When to introduce toys?

Old September 29th 04, 03:48 AM
Feng

Default When to introduce toys?

Hi there, I have a 6.5-month old boy, total breastfeed and we just
started some solids 2 weeks back. He now crawls, kicks, ... I was
informed that the best is to leave him on floor unrestricted and let
him play. We also have got some toys for him to play. But it seems
that he will just suck/bite almost anything he can lay hand on
(because of teething, suggested by Doctor) However, my wife wants to
get some more toys which can encourage him to crawl forward (most of
the time, he crawls backward).

My question is, when is the right time to introduce toys? What types?
What kind of purpose do toys serve? Should we leave him playing alone
on the floor or with some toys?

Thanks in advance.
Old September 29th 04, 09:47 AM
nic

"Feng" wrote in message
om...
Hi there, I have a 6.5-month old boy, total breastfeed and we just
started some solids 2 weeks back. He now crawls, kicks, ... I was
informed that the best is to leave him on floor unrestricted and let
him play. We also have got some toys for him to play. But it seems
that he will just suck/bite almost anything he can lay hand on
(because of teething, suggested by Doctor) However, my wife wants to
get some more toys which can encourage him to crawl forward (most of
the time, he crawls backward).

My question is, when is the right time to introduce toys? What types?
What kind of purpose do toys serve? Should we leave him playing alone
on the floor or with some toys?

Thanks in advance.

I would let him play with some toys... Try to think from his point of
view... a floor with nothing or no toys would be boring. (put yourself on
the floor for a while and tell me what you think of it )

I think it depends on how many toys you really need for a child. Some babies
and children like variety whilst others just like a few fave's and dont need
much more.

Anything bright coloured is what I would give, I would give something that
they could try to hold or rattle. Toys serve many purposes including
grasping reflex, listening sounds and a few others I carn't think of at the
moment.

Im sure someone else has a better anwser for you

Nic

Old September 29th 04, 01:32 PM
Jeff

"Feng" wrote in message
om...
Hi there, I have a 6.5-month old boy, total breastfeed and we just
started some solids 2 weeks back. He now crawls, kicks, ... I was
informed that the best is to leave him on floor unrestricted and let
him play. We also have got some toys for him to play. But it seems
that he will just suck/bite almost anything he can lay hand on
(because of teething, suggested by Doctor) However, my wife wants to
get some more toys which can encourage him to crawl forward (most of
the time, he crawls backward).

Put the toys in front of him.

My question is, when is the right time to introduce toys?

Now.

What types?

Toys for infants.

What kind of purpose do toys serve?

Stimulate his envrionment and his mind.

Should we leave him playing alone
on the floor or with some toys?

Yes. Of course, you still need to keep a close eye on him.

Jeff

Thanks in advance.

Old September 30th 04, 02:36 AM
Feng

Thanks for all the suggestions. Time for shopping.
Cheers.
Old October 5th 04, 12:57 AM
Mark

I kinda like the educational toys you can find at the 'learning center' type
stores in the mall.

"Jeff" wrote in message

om...