potty training

Old November 3rd 04, 05:01 AM
Marie

Default potty training

My daughter is 25 months old, and is potty training. I have two older
daughters (almost-8 and 9) also who potty trained at this same age,
but boy I forgot the every-5-minute trips to the potty in the
beginning lol And all the stops in the grocery store and on the way
home. We live 20 minutes from town now, but when the older ones were
this age we lived 3 minutes at the most away from any store. Luckily
my inlaws live between town and home so we make many pitstops there.
She's doing well with it, of course. She has an accident every few
days, like when we're on our way home and there is no one's home to
stop at or it is absolutely not a good time to leave the long line at
a business (but I make sure that happens as little as possible). I
haven't bought diapers in about 2 weeks, woohoo!! With only using two
a day (nap and bedtime) that is such a relief.
She's just learned to pull her pants all the way up over her bottom
too and is so proud of it LOL I had forgotten how cute it is, the
crooked waistline.
Marie
Old November 3rd 04, 08:05 AM
trcr

I can solemly understand what your going through. Just started potty
training my 2 1/2yr old daughter last week.We too have had the occational
mishap during the day due to my forgetting the constant question"do you
have to do weeees?"I have the added pressure of stopping the thumb sucking
that started when she was 6 months.Anyway I'm taking the potty around
every where with me just in case.I had to use it only once.Ileave it in
the boot of the car in a garbage bag.Maybe this could help you!
trcr

Old November 3rd 04, 01:36 PM
Sue

"trcr" wrote in message
We too have had the occational
mishap during the day due to my forgetting the constant question"do you
have to do weeees?"I have the added pressure of stopping the thumb sucking
that started when she was 6 months.Anyway I'm taking the potty around
every where with me just in case.I had to use it only once.Ileave it in
the boot of the car in a garbage bag.Maybe this could help you!

I never had to do any of that since I waited until the girls were ready
mentally to potty train. Once they got the connection of going to the potty
before they had an accident they trained in a day. If you have to constantly
ask the child if they need to go, imo they are not ready mentally to be
trained. I never had to take the potty around with me either.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old November 3rd 04, 01:51 PM
Sophie

I never had to do any of that since I waited until the girls were ready
mentally to potty train. Once they got the connection of going to the

potty
before they had an accident they trained in a day. If you have to

constantly
ask the child if they need to go, imo they are not ready mentally to be
trained. I never had to take the potty around with me either.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Well that's how I *trained* (hate that word) C and P and now with L - well,
I don't really ask, I tell them "let's go pee" and we go. I do it every 20
minutes or so.

I have never and would never use a potty (or any insert in a regular
toilet). When you're out they'll have to use a regular toilet so you might
as well start with one. Even with how small L is, he stands to pee already
(P started out sitting).

Old November 3rd 04, 01:53 PM
Marie

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 03:05:51 -0500, "trcr" wrote:
I can solemly understand what your going through. Just started potty
training my 2 1/2yr old daughter last week.We too have had the occational
mishap during the day due to my forgetting the constant question"do you
have to do weeees?"I have the added pressure of stopping the thumb sucking
that started when she was 6 months.Anyway I'm taking the potty around
every where with me just in case.I had to use it only once.Ileave it in
the boot of the car in a garbage bag.Maybe this could help you!
trcr

I don't have to ask her if she has to go to the bathroom, she tells me
and tears through the house towards a bathroom. I do ask all the kids
and my own self if they/I have to potty before we leave the house.
Marie
Old November 3rd 04, 03:00 PM
Nikki

Sue wrote:
"trcr" wrote in message
We too have had the occational
mishap during the day due to my forgetting the constant question"do
you have to do weeees?"I have the added pressure of stopping the
thumb sucking that started when she was 6 months.Anyway I'm taking
the potty around every where with me just in case.I had to use it
only once.Ileave it in the boot of the car in a garbage bag.Maybe
this could help you!

I never had to do any of that since I waited until the girls were
ready mentally to potty train. Once they got the connection of going
to the potty before they had an accident they trained in a day. If
you have to constantly ask the child if they need to go, imo they are
not ready mentally to be trained. I never had to take the potty
around with me either.

Both mine were over 3 when they trained and we still had that spell where
they had to pee constantly. It took forever to get anything done. The one
store the kids love to shop around in is the dollar store and they don't
have a bathroom ;-P We've had to leave more then once. I don't carry a
potty chair because mine can pee on the tire ;-)

Since my boys were so old when they trained we didn't need the little potty
chairs (although I had one). Plus they stand up, although Hunter started
out sitting down. I do have that cushion thing to put on the regular toilet
seat because they need to sit for quite awhile for bm's and it is much more
comfortable for them and enables them to relax.

