Swollen hands and fingers after exercise (walking)

Old July 8th 03, 09:15 PM
Romy

Default Swollen hands and fingers after exercise (walking)

I experience the same problem, I am about 32 weeks.
Swinging arms makes my hands and fingers so swollen
that it takes more than an hour to get back. After 20 minutes
of walk, my legs get so swollen and heavy that its
so hard to even lift them.

Does anybody know a cure for this. I would like to keep
walking as much as I can for easy labor, but can not keep it up
due to swelling.

On 08 Jul 2003 16:25:44 GMT, (Zucca4) wrote:

The weirdest thing happens to me while and after I finish my 45 minute moderate
speed walk- my hands and fingers swell up tremendously! My feet, ironically
enough, which have swollen a bit over the last few weeks are unaffected if not
even better than when I start out. I just started walking a week ago and am
curious as to why this is happening. Maybe the swinging of my arms forces
stored water weight to my fingers?? Within an hour of cooling down and relaxing
at home, they are back to normal.

I'm in my 20th week and things are going well...I'm a bit concerned about this
hand thing though. I want to keep up with my exercise.

Any similar stories, explanations, solutions?

Thanks,
Lisa

Old July 9th 03, 06:00 AM
Honey38ch

I have had this too. For the hands, it helps to occasionally lift them
overhead and squeeze (helps if you pick up a small rock or something to
squeeze). For the legs and feet, I don't know!

At least it always goes away.
Honey
Old July 9th 03, 11:19 AM
Deb

Hi Lisa

This could be Carpal Tunnel Syndrome especially if you have pins and needles
in your hands and fingers, Also if your fingers go very stiff. Try holding
your hands upright and make a fist and then release and stretch your fingers
upright and back for as long as you can. I find this helps me greatly as I
tend to suffer the aches first thing in a morning.

If its getting too bad please see your Doctor who can refer you to a
Physiotherapist who will make splints for your hands to help the situation.

Good luck

Deb

Old July 9th 03, 03:52 PM
Valerie Rake

This happens to me both before and after pregnancy. We have a large dog
who is much better behaved toward the cats after a minimum 40-minute
daily walk, so walking is required (as we say around he "long walks
are good for big dogs, little cats, and pregnant ladies!)

Like others, I have found that moving my hands above my waist, squeezing
them, shifting the water bottle back and forth all help. Also, drink
lots of water before, during, and after walking.

Valerie
20 weeks (1/2 way!)