PE/Recess time mandates

Old September 19th 03, 10:16 PM
Donna Metler

Default PE/Recess time mandates

There was someone here who was saying that their child was being kept in
from recess to finish work.

In TN, 30 minutes of PE a day is mandated in elementary school. If the
school doesn't have a PE class for 30 minutes a day, the days they don't
have PE, the students are supposed to have "structured or unstructured
physical activities"-ie, recess. So you might want to check the PE
requirements, because recess may be mandated via those.

Just thought this might be helpful.

Old September 19th 03, 11:00 PM
Leigh Menconi

Withholding of recess time as punishment is specifically forbidden in our
school district but I have heard of some teachers doing it. It seems like
kids who act up need *more* running around time, not less, so that they are
better able to focus when they are in class (or are at least too tired to be
distracting to other children).

Leigh in raLeigh

Old September 20th 03, 01:02 AM
LFortier

Leigh Menconi wrote:
Withholding of recess time as punishment is specifically forbidden in our
school district but I have heard of some teachers doing it. It seems like
kids who act up need *more* running around time, not less, so that they are
better able to focus when they are in class (or are at least too tired to be
distracting to other children).

Leigh in raLeigh

Is it actually forbidden, Leigh? I also live in Wake Co.
and I don't think we've ever had a teacher (and my oldest is
5th grade) who hasn't withheld recess. Some have kids stay
in for behavior, some for incomplete work. My 5th grader
was one of only a handful that got playtime one day last
week - most of the class had incomplete book reports and had
to work on them.

Did you make it through the storm okay?

Lesley

Old September 20th 03, 04:20 AM
Leigh Menconi

Hi Lesley,

Yeah, we came through the storm pretty well. Our yard looked like &*)% this morning with shredded trees/leaves all over and a few large branches but no major damage and we didn't lose power (the block over from us did lose it for a few hours twice during the day). My washing machine did short out when we had a small power flicker but Sears was out by 10am this morning and it was all fixed by noon.

Regarding the recess rule, I found the following quote at: http://www.wakefitness.com/policy5120wccfh.php
The Wake County Public School System is mandated to provide Daily Physical Education to each and every elementary school student...
Therefore, if your child is held out of recess time, and his/her teacher is using that recess time in substitution for the Physical Education requirement, then they are in violation of R&P 5120 1.1.

Old September 20th 03, 01:56 PM
Sophie

"LFortier" wrote in message
Leigh Menconi wrote:
[...]

I went to school in Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) in the 1980s and I
remember being kept in from recess (as well as other kids) for punishment.
Wonder if it was a violation back then?

--
Sophie -
TTC #4

Old September 20th 03, 02:01 PM
Donna Metler

"Sophie" wrote in message
"LFortier" wrote in message
Leigh Menconi wrote:
[...]

It wouldn't have been when I was in school, because we had daily PE, so
recess was extra. It's only when recess replaces the mandated PE time that
its a problem.

--
Sophie -
TTC #4

Old September 20th 03, 02:10 PM
Sophie

It wouldn't have been when I was in school, because we had daily PE, so
recess was extra. It's only when recess replaces the mandated PE time that
its a problem.

Oh d'uh. Gotcha. I don't remember how often we had PE.

Old September 20th 03, 05:01 PM
Sue

The kids go out to lunch recess every day unless it is below a certain
degree. I am not sure what the degree is, but it has to be really really
cold. The kids have gym class around two days a week here. The days the kids
don't have gym, the teachers do try to make sure they go out for recess, but
some days they are too busy. The teachers do take away a recess (not lunch)
when the kids have not done their work or not done their homework or
forgotten a much needed book at home or other infractions that go on.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Old September 21st 03, 02:21 AM
Amy

I am a PE teacher in CA. Our state ed code requires 200 minutes of PE every
ten days (excluding recess)

Old September 21st 03, 02:36 AM
ColoradoSkiBum

: I am a PE teacher in CA. Our state ed code requires 200 minutes of PE
every
: ten days (excluding recess)

Gotta wonder what happens when kids get to high school? Here in Colorado I
don't think there is a state requirement for HS, and if there is it's very
low. The school I'm currently at requires 1 *semester* of PE over all 4
years of high school. This likely varies between schools and is probably
the bare minimum requirement for the district.
--
ColoradoSkiBum

Review: Once Upon a Time in Mexico (* 1/2) Steve Rhodes General 0 September 14th 03 11:30 PM
time outs? ivler General 74 August 30th 03 11:59 AM
DCF CT monitor finds kids *worsen* while in state custody Kane General 8 August 13th 03 07:43 AM
discipline Naomi Pardue General 40 August 2nd 03 10:17 AM
'Horrible' Home Kane General 1 July 16th 03 02:29 AM