chances of m/c

Old May 27th 04, 08:38 PM
Shannon

Default chances of m/c

I was just curious...I noticed that unfortunately there are a several
people on this newsgroup who have gone through the experience of a m/c.
I was curious if anyone knows what the chance of this occuring are. I
don't know anyone personally who experienced this so I always thought
the chances were really really low. I'm thinking that there are a
higher number on mkp because of the type of place this is and because
it is so supportive. I thought I read that the rate was actually around
10%. Just wondering....

--
Shannon

Please remove -NO SPAM from email address to email me personally.

Old May 27th 04, 08:58 PM
Circe

Shannon wrote:
I thought I read that the rate was actually around 10%.

Most experts put the miscarriage closer to 25-30%, but some of those
miscarriages occur so early in the cycle that they may appear to be nothing
than more than a late period.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Old May 27th 04, 09:05 PM
Crystal Dreamer

Shannon wrote:
I was just curious...I noticed that unfortunately there are a several
people on this newsgroup who have gone through the experience of a
m/c. I was curious if anyone knows what the chance of this occuring
are. I don't know anyone personally who experienced this so I always
thought the chances were really really low. I'm thinking that there
are a higher number on mkp because of the type of place this is and
because it is so supportive. I thought I read that the rate was
actually around 10%. Just wondering....

Circe gave you a great statistic. About 1 in 4 pregnancies end in
miscarriage.
Most likely you do know people who have had one, but they don't talk about
it. It's unfortunate that pregnancy and infant loss is such a taboo
subject.

-Lisa

Old May 27th 04, 09:40 PM
Donna Metler

"Shannon" wrote in message
I was just curious...I noticed that unfortunately there are a several
people on this newsgroup who have gone through the experience of a m/c.
I was curious if anyone knows what the chance of this occuring are. I
don't know anyone personally who experienced this so I always thought
the chances were really really low. I'm thinking that there are a
higher number on mkp because of the type of place this is and because
it is so supportive. I thought I read that the rate was actually around
10%. Just wondering....

I believe it's between 10-15%, with most M/Cs occuring very early, so early
that many are missed entirely. Late pregnancy losses (2nd/3rd trimester) are
quite rare.

I think one reason why there are quite a few women on here who have
experienced a loss is that once you have, pregnancy becomes a much more
scary experience, and there aren't many people in your real life who are
willing to do the handholding it takes.

Old May 27th 04, 10:36 PM
Kazh

How would you know if you'd had an early m/c ?
I know I sound naive but this is all new to me.
I was late last week by 5 days, I was so excited thinking this was =
it.............then I started, it was mild for the first 2 days then =
light for the next 3 .....NOTHING like my normal periods which are =
usually moderate - heavy and last 5 days, and usually spot on time.
3 pregnancy tests all said negative ,but it said negative for my son =
too, who is now 17 !!!

Old May 28th 04, 12:24 AM
Jamie Clark

Sometimes you don't ever know officially -- sometimes its just a gut
feeling. Sometimes you get a positive pregnancy test, and get your period a
week later.

Since your periods are normally 5 heavy days of spotting, you might want to
take another hpt, just to be sure. Especially with the history you have
with your son, of not showing up positive, even when you were pregnant.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://home.earthlink.net/~jamielee6

Old May 28th 04, 01:34 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Shannon wrote:

I was just curious...I noticed that unfortunately there are a several
people on this newsgroup who have gone through the experience of a m/c.
I was curious if anyone knows what the chance of this occuring are. I
don't know anyone personally who experienced this so I always thought
the chances were really really low. I'm thinking that there are a
higher number on mkp because of the type of place this is and because it
is so supportive. I thought I read that the rate was actually around
10%. Just wondering....

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that you *do* know quite
a few people who have suffered miscarriages. They just
haven't said anything to you (no reflection on your character--
some people just don't tell hardly anyone). The longer the
pregnancy goes on, the lower the chances of a miscarriage.
The earlier you find out you're pregnant, the more likely you
are to *notice* a miscarriage (rather than thinking it's just
a late, heavy period).

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 28th 04, 03:54 AM
Alissa

"Shannon" wrote in message
I was just curious...I noticed that unfortunately there are a several
people on this newsgroup who have gone through the experience of a m/c.
I was curious if anyone knows what the chance of this occuring are. I
don't know anyone personally who experienced this so I always thought
the chances were really really low. I'm thinking that there are a
higher number on mkp because of the type of place this is and because
it is so supportive. I thought I read that the rate was actually around
10%. Just wondering....

--
Shannon

Please remove -NO SPAM from email address to email me personally.

I thought it was 1 in 5 roughly according to my Dr, I know several people
who have had 1 or 2, I had 1 last year at 8 weeks but it had stopped growing
at 5.
Alissa

Old May 28th 04, 07:18 AM
Jenrose

"Shannon" wrote in message
I was just curious...I noticed that unfortunately there are a several
people on this newsgroup who have gone through the experience of a m/c.
I was curious if anyone knows what the chance of this occuring are. I
don't know anyone personally who experienced this so I always thought
the chances were really really low. I'm thinking that there are a
higher number on mkp because of the type of place this is and because
it is so supportive. I thought I read that the rate was actually around
10%. Just wondering....

My informal survey having miscarried on Monday is that of the dozens of
women I've talked to in the past 4 days, only one actually said she'd never
had one. Approximately 80% of the remainder had had a miscarriage at some
point, and 20% didn't say. Very approximate. But almost *every* woman I know
over age 35 who's had at least one pregnancy has had at least one
miscarriage as well.

My best friend, when she miscarried, said that she had never known of anyone
to have had a miscarriage until she had one herself. And that as soon as she
had one, people came out of the woodworks saying, "oh, I had one...' Her
next-door neighbor of 20 years had had 3 and she'd never known. She said it
****ed her off because she thought she was a freak of nature until she
realized how common it was.

I've been told that approximately 40% of women will have a miscarriage at
some point in their lives.

My mother had two
I have had one known and one possible
My best friend had one
My boss had two
Some of my aunts said they'd had miscarriages, and I'm learning of several
cousins who have.
My neighbor had one a couple months ago.
And on one TTC list I'm on...we had 20 women on the list who ovulated around
the same time. 8 got positive pg tests. By 7 weeks, 6 days, all but two had
miscarried. That's 75%.... Keep in mind that out of those 6, 2 were by 5
weeks, 2 by 6 1/2 weeks, and 2 by 7 1/2 weeks. Now, it is a slightly higher
risk population, self-selected by being on that board in the first place. It
was pretty dang phenomenal that 8 of us got knocked up in the same month.
But the m/c rate is equally high.
My daughter's friend's mom had one
My grandmother had one

Jenrose

Old May 28th 04, 07:18 AM
Jenrose

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that you *do* know quite
a few people who have suffered miscarriages. They just
haven't said anything to you (no reflection on your character--
some people just don't tell hardly anyone).

Honestly, for me, I can understand not telling. I finally reached a point
where if one more person asked me how I was doing, I was going to bite them
and scream loudly. Not conducive to long term sanity. But since I told so
many I was pg, I *really* didn't want people dropping me a line a few months
down the road and saying, "How's the pg coming?"

Jenrose

Meningitis?? DH exposure and risks etc.. Jill Pregnancy 4 March 12th 04 06:54 AM
Chances of EDD being off by a good bit? Jill Pregnancy 13 March 11th 04 07:39 PM
Update (not good) Emily Pregnancy 146 March 2nd 04 07:06 PM
Planning for a second baby alyssa Pregnancy 54 January 13th 04 10:59 PM
Chances of early labour? shaz Pregnancy 6 September 22nd 03 04:35 PM