Homework over spring break (long)

Old April 4th 05, 02:04 AM
Beth Kevles

In series books that are good but easier to read, has she tried the
Secrets of Droon series? I agree that the Choose your Own Adventure
books might be a hit as well. Finally, instead of focusing just on
books, take her to the library to look at some of the kids' magazines.
Discovery has a good looking magazine, and Cricket has a whole set of
magazines geared to different ages and stages. Ranger Rick is great if
she likes nonfiction. In any event, have her browse through a bunch and
once she finds one she likes, subscribe. My kids get Ranger Rick and
National Geographic Kids and can't WAIT for then to arrive each month.
My 7-year old loves Spider (one from the Cricket group) ... Highlights
has some good ones ...

I hope these ideas help. How old is your daughter, anyway?
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Old April 4th 05, 02:14 AM
Circe

wrote in message
oups.com...
Sue wrote:
My friend didn't want her 2nd grader reading Sounder because the
dog was killed. Her daughter's temperment was such that she would
be really upset over that. But, she *could* read it.

It's interesting. As a child I had poor tolerance for sad books, (and
sheepishly admit I still do). So I completely understand this kind of
'protection' and I did keep upsetting books from my kids when they were
little. But by about 8 or 10 or so, I stopped.

Oh, goodness, I'm still this way. I will shamelessly admit to never having
read such classics as _Sounder_, _Old Yeller_, _The Yearling_, _Where the
Red Fern Grows_, or _Ring of Bright Water_ for precisely this reason. I have
zero emotional tolerance for sad stories about animals, to such an extent
that I actually never even got through _Lassie Come Home_ because, even
though it has a happy ending, I found the middle entirely too sad to read!

Funnily enough, I was at a meeting in a fifth grade classroom at my kids'
school last month and noticed that they were obviously reading _Old Yeller_.
I commented that I thought it was tantamount to child abuse to *make* 10yo's
read that story and I stand by that assessment. Any kid who *doesn't* want
to read an emotionally heart-wrenching story like that shouldn't have to!

Whether it would bother my kids or not, I can't say, of course. I am,
however, dealing with the dilemma of finding appropriately challenging
reading material for my 7yo, who has advanced by leaps and bounds this year
and is probably reading at close to a 5th grade level, but who isn't
necessarily mature enough to want to read stories written for kids 10 or 11
years old. Any suggestions would be welcome. (He has read or is
reading--either by himself or with his dad--all of the Captain Underpants
books, most of the Little House series, a fair portion of the Oz books, _A
Wrinkle in Time_, and _Because of Winn-Dixie_. He's liked all of those. He's
started the first Harry Potter book, but it didn't seem to grab his
interest, so we set it aside for the time being.)
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Mr. Congeniality (7), the Diva (5) and the Race Car Fanatic (3)

I have PMS and ESP...I'm the bitch who knows everything! (T-shirt slogan)

Old April 4th 05, 05:32 AM
Caledonia

Circe wrote in message:

Oh, goodness, I'm still this way. I will shamelessly admit to never

having
read such classics as _Sounder_, _Old Yeller_, _The Yearling_, _Where

the
Red Fern Grows_, or _Ring of Bright Water_ for precisely this reason.

I have
zero emotional tolerance for sad stories about animals, to such an

extent
that I actually never even got through _Lassie Come Home_ because,

even
though it has a happy ending, I found the middle entirely too sad to

read!

I read 'Charlotte's Web' last summer to my (then) 4 y.o., and put off
reading the chapter titled 'The Last Day' for days. She finally grew
exasperated with me, and we plowed onward. Oy. After going through all
the can-do post-war optimism of 'Stuart Little,' I thought this
wouldn't be as bad as I remembered it. No, it was worse. Weepiness for
days, on both her part and mine. I think it will be a decade before
either of us touch 'The Trumpet of the Swan.'

Caledonia

Old April 4th 05, 08:51 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Bruce Bridgman and Jeanne Yang wrote:

She wants to read books on the level of Harry Potter but they are way above
her level right now.

If she likes the fantasy-themed books, a simpler series she might enjoy
is Dragon Slayers' Academy. There is also a pair of books that my boys
enjoyed that are between the DSA level and HP level: The Wizard in the
Woods and The Wizard in Wonderland by Jean Ure. (And I just discovered
while checking those titles that there's actually a third book in that
series that our library doesn't have: The Wizard and the Witch.)

Anyhow, hope those help a bit for books she may be able to read on her
own, in addition to listening to the harder books on tape. Btw, if you
can access the books on tape version of "I Was a Sixth Grade Alien" by
Bruce Coville, it's one of my kids' favorites.

--Robyn

Old April 5th 05, 03:04 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Circe wrote:

Whether it would bother my kids or not, I can't say, of course. I am,
however, dealing with the dilemma of finding appropriately challenging
reading material for my 7yo, who has advanced by leaps and bounds this year
and is probably reading at close to a 5th grade level, but who isn't
necessarily mature enough to want to read stories written for kids 10 or 11
years old. Any suggestions would be welcome. (He has read or is
reading--either by himself or with his dad--all of the Captain Underpants
books, most of the Little House series, a fair portion of the Oz books, _A
Wrinkle in Time_, and _Because of Winn-Dixie_. He's liked all of those. He's
started the first Harry Potter book, but it didn't seem to grab his
interest, so we set it aside for the time being.)

Lloyd Alexander: The Prydain Chronicles (5 books, I think)
Susan Cooper: The Dark is Rising series (5 books)
Elizabeth Spea The Bronze Bow or The Witch of Blackbird Pond

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old April 5th 05, 03:14 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article 5_%3e.3199$ZV5.2478@fed1read05, Circe wrote:

Whether it would bother my kids or not, I can't say, of course. I am,
however, dealing with the dilemma of finding appropriately challenging
reading material for my 7yo, who has advanced by leaps and bounds this year
and is probably reading at close to a 5th grade level, but who isn't
necessarily mature enough to want to read stories written for kids 10 or 11
years old. Any suggestions would be welcome. (He has read or is
reading--either by himself or with his dad--all of the Captain Underpants
books, most of the Little House series, a fair portion of the Oz books, _A
Wrinkle in Time_, and _Because of Winn-Dixie_. He's liked all of those. He's
started the first Harry Potter book, but it didn't seem to grab his
interest, so we set it aside for the time being.)

How about Beverley Cleary's Ramona books and the Mouse and the Motorcycle
books. Those are written at around 5th grade level, I believe, but
the stories appeal to a younger audience as well. There are a *lot* of
books in the Ramona series and "spin-offs" about some of the other characters.

I'd also recommend Judy Blume's "Fudge" series, starting with "Tales of
a Fourth Grade Nothing".

Roald Dahl is a lot of fun too. Beside Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,
I'd suggest The BFG and Matilda. Witches is pretty creepy, but also good.

There are sequels to A Wrinkle in Time too.

HTH,
--Robyn

Old April 5th 05, 03:41 PM
Cathy Weeks

Circe wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Sue wrote:
[...]

Whooo boy, I'd definitely NOT recommend _Bridge to Terebithia_ for you!
Very good, but very said book. :-)

Cathy