latching problem?

Old August 11th 03, 08:03 PM
Kristi Silva

Default latching problem?

Hi. I have a three week old little girl, and I have a question about
breastfeeding. For about half of her feeding things are going just fine,
then she will start to make this "clicking" noise. All I can figure out is
that she is losing suction and then pulling back on really quick. I've been
pulling her off when she starts it, and getting her to relatch, but I was
wondering if it is a latching problem or something else that I or she is
doing wrong?

She's not cosistent on when she does this. And she didn't really start this
"clicking" noise until after a week and a half or so. Has anyone else had
this problem? Will it go away?

Thank you.

Kristi Silva

Old August 12th 03, 10:25 AM
JoFromOz

Instead of relatching her, you can try just holding her closer to you...
often that is enough for her to be able to suck more breast to the back of
her throat so as not to lose suction, therefore no clicking noises. Let her
have one or two good periods of sucking before you decide that it hasn't
worked, otherwise relatch her, making sure she has lots of breast in her
mouth below the nipple, not so much above. Don't be scared of suffocating
her by drawing her closer - if she can't breathe she will pull away crying.
Ensure her chin and her body is what you draw closer, not her whole head.

HTH

Jo (RM)

--
Babies are Born... Pizzas are delivered.

Old August 15th 03, 04:47 PM
Kristi Silva

"She's A Goddess" wrote in message
. ..

"Kristi Silva" wrote in message
et...
Hi. I have a three week old little girl, and I have a question about
breastfeeding. For about half of her feeding things are going just fine,
then she will start to make this "clicking" noise. All I can figure out

is
that she is losing suction and then pulling back on really quick. I've

been
pulling her off when she starts it, and getting her to relatch, but I

was
wondering if it is a latching problem or something else that I or she is
doing wrong?

My letdown is pretty fierce and DS sounds as if he's clicking when he's
really swallowing fast. Could this be it?

--
Rhiannon
Madison Sophia - 9/6/01

No, during letdown she doesn't usually do it, she's too busy swallowing. It
happens whens she having to suck more to get milk because of the slower
flow. (before and after letdown.)

4/5 yo sleep problem KD General 4 July 20th 04 09:33 PM
Problem with powdered formula joe smith Pregnancy 21 February 16th 04 04:35 PM
Treating the problem Kane General 0 January 24th 04 07:37 PM
3 year old with nap problem Hillary Israeli General 11 December 1st 03 09:32 PM
BF advice Ben Breastfeeding 17 July 25th 03 07:00 PM