1st Newborn Doc Appointment

Old April 7th 04, 10:44 PM
Carol Ann

Default 1st Newborn Doc Appointment

Morgan had her first doctor's appointment today.

Here's the breakdown:

~The hospital miscalculated her length. Today she was 20.5" so that means
that she was NOT 19" at birth. Seems she is in the upper percentile for
height. YIPPEE!!

~She is 7.9 oz. That is up 1 oz from her birthweight.

~Doc said to breastfeed ONLY every 2 hours (1.5 in emergencies).

~Use pacifier if needed. It's better than thumb and frees mom up to regain
sanity.

~No powder, but lotion is okay. Desitin when needed.

~Gave a prescription for Vitamin D, but said it was up to me to decide
whether I wanted her to have it. He said it was recommended by the
Pediatric something but that he felt it was optional.

~Cut nails every other day.

I think that was about it. He explained that nipple confusion would not be
a problem since she is breastfeeding so well at this point.

Let's hope he is right!!

And how are you???????????????????????????

~Carol Ann

Old April 7th 04, 10:59 PM
Nikki

Carol Ann wrote:
Morgan had her first doctor's appointment today.

~She is 7.9 oz. That is up 1 oz from her birthweight.

She's is growing really well. That was always a relief for me at their
first visit :-) Well done!!

~Doc said to breastfeed ONLY every 2 hours (1.5 in emergencies).

I just have to clarify that when breastfeeds are timed/scheduled it
generally means beginning of one feed to the beginning of the next. :-) I
wonder what constitutes an emergency, lol.

And how are you???????????????????????????

Well I'm just fine thank you ';-) I've been looking for an update from you.
Has she settled down a little bit? Hope the pacifier is doing the trick.
Some babies just want to suck constantly!!
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old April 7th 04, 11:03 PM
toypup

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
newsC_cc.211308$_w.1984653@attbi_s53...
~Doc said to breastfeed ONLY every 2 hours (1.5 in emergencies).

What? You mean if the baby is hungry, don't feed her more frequently?
Sorry, but that's just wrong. DS's ped said to feed him when he's hungry,
that babies eat in clusters, going for a stretch without feeding, then
feeding frequently every hour or whatever. With both my kids, that's
exactly what happened.

Old April 7th 04, 11:22 PM
A&G&K

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
newsC_cc.211308$_w.1984653@attbi_s53...

Morgan had her first doctor's appointment today.

Here's the breakdown:

~The hospital miscalculated her length. Today she was 20.5" so that means
that she was NOT 19" at birth. Seems she is in the upper percentile for
height. YIPPEE!!

They though DD was shorter than she really was too - something about being
still so curled up when they do the first length measurement.

~She is 7.9 oz. That is up 1 oz from her birthweight.

Yay

~Doc said to breastfeed ONLY every 2 hours (1.5 in emergencies).

Urghh! My Ped said this too, but my LC clarified it for me - because the
supply-demand loop is settling down early on, it is vitally important to
feed the baby when she is hungry and not to schedule feedings. She said that
peds were wonderful at childhood health, but many simply do not know or
understand the technicalities of the breastfeeding relationship. Feed her
when she is hungry.

~Use pacifier if needed. It's better than thumb and frees mom up to

regain
sanity.

Do what you need to do, but I'd still limit its use to when you *really*
need it. I agree its is better than the thumb ... as I was a thumbsucker
for *many* years and it was very hard to give up (I was at school by the
time I decided I was too big). Mum would despair as she couldn't take it
off me. It also had the added benefit of pulling my adult teeth into
alignment so I didn't need braces (but that just might be me

~No powder, but lotion is okay. Desitin when needed.

~Gave a prescription for Vitamin D, but said it was up to me to decide
whether I wanted her to have it. He said it was recommended by the
Pediatric something but that he felt it was optional.

~Cut nails every other day.

Bite them off if you can - less risk of cutting baby's fingers.

I think that was about it. He explained that nipple confