12wk slept 7-7 for 3 nights but not now. Why??

Old December 29th 05, 08:42 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default 12wk slept 7-7 for 3 nights but not now. Why??

We had the best Xmas pressie of all - our 12wk old woke on Xmas morning
at 7am for the 3rd night running meaning he had gone roughly 7-7. We
were ecstatic. However, since then he has gone back to his usual waking
(usually just once) in the night.

Any idea as to why he managed before and not now? Could it be he was
going through growth spurt ( He obviously can go through the night so
should I leave him to moan a bit in the night to see if he goes back to
sleep - I currently jump up quite quickly when he wakes.

Any thoughts from anyone who has had similar would be much appreciated.
We were getting so spoilt with 3 full nights sleep!

Many thanks
Rebecca

Old December 29th 05, 12:12 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Rebecca writes:

Any idea as to why he managed before and not now? Could it be he was
going through growth spurt ( He obviously can go through the night so
should I leave him to moan a bit in the night to see if he goes back to
sleep - I currently jump up quite quickly when he wakes.

Might be worth playing it by ear a bit, in case he's not really awake when
he first starts making noises and might go back to sleep by himself. That
can definitely happen. However, I'd regard it as an experiment, and observe
closely - you might just find that if you leave him you have to go to him
in the end anyway (assuming you wouldn't leave a 12wo to actually scream,
which isn't advised by anyone), and that it might take longer to get him
back to sleep if he's woken up more thoroughly first.

Any thoughts from anyone who has had similar would be much appreciated.
We were getting so spoilt with 3 full nights sleep!

We had something very similar, DS sleeping much longer than usual (not 12
hours though!) when we were away for Christmas, then not again after we got
home. He was born on Oct 27th, so quite a bit younger than yours. Maybe
there's something about the relaxed or sociable nature of holidays? It's
also very common for babies to sleep long periods for a while and then stop
doing so, I'm afraid. Pity the mothers of babies who sleep through the
night from a few days old and then stop doing so around 3 or 4 months -
also very common!

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old December 29th 05, 01:14 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Rebecca" wrote in message
( He obviously can go through the night so
should I leave him to moan a bit in the night to see if he goes back to
sleep - I currently jump up quite quickly when he wakes.

I would say that might be the problem. Don't jump at every wimper. You may
be causing more of a problem by tending to him at every wimper than if you
just left him a bit. Many people awaken slightly every night, but are able
to go back to sleep. You may be interupting his ability to put himself back
to sleep when you rush to him. If he starts to become miserable, of course
go to him, but for mild grousing or wimpers, see if he goes back to sleep.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 30th 05, 03:28 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Rebecca" wrote in message
oups.com...
We had the best Xmas pressie of all - our 12wk old woke on Xmas morning
at 7am for the 3rd night running meaning he had gone roughly 7-7. We
were ecstatic. However, since then he has gone back to his usual waking
(usually just once) in the night.

Sounds like even without the 7-7 he was doing quite well! Those long nights
are heavenly though, aren't they?

Any idea as to why he managed before and not now? Could it be he was
going through growth spurt

Could be a few things. He could be starting to get longer stretches and IME
it's like the old saying, "two steps forward, two steps back". Also, it
could have been a growth spurt, could have been exhaustion from the
stimulating days around Christmas. Personally, I'd pick my first answer.

( He obviously can go through the night so
should I leave him to moan a bit in the night to see if he goes back to
sleep - I currently jump up quite quickly when he wakes.

I wouldn't jump right up, but I wouldn't let him go for too long at this
age. Give him a few minutes to see if he goes back and if not, then do what
you normally do. He might start putting himself back to sleep if you let him
fuss for a few minutes. I know my dd was like that at a young age. HTH

JennP.

Old December 30th 05, 08:45 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Rebecca wrote:
( He obviously can go through the night so
should I leave him to moan a bit in the night to see if he goes back to
sleep - I currently jump up quite quickly when he wakes.

Why is this obvious? He's growing quickly, and will probably change his
sleeping patterns frequently over the next year. I would never assume
that a baby under a year does not need to be fed at night.

Of course, I coslept, so I never needed to jump up at all...

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net