--
Nikki

Old November 3rd 04, 03:22 PM
Rosalie B.

"Sophie" wrote:

[...]

My mom trained #1. I don't know how she did it because I was on a
trip to California to get housing for our upcoming move, and when I
got back, she was trained. Probably she used Sophie's method.

#2 trained herself. She could be dry if she wanted to be by age 2
(she only wet when she was in diapers for a nap or at night)- just
didn't want to use the toilet. When she decided that she wanted to
use the toilet at 2.5, she had maybe one accident after that. I
totally don't remember how #3 or #4 went.

When we drove from Maryland to California after #1 had been trained,
we stopped at about 10 am to get gas, and at 2 pm to get gas and she
used the rest room then. She never had any accidents nor did we have
any panic stops. She was about 3.

On the trip back across country 2 years later when she was 5 and dd#2
was 3, we had the same schedule, and we only had one 'panic stop'. (We
were in the desert and we told her she could go beside the car or she
could hold it, and she opted to hold it) We had my mom and dad with
us then and HE needed to use the rest rooms more than my girls did.

BUT - I don't know if this is due to *mental* readiness. Making the
connection is not all that is required. #2 made the connection fine -
she just didn't want to do it. Nor do I think that anyone should
particularly congratulate themselves on picking an appropriate time to
train. IMO some people just need to go oftener and some are more
aware of their bodies. I've had cystitis and it is no fun, and there
may be other issues that cause a child to have accidents.

I do agree that every time we would leave home, or another place which
had a reasonable toilet facility, I would just assume that everyone
would go - I wouldn't ask if they needed to - they were just
instructed and required to go. I still do that BTW even with me and
dh. He's in the same boat as my dad was then.

And I think girls may be easier to train than boys, but I have no real
reason for saying that.

We did have a folding insert but I don't remember whether I carried it
around or not.

grandma Rosalie
Old November 3rd 04, 04:03 PM
Welches

"Sue" wrote in message
"trcr" wrote in message
[...]

I never went for the constantly asking. If you're going out or something
it's a good idea to ask before you go, but it'd have driven me crazy having
to ask all the time. I don't see why 20 minutes should be a problem either.
We had a 15 minute bus drive back (combined with obvious wait for the bus)
and never had an accident when out, even when she anounced she needed to go
on the bus she managed to hold on.
I took the potty round with me because #1 had a fear of the toilet. She was
21 months btw so sitting on the toilet without a seat took a bit of practice
cause she thought she'd fall in!
The potty was also useful for taking out when I had morning sickness:-)
Debbie

Old November 3rd 04, 04:23 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi --

I had one kid who substantially trained at 2 3/4, but had accidents
fromtime to time through age 6. He just didn't like to interrupt what
he was doing in order to use the toilet, and had to go frequently due to
a small bladder (or something).

The other kid trained at the same age and has been accident-free ever
since. He can hold it for a long time, always has, and therefore can
wait for a break in whatever he's doing in order to use the toilet.

I really think that successful potty training is very individual. It
can be parent-led or child-led, with similar rates and speeds of
success.

My two cents,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old November 4th 04, 01:12 AM
jolinda

Thank you for the link, Dorothy

Shay is 28months old and she likes to wear panties, and will tell me she has
to go potty, but once i get her in there, she won't go. She will sit on both
the big potty and on her potty, but will not go! This drives me nuts.
Anyhow, I am going to order the video

Jolinda
"toto" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 00:01:20 -0500, Marie
wrote:

[...]

Posted this on am, under a thread about potty training and
handwashing. There is a video or dvd I like that shows the
whole process. It may not be to everyone's taste, but I think
it's really good.

For those who are in the *potty training* phase with their kids,
there is a video that I really like called *It's Potty Time* The
video shows a birthday party for a little boy who is turning 4.
The beginning has mom take a younger child to the potty after
breakfast (his sister), then the next scene has a little girl
of 4 going to the potty as she gets ready for the party. It
shows the entire sequence including flushing, wiping front to
back and washing hands and drying them correctly. (She
wipes her teddy bear). Then it shows several boys at the
party asking to go to the potty and being taken and again
stresses the last boy flushing and washing and drying his
hands after he pees. Since it models things with older
children, I think it is really nice.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...30359?v=glance

or
http://snipurl.com/ad2a