Breastfeeding for life?

Old March 9th 06, 07:06 PM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Breastfeeding for life?

"Elfanie" wrote in message
On 9 Mar 2006 00:30:20 -0800, wrote:

I can't quite put my finger on why I feel such revulsion towards
mothers who breastfeed for so long.

wow....revulsion is quite a strong word.

I find it just odd, in some way, but I would never think to use revulsion.
It's probably based on the norm around here.

I think it's because they gain some
sort of sexual pleasure from having the child at their breast. It is
not the role of the child to give a mother that "wonderful feeling" via
breastfeeding

*heavy sigh*
Have you never nursed a baby/child?? goodness gracious why does it
always seem to come back to a sexual thing for people who have never
done it??

I've nursed all my children. I don't think of nursing at all in a sexual
way.

and why is a "wonderful feeling" something sexual to you? I find THAT
repulsive...that your mind goes to sex. I have wonderful feelings
whenever I nurse any of my children.....it's called love. Love to me
is a wonderful feeling...

I agree. I have always found nursing to be MY bond with my child.
Something that only I have ever done with my children that no one else ever
has. Anyone - grandparents, dad, aunts, uncles, cousins, siblings, friends,
whatever, can change baby's diaper, give baths, whatever, but no one else
was ever able to nurse my babies. It's definitely love, and a time that a
mother can have with her child that no one can really take away or take over
on.

and love, to me, is not sexual.

I think these women are lacking something in their lives.

Why do you think this?
And what do you think is lacking, in your opinion?

A child asking for breast milk for their 9th birthday is clearly not a
normal thing to do.

It actually can be....depending on the circumstances. When I gave
birth to my third child...my oldest, who was 7 at the time, asked what
breastmilk tasted like. I expressed some and he drank it...didn't
like it...and we moved on.
That's actually VERY VERY common.

However, I fully support the right of women to
breastfeed children in public - just not 8 and 9 year olds!

What is the age limit at which a woman should no longer be able to
nurse her child?

For me, yes, I probably would wonder why on earth someone is nursing a child
of that age. I wouldn't sit and dwell on it, and my life would go on just
the same. I think, the way it is for me, is that I do believe that nursing
is a natural and normal thing to do. I nursed mine, and I didn't have a
whole lot of support, other than my own mother. The females in my family
weren't very supportive, and the males would have nothing but
discouragement, other than my dad who didn't really care either way. He was
there when my mother nurse my brothers and I, and he was alright if I sat
down and nursed mine, and all I did was toss a receiving blanket over me and
baby. Partly since I didn't think my dad or anyone else really cared to
actually watch, it made it more comfortable for everyone else - myself
included - and all my children had a thing with blankets where they'd fall
right asleep when they had a receiving blanket the covered their faces.
Kind of like a comfort thing.
I find nursing completely normal, healthy, fine, I'm totally good with it,
and I don't mind carrying on any type of conversation or discussion with
someone while I nurse or while they do. I also think about every mamal and
how mamals, humans included, nurse their young. I also think about how
mamals eventually wean or are weaned from their mother and are expected to
be on their own. Humans are the only mamals that tend to keep their young
under their wing for so long. When you think about something like a cat,
and for an easy number, let's say cats live 15 years. A human let's say
lives 75 years - for another easy number. That's 5 times longer that people
live when compared to a cat. A kitten is normally weaned by about 6-8
weeks, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. By around those 6-8 weeks of
age, a kitten is usually ready to venture out on their own and have a new
family or would be alright without needing its mother so much. People
normally aren't ready to be on their own until they're done school, have a
job, whatever, and that's probably anywhere around 20 or so years of age,
and again, sometimes earlier, sometimes longer.
So after all this rambling that makes very little sense (as I read it over
again!) all I'm trying to say is that although nursing is natural, it's also
natural to wean. When that should be done does depend on what you're
talking about - cats, dogs, monkeys, mice, whatever. Humans, we tend to be
at a fairly higher level than a cat, but as human beings - animals - it's
still a natural thing to wean your children, and for me, it was just before
the time that mine could lift my shirt up and help themselves, but again,
although I would find it definitely strange, in my own personal opinion, my
life would go on, I wouldn't be permanantely damaged, and maybe it would
strike me as odd and bothersome, but the great thing is... If I don't like
something, agree with something, want to do or see something, I can just as
easily turn around and walk away and go about my day as normal, just as any
other person, no matter what their choices and beliefs may be!
Just my 2¢, backed up with why!

Stephanie Soderblom CLD CCCE CD(DONA) CBC
Mommy to Mikael 5/9/95 - Kerstyn 8/6/99 - Kevin 8/30/02
and Megan 5/16/05
Birth Minister/Doula/CBE/Pregnancy-Birth Photography
Mesa, AZ
http://www.birthdiaries.com
VISIT OUR NEW ONLINE STORE!