Question about pumping

Old October 31st 06, 04:01 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

Default Question about pumping

DD2, 1 week old today, has been nursing just fine. No problems at all. I
feed her on demand and she does eat well.
Yesterday, I was sitting at the table nursing and I realized that the side
she was not feeding on was leaking. (Yes, I know this is normal) and I
decided to kind of 'catch' it in a cup and see about storing it. I do not
plan to pump for regular bottle use, but I figured that there more than
likely will come a time when she'll need the odd bottle.

So, I'm wondering... When's the best time to pump? I tried while she was
nursing, as I was getting that letdown and leaking from the other side. I
also got up just a little before she did this morning and pumped. I do
notice that it's at night when I find I am the fullest, but I also noticed
that I feel real full just before she's about ready to eat. Is there a time
that's better to pump than others? When I pump, she still does get more
than enough to eat.
Any suggestions?

Old October 31st 06, 05:01 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

xkatx wrote:
[...]

That happens to me all the time and I keep a cloth diaper handy for
that reaason. I should try to 'catch' it but it's always too hard for
me to manuver. I've tried using a hand pump on one side while she feeds
on the other and no go. So, if possible I'll pump just after she feeds.

Old October 31st 06, 06:07 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Erin

What works for me is to pump after her first morning feed. You might
not get much for the first couple of days, but by day three or so, you
will have a bigger yeild.

I am at home and don't need to EP, but I just filled my freezer and am
now letting my supply go back to just being enough for her.
Unfortunately if I don't use all the frozen milk, I can't donate it
because I am on an anti-depressant. Just found out

Old December 14th 06, 06:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Larry Mcmahan

In article SyJ1h.35718$P7.18603@edtnps90, katmagicate@remove says...
[...]

Hi, I am back, at last occasionally after a long vacation...

In regards to your question about pumping, the best time to pump depends
on your reason for doing it.

If you are pumping to store up milk to use when you will be away from
your baby, the best time to pump is
1) early in the morning,
2) on one side while nursing on the other, or
3) at least two hours after your last nursing session.
If you have such a great supply that you can get milk almost any time,
then it doesn't really matter when you pump.

If you are pumping to try to increase your supply, then the best time to
pump is immediately after nursing your baby. You will get a lot less
milk then, but what you do get will stimulate you to produce more.
Notice how this strategy is almost the opposite of what you do to store
extra milk.

Larry