OT Wisdom tooth extraction

Old March 27th 04, 08:15 AM
Andrea

Default OT Wisdom tooth extraction

I had a wisdom tooth removed under a local anaesthetic along with the tooth
next to it.
The wisdom tooth was really tough to pull out, the dentist said the roots
were very long.
I had it done on Thursday, and on Friday I felt much better, but today
(Saturday) I feel awful. I have pain at the removal site and more swelling.

How was it when you had your wisdom tooth/teeth extracted? Does this sound
normal?

Andrea mom of 5.

Old March 27th 04, 08:33 AM
Irrational Number

Andrea wrote:

How was it when you had your wisdom tooth/teeth extracted? Does this sound
normal?

I just had a wisdom tooth removed... First of
all, it took forever to numb me. He had to give
me FIVE shots in the marrow to get the tooth
numbed (after the original two shots!). As a
result, for about 10 hours after that, I was
drooling. After four days, I was still in a
lot of pain, so I went back and he put a dressing
in. The dressing fell out, so I just left it.
The spot still ached two days later, but suddenly
it stopped another day later. Now, at almost 2
weeks after, it's still a bit tender, but not
hurting anymore.

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Old March 27th 04, 08:44 AM
Anne Rogers

sounds normal to me, I've not had any out yet, but I am going to and this
sounds like what I've read about.

I'm going to have mine done under a general anaesthetic, partly because
I'm a wimp, but also because my back it playing up at the moment and it
would be really uncomfortable to lie in the chair and be awake.
Old March 27th 04, 10:17 AM
Rosie

Andrew wrote:
I had a wisdom tooth removed under a local anaesthetic along with the

tooth
next to it.
The wisdom tooth was really tough to pull out, the dentist said the roots
were very long.
I had it done on Thursday, and on Friday I felt much better, but today
(Saturday) I feel awful. I have pain at the removal site and more

swelling.

How was it when you had your wisdom tooth/teeth extracted? Does this sound
normal?

Aw! Poor you!

I had all four removed under a general. I felt dreadful and had to take two
weeks off work. I lived on liquidised food and thought I would never feel
better again. I had huge ulcerated welts on the inside of my cheeks where
they held it open with clamps. And I had THE WORST smelling breath you can
imagine. Exactly like dog poo.

(The day after I had it done I had to travel by myself across the country by
train - I passed out in the luggage rack and no one would help me - I'm sure
it was because I smelt so awful they thought I was some kind of unsavoury
person....)

So yes all sounds normal. You'll be just fine in a couple of weeks! Take
paracetamol every 6 hours or whatever is recommended.

Hugs,
ROSIE

Old March 27th 04, 12:46 PM
Andrea

"Irrational Number" wrote in message ...
Andrea wrote:

How was it when you had your wisdom tooth/teeth extracted? Does this

sound
normal?

I just had a wisdom tooth removed... First of
all, it took forever to numb me. He had to give
me FIVE shots in the marrow to get the tooth
numbed (after the original two shots!). As a
result, for about 10 hours after that, I was
drooling. After four days, I was still in a
lot of pain, so I went back and he put a dressing
in. The dressing fell out, so I just left it.
The spot still ached two days later, but suddenly
it stopped another day later. Now, at almost 2
weeks after, it's still a bit tender, but not
hurting anymore.

-- Anita --

I am glad to hear it does get better! When I had fillings done the shots
didn't work. It was very painful.

Andrea.

Old March 27th 04, 12:50 PM
Andrea

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message ...
sounds normal to me, I've not had any out yet, but I am going to and this
sounds like what I've read about.

I'm going to have mine done under a general anaesthetic, partly because
I'm a wimp, but also because my back it playing up at the moment and it
would be really uncomfortable to lie in the chair and be awake.

I was reading somewhere that people recover more quickly from a local than a
general, as with a general they yank you about. When I had my tonsils out I
had cuts on my mouth from the clamp.
I am terrified at the dentists, but now I have had it done I would reccomend
having them out 1 at a time under a local. A friend of mine was suffering
for 2 weeks after all 4 of hers were removed with a general.
It took him about 3 mins to get mine out, and it was a tough one!

Andrea.

Old March 27th 04, 12:52 PM
Andrea

"Rosie"wrote in message ...
Andrew wrote:
[...]

LOL! my husband said my breath stinks - I was so offended!

What an ordeal you had! Sounds like when I was sent by train alone to have
my tonsils out age 14, I was in a right mess before and after.

Andrea.

Old March 27th 04, 03:04 PM
Spanannie

If it continues, please contact your dentist. I had horrible pain after
having my wisdom teeth removed and thought it to be normal....when I really
had "dry sockets." I don't know the technical way to explain what that is,
but it's very painful, but an easy fix. They stuff the whole with something
and it helps tremendously.

Here's a link explaining what it is
http://www.calweb.com/~goldman/dry_sockets.html

Hope you feel better soon!
Annie

Old March 27th 04, 04:23 PM
nina

"Andrea" wrote in message
I had a wisdom tooth removed under a local anaesthetic along with the

tooth
next to it.
The wisdom tooth was really tough to pull out, the dentist said the roots
were very long.
I had it done on Thursday, and on Friday I felt much better, but today
(Saturday) I feel awful. I have pain at the removal site and more

swelling.

How was it when you had your wisdom tooth/teeth extracted? Does this sound
normal?

Sounds normal, they hurt like hell and it takes a while (a week or so)
to feel better.

Old March 27th 04, 11:37 PM
toypup

"Andrea" wrote in message
I had a wisdom tooth removed under a local anaesthetic along with the

tooth
next to it.
The wisdom tooth was really tough to pull out, the dentist said the roots
were very long.
I had it done on Thursday, and on Friday I felt much better, but today
(Saturday) I feel awful. I have pain at the removal site and more

swelling.

How was it when you had your wisdom tooth/teeth extracted? Does this sound
normal?

It's different for different people. I had my four wisdom teeth taken out
in two visits. Both times, it was throbbing the first day. The next day,
it swelled up, but the pain was gone.