or breastfeeding. They only
work as
well as a placebo and not as well as exercise and or therapy anyway, so
there is
no reason to take the risk.

sod off, you don't know my situation, what is more risky death or ssris?
They do not just work as a placebo, there is clear medical research that
disputes this

Ignore him /her / it. Some people are just idiots.
--
Sara
accompanied by TK, number two, due in April of 2006
Old December 8th 05, 10:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy

In article ,
"Anne Rogers" wrote:

I thought stopping sertraline cold turkey like that was supposed to be a
*really* bad idea?

probably, but I'm nervous enough to do that

I'm sorry, but I don't get this at all. The *known* withdrawal symptoms from
it a

* dizziness
* vertigo/light-headedness
* nausea
* fatigue
* headache
* insomnia
* abdominal cramps
* chills
* increased dreaming
* agitation
* anxiety

What side effects do you think a generic formulation could give you that would
be worse? Why go for guaranteed problems over possible problems?

Old December 8th 05, 02:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Anne Rogers wrote:

I suppose the reason I am posting is because I was wondering if anyone else
has come across nonbranded sertaline? Should I try and get a script for
Lustral as opposed to sertraline?

The generic appears to only just have become available in the UK.
http://www.prescriber.org.uk/?p=69

We've had a few generic SSRIs here in Australia for quite some time, and
I've not heard of any issues with them. Many are even made by the same
company and for all I know stamped out of the same machine.

I can't imagine that a switch from branded to generic would be more
difficult on your body that abrupt cessation! If you're very concerned,
speak to your doctor or pharmacist. Here, people can choose a branded
item if they prefer one, but they pay the price gap. Not sure how it
works in the UK.

Lara