It WAS mastitis

Old December 29th 05, 11:57 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default It WAS mastitis

In message , oregonchick
writes
I finally went to the urgent care clinic today because I just wasn't getting
any better. Sat there for over 3 hrs, but it was worth it, because I was
diagnosed with mastitis that would have abcessed without antibiotics
(according to the doc). I got a prescription for keflex (sp?) and should be
much better tomorrow. Just knowing that I am already in the process of
getting better makes me feel good again.

Eek. You poor thing. Sympathies and best wishes for a quick recovery.
--
Mogget
Old December 30th 05, 12:02 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

oregonchick wrote:
I finally went to the urgent care clinic today because I just wasn't getting
any better. Sat there for over 3 hrs, but it was worth it, because I was
diagnosed with mastitis that would have abcessed without antibiotics
(according to the doc). I got a prescription for keflex (sp?) and should be
much better tomorrow. Just knowing that I am already in the process of
getting better makes me feel good again.

I didn't want to go sit in a waiting room over the holidays, but if I were
given the choice to make again, I would have gone in 3 days ago. After
suffering through the nights of delirious fever, aches, chills, horrible
sweats, etc, not being able to hardly care for myself or my newborn, feeling
like my breast had a spike being driven through it, I can't believe how
stubborn I was in thinking I would be able to "shake it off".

If anyone else is faced with similar symptoms, don't mess around. The doc I
saw said it doesn't get better without antibiotics, which is probably an
exaggeration, but I believe I would have gotten much sicker...

Betsy

Mine got better using homeopathy - antimplex and belladonna.

Also, the norm for treating mastitis with antibiotics is flucloxacillin,
not a cephalosporin.

Jo
Old December 30th 05, 12:17 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In article ,
Jo wrote:

Also, the norm for treating mastitis with antibiotics is flucloxacillin,
not a cephalosporin.

Could be different over there...

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old January 1st 06, 03:34 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In ,
Sue wrote:

*That's not entirely true. People can become resistant to the antibiotics if
*they are used too much. Take my daughter for example, she had to be on
*Penicillin for many years for prophalaxitic antibiotic use. After she had
*been on it for so long, it quit working for her. Just like if you use Motrin

No, your daughter didn't become resistant. Her BACTERIA became resistant.
That's the point the previous poster was trying to make, I think. I mean,
the mechanism of action of penicillin is via inhibition of bacterial cell
wall synthesis. There's nothing about the person's body involved, but the
bacteria can develop an enzyme which prevents the drug from working. In
your daughter's case, apparently over the long term, the few bacteria
which weren't susceptible to the penicillin started to grow and outnumber
the ones which were, until she developed an infection because of it -
right?

*too much, it stops working and one needs to stop taking it for a while
*before it works again.

Hmm. I have never heard that about Motrin. My mom has been on chronic
ibuprofen therapy for three years with good results. I am going to read up
on that to see what the deal is!

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old January 1st 06, 03:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In ,
Jo wrote:

*Also, the norm for treating mastitis with antibiotics is flucloxacillin,
*not a cephalosporin.

Many women can not tolerate penicillins. I have taken both the
cephalosporin cephalexin (Keflex) and the macrolide azizthromycin
(Zithromax) [at different times for different cases!] to treat my
mastitis, with excellent results. FWIW.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is
too dark to read." --Groucho Marx

Pumped milk with mastitis and antibiotics Jen Breastfeeding 7 December 23rd 05 08:29 PM
mastitis w/o fever? Melania Breastfeeding 8 November 30th 05 06:05 PM
Is this mastitis? Cathy Breastfeeding 1 November 9th 03 01:59 AM
Q about mastitis A&G&K Breastfeeding 3 September 24th 03 04:38 AM
What are symptom of mastitis? Plissken Breastfeeding 0 July 9th 03 06:29 AM