I just need to do a little grr!

Old June 11th 07, 02:30 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

Default I just need to do a little grr!

So, ever since last Wednesday, DD2 has taken a liking to biting me every now
and then. Boy, did I ever forget how painful that is.
It started last Wednesday. We were at DSs soccer game, and DD2 is getting
cranky and hungry. I started to nurse her. She was slightly worked up, I
knew she was hungry and tired. She bit me! I did jump a bit and I nearly
yanked her off. I tried again after I did my best to NOT react to the
biting. Second time, just a second later, she bit me again!
Once again, I nearly yanked her right off and I just said something like,
"Alright. We're done. You bite and we're done nursing." She definitely
did NOT like sitting up in my lap - began screaming like a banshee as I knew
she was hungry (and tired!) I gave her a good half a minute and then I said
we'd try again (she is only 7.5 months) Tried again and she was good to
go - no biting and she nursed great and eventually fell asleep.
All went well, but then on Saturday, I think, it was early in the morning
before anyone got up. I was nursing in bed with her beside me and she ate
fine but didn't want to sleep. It was too early for me to want to get up -
no one else was up yet anyways. I tried to offer more as she has been known
to like to comfort suck. Nope. She likes to amusement bite! Bit me again.
Put her in her bed beside ours and she was happy enough (after a minute) to
just roll and crawl around in her own bed.
Once again this morning... She woke up when N was getting ready for work.
She nursed before that for a little while, then I offered one last time to
make sure she was good and the little monster bit me AGAIN. I leaned over
and put her right back in her bed. She wasn't too impressed with that, as
she normally seems to like to kind of roll and crawl around on and beside me
first thing in the morning as I do a few minutes of dozing and waking up.

I'm just surprised, again,at how sharp those little chompers are. They just
started coming in not long ago. Just the 2 bottom ones at the same time
maybe 3ish weeks ago. DS also bit me once - at about 10 months. It was one
time. He bit me and I pulled him off and put him right on his bum on the
floor beside me to go on his merry way. He did NOT like that and never bit
me again. DD2, OTOH, seems to be a Chomp-a-saurus!!

My mom, now, says it's time for her to go on a bottle if she's biting. I
reminded her that this time I just can't pump at all. I really don't think
this is DD's way of weaning, and she's not allowed to wean yet - as long as
she weans after she's old enough for regular milk, then that's fine. Until
then, it can't happen as I can't pump Biting isn't a sign of weaning,
right? Or is it?

Old June 11th 07, 03:14 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

On Jun 11, 7:30 am, "xkatx" wrote:
[...]

Both of my DD's bit me. My older DD only did it once but, my youngest
has bitten me a few times. The last time I thumped her nose enough to
get her attention then sat her on her bum. She hasn't done it since. I
try not to go back for a second nursing it seems like that's when I
get bit. She is 19 months and still not ready to ween even still.

Hope that helps
Nichole

Old June 11th 07, 08:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

"xkatx" wrote in message
Biting isn't a sign of weaning,
right? Or is it?

Not at all. Biting is very common. Keep up the work of telling her 'no
bite' and end the session. If it continues you may need to sit her down and
walk off or something. It is a phase she'll out grow with what you are
doing.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old June 11th 07, 08:45 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"Nikki" wrote in message
newsYOdnVinEMLLAvDbnZ2dnUVZ_uGknZ2d@prairiewave. com...

"xkatx" wrote in message
Biting isn't a sign of weaning,
right? Or is it?

Not at all. Biting is very common. Keep up the work of telling her 'no
bite' and end the session. If it continues you may need to sit her down
and walk off or something. It is a phase she'll out grow with what you
are doing.

At the soccer game I did just that, only I couldn't really put her down in
the middle of the grass (with a whole bunch of 4-6 year olds kicking a ball
around) and walk away. I just took her off after the second chomp and I put
her on my knee. I then said, not that she'd really understand exactly what
I was saying, something about if you're biting me, you don't want to nurse,
and we're done.
Boy did she scream up a fit! When I tried her again maybe half a minute of
her screaming later, she nursed fine lol
It's just shocking, somewhat. It's been almost 6 years since DS bit me just
once! DD1 never bit me, but boy are DD2's little toofers sharp little
things!

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old June 12th 07, 12:54 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Engram

DD went through a phase of biting me a few weeks ago. She's about the same
age as your DD2. I just took her off and said "no" or "no biting" and sat
her up. She got over it after a few days of being told no and taken off the
breast. Yelping in pain just makes it funny, so try to grit your teeth. That
was probably the hardest thing to do - not to yell out when she chomped down
with all the might of a (then) 7 month old with a couple of teeth. Ouch!

Engram

Old June 14th 07, 07:45 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Tammy

On Jun 11, 7:54?pm, "Engram" wrote:
DD went through a phase of biting me a few weeks ago. She's about the same
age as your DD2. I just took her off and said "no" or "no biting" and sat
her up. She got over it after a few days of being told no and taken off the
breast. Yelping in pain just makes it funny, so try to grit your teeth. That
was probably the hardest thing to do - not to yell out when she chomped down
with all the might of a (then) 7 month old with a couple of teeth. Ouch!

Engram

I asked the same question a little over a year ago. My DD would do the
same thing. Someone suggested pushing on her chin when she would start
to bite. She couldn't stand it. It only took a few times of pushing on
her chin and she stopped. I would also say loudly, not yelling, but
louder than I would normally talk to her during nursing, "No, bite!"
She is 22 months old and still nursing. I hope you get relief soon.

Tammy