Opinions please - names

Old July 11th 03, 01:01 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Default Opinions please - names

Cheryl S. wrote:

It's been a while since I've seen a name thread, so what do you all
think of these names for a boy? What sort of personality traits come to
mind when you read each one?

Derek
Evan
Jaden
Jeremy
Rajan (rah-JAHN) - FIL is from India, so this isn't out of place with
our last name.
William

Personally, I like Evan. That was on our list of names
to consider for a boy this time.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old July 11th 03, 04:41 AM
Laurie

Cheryl S. wrote in message ...
LOL. I had Allegra on my list when picking names for Julie, and the

allergy medication didn't even occur to me until I posted a poll here.
It's so musical, and I associate the name more with the ballerina
Allegra Kent than with the medication, even though I've taken it myself!
I love the name and I'm glad to see someone use it.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 3 mo.

OMG I remember that poll!!!! But I didn't *know* you at the time, because
IIRC, you didn't post much before Julie was born. But I remember a thread
about the name allegra and it being an allergy medication.

BTW, do you *really* not know who Will Smith is, Cheryl?????????

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 27 months
and Christopher, 12 weeks

*This email address is now valid*

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old July 11th 03, 05:18 AM
Joy

Alegra basically means "Exuberantly cheerful"
And that is precisely how having her made
Jarrod and I feel, so it fit ;-)

You could have named her Joy. I really like Alegra, though, and I
think you chose a beautiful name!

Joy

http://community.webtv.net/joybelle15/ROSESCLUBFOOTPAGE

Old July 11th 03, 05:26 AM
Joy

Derek
--------
Makes me think of when I was a kid and had Barbie and the Rockers Derek
doll. It's an okay name. Not my favorite but not bad either.

Evan
--------
My favorite of your choices! I just like this name.

Jaden
---------
Too popular and used too often for girls.

Jeremy
----------
A name I've never cared for. It just seems like a fitting name for a
kid to me but not an adult. My BIL's name is Jeremy, and my sister
calls him Jerm.

Rajan (rah-JAHN)
-----------------------
I like it.

William
----------
Great name, also! Evan and William are winners, I think.

Old July 11th 03, 05:36 AM
Sandi

"Cheryl S." wrote in message
It's been a while since I've seen a name thread, so what do you all
think of these names for a boy? What sort of personality traits come to
mind when you read each one?

Derek
Evan
Jaden
Jeremy
Rajan (rah-JAHN) - FIL is from India, so this isn't out of place with
our last name.
William
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 3 mo.
And a boy, EDD 4.Sept

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

William is my favorite, but I would want to make sure I could keep people
from shortening it to Billy or Willy (Bill or Will would be ok, I just
don't like the -y ending.)

I have a problem with a lot of boys nicknames like that. I think it comes
from my dad. His name is Ronald, and you can always tell when he runs into
someone he knew from high school, because they always call him Ronnie, which
I think sounds silly for a 60 year old man! JMO though... It probably
doesn't bother anyone but me, but it might be something to keep in mind.

Sandi
Abby (9/20/00)
Natalie (7/27/02...almost 1!!)

Old July 11th 03, 06:22 AM
Nina

"Joy" wrote in message
Alegra basically means "Exuberantly cheerful"
And that is precisely how having her made
Jarrod and I feel, so it fit ;-)

You could have named her Joy. I really like Alegra, though, and I
think you chose a beautiful name!

Joy

I once considered Alegria, the spanish for Joy, of course my sister had to
mention the allgery thing.

Old July 11th 03, 06:25 AM
Tina

"Cheryl S." wrote in message ...
It's been a while since I've seen a name thread, so what do you all
think of these names for a boy? What sort of personality traits come to
mind when you read each one?

Derek
Evan
Jaden
Jeremy
Rajan (rah-JAHN) - FIL is from India, so this isn't out of place with
our last name.
William

Hi Cheryl!

I like Rajan, and I think it'll sound good with your last name, too.
We have some friends with family from India who have used more
'unusual' names (compared to most in Ohio!), and they've fit in quite
well with the other little ones. As they're learning to talk, they're
learning a wider variety of names and sounds than we were ever exposed
to, and I love that.

Only issue, I'd think, is how do you think it goes with Julie? I may
be sensitive to this, but because Sage and Solana look so dissimilar,
we've actually had people ask us if they're from different marriages.
Obviously people we don't know well, but still. I think it's
offensive to the kids, and me! Do you think people might ask weird
questions with such different names?

Jeremy was on our *short* list of boys names both times. I think it
would go well with Julie, too. What about Jeremy Rajan? Do you have
middle names picked out?

Tina.

P.S. -- OK -- rereading my post, I don't think Julie and Rajan sound
*bad* together, and I don't want to give that impression -- they just
sound very different. Not necessarily good or bad. Just noticing!
Glad you're doing well!

T.
Old July 11th 03, 12:06 PM
Elly

"Cheryl S." ha scritto nel messaggio
It's been a while since I've seen a name thread, so what do you all
think of these names for a boy? What sort of personality traits come to
mind when you read each one?

Derek
Evan
Jaden
Jeremy
Rajan (rah-JAHN) - FIL is from India, so this isn't out of place with
our last name.
William

I like Evan - it's been sitting on my list for a long time now, and in the
beginning DH really loved it, but now he's changing his mind about it. I
still like it, though.

Elly
27 weeks + 4 days
EDD October 6th

Old July 11th 03, 02:29 PM
Cheryl S.

Tina wrote in message
om...
Only issue, I'd think, is how do you think it goes with Julie?
Do you think people might ask weird questions with such
different names?

I'm sure people will ask weird questions, regardless of names. ;-) I
get what you're saying though, and I have thought about that. Ideally
I'd like to find as "English-looking" a Sanskrit name as I can find, if
that makes any sense. There are so many "different", made-up names
being used now I'm guessing it won't be thought much of. Also, I know
it's sexist, but I figure Julie's likely to change her last name at
marriage, and likely to something non-Indian, so I'm not as concerned
about her name "going with" our last name.

Just as a totally unrelated LOL - when my ILs were visiting last weekend
we took Julie to the playground, and a grandma at the next swing started
up a conversation commenting on how *tanned* my FIL was, wondering if
they were visiting from Florida. (Many retired people from around here
live here in summer and in Florida in winter.) He didn't bother to
explain, just said he plays a lot of golf.

Jeremy was on our *short* list of boys names both times. I think it
would go well with Julie, too. What about Jeremy Rajan? Do you have
middle names picked out?

I'd like to continue DH's father's family's long-standing tradition of
using the father's first name as the first son's middle name. It is
hard to find any name that flows with DH's name as a middle name though,
and DH is not all that concerned about doing it "just to keep up a
tradition". He'd rather the name sound really good.

I've also wondered if it's too cutesy to have both kids' names start
with "J", but I don't find that to be the case with Sage and Solana at
all. DH and I seem to gravitate toward "J" names for some reason.

P.S. -- OK -- rereading my post, I don't think Julie and Rajan sound
*bad* together, and I don't want to give that impression -- they just
sound very different. Not necessarily good or bad. Just noticing!
Glad you're doing well!

Thanks for clarifying! :-)

You take care of yourself, y'hear? (referring to your post under
Circe's "I'm home" thread)
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 3 mo.

Old July 11th 03, 04:24 PM
KatoKirk

Jaden
Kirsten
TTC #1
5 years next month

Opinions on Theodore Bean & Maclaren Carriers Cynthia General 1 October 27th 03 09:25 AM
last names XOR General 1 October 15th 03 03:19 PM
Names of the children I went to school with Rosalie B. General 30 October 2nd 03 07:42 PM
Interesting local article on baby names sher General 292 October 1st 03 12:08 AM
Help--babysitting opinions needed Chive mynd General 6 September 17th 03 04:21 PM