OT - when do they understand 'No'?

Old April 11th 04, 08:03 PM
The Watsons

Default OT - when do they understand 'No'?

"nina" wrote in message
It will move up, it always does.

*snickers*

Jess

Old April 12th 04, 03:30 AM
Larry McMahan

Well, in answer to your first question, you don't want to know.
As soon as he learn the meaning of the word no, he will start
using on YOU! :-)

teapot writes:

: Or should it be when do they stop doing whatever they are not supposed
: to do when you say 'No'?

Uh, when he grows up and moves out of the house where you can't say
it to him any more.

: I am consistent about my 'No's'. Nn slapping the cat, no pulling
: cables and putting them in your mouth, no playing with plugs but he
: takes very little notice of me.

You should never SAY no except when you can ENFORCE it immediately and
consistently. Saying no in a situation where it can be ignored sends
an unfortunate and, I assure you, regrettable message

: Teapot and the Moo boy 10mths old

Good luck,
Larry
Old April 12th 04, 03:45 AM
Shannon G

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
Or should it be when do they stop doing whatever they are not supposed
to do when you say 'No'?

I am consistent about my 'No's'. Nn slapping the cat, no pulling
cables and putting them in your mouth, no playing with plugs but he
takes very little notice of me.

Teapot and the Moo boy 10mths old

I've tried to say "no" less and say "Slapping hurts" use "gentle pets" while
showing DD how to properly touch the animals. Also, when grabbing something
off limits, ie. plugs, etc. I use the "that's not a toy for Olivia" and use
the distraction method by giving her something she's allowed to play with.
While I use "no" waaaaay more than I should, I've tried to curb the use
after hearing that a child hears the word a gazzilion times before the age
of 5.

Shannon

Old April 12th 04, 04:51 AM
Irene

"Cat" wrote in message .dk...
"teapot" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
"Cat" wrote in message news:qtcec.141165 Yup! Try 'gentle,

gentle, gentle'. Nothing to confuse the message :-)

But I think he's to young.

Tine, Denmark

but you can't say 'gently' with a cable or a plug socket can you?

teapot

*g* - you can, but it won't work :-D

"Stop!" was my all-purpose word - it worked pretty well, too, even at
10 months. Much better than NO - it stopped whatever ds was doing,
and gave me a moment to think of something more coherant to say!
Also, it's not used in as many other contexts.

Irene
Old April 12th 04, 06:57 PM
Maryilee

Or should it be when do they stop doing whatever they are not supposed
to do when you say 'No'?

I don't think they understand the word "No" until they become parents
themselves. g
Maryilee

Maggie's Christmas page
http://www.angelfire.com/vi/maggie/c...spictures.html
Info on hereditary spherocytosis
http://www.angelfire.com/vi/maggie/spherocytosis.html
Old April 13th 04, 02:47 AM
Nevermind

(teapot) wrote in message . com...
Or should it be when do they stop doing whatever they are not supposed
to do when you say 'No'?

I am consistent about my 'No's'. Nn slapping the cat, no pulling
cables and putting them in your mouth, no playing with plugs but he
takes very little notice of me.

Teapot and the Moo boy 10mths old

My baby is 15 months now and definitely knows "no" and often listens
to it. In fact, she will now sometimes go toward things she knows she
must not touch, like the trashcan, and shake her head. However,
sometimes she still touches them. It's so cute to see the wheels
turning, like, "No, I mustn't touch the trashcan. But I want to! No, I
mustn't. But I want to!!. No, no. I will! I did!!" But she is clearly
learning.

Don't worry about it, just keep on doing what you're doing. First they
have to learn the meaning of the word, which your baby probably has by
now, but the big step is to develop self-control, and that takes a
long time. He will start cooperating first with things he cares less
about. For example, my DD NEVER even attempts to stop herself from
going after the cat whenever she sees her. She loves the cat too much.

Do all the usual things "they" say:
*make the place as child-friendly as possible to minimize the number
of "no's",
*try to instruct in a positive way (gentle with the cat) rather than
negative (don't hit the cat) when applicable,
*don't expect obediance, but do enforce compliance by "helping him" as
needed. So, while you're saying "no," also be moving him away from the
bad thing or holding his arm and gently patting the cat with it.
*don't issue an instruction or a "no" more than 2 or 3 times before
you go over and help him physically. This will continue to be
necessary for a long time. Even in the preschool years, you may find
yourself saying, "Pick up that book please. . . . Please pick up that
book, dear. . . . Hon! Pick up the book" and then having to go over
and lead him to it. At that age, there may be true defiance involved,
which there isn't at 10 months, but the general rule is a good one: be
sure your child knows that when you say something, you mean it. Don't
even bother to say it if you're not willing to follow through.
Old April 13th 04, 03:48 AM
Libby Macdonald

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 20:06:27 -0700, teapot wrote:

Or should it be when do they stop doing whatever they are not supposed to
do when you say 'No'?

I am consistent about my 'No's'. Nn slapping the cat, no pulling cables
and putting them in your mouth, no playing with plugs but he takes very
little notice of me.

Teapot and the Moo boy 10mths old

DS (almost 18 months) has understood "no" perfectly well for a while now,
and is always keen to demonstrate this knowledge. The upside is that
whenever he's doing something he shouldn't he's chanting "no, no, no" and
shaking his head at the same time, so he doesn't get away with much

Libby

Old April 13th 04, 06:01 PM
Andrea

One of the toddler taming books I have says kids don't start to understand
no until they are around 5. Before then they remember for a brief time, then
It also says kkids can't be trusted to cross the road alone safely until age
11.

Andrea mom of 5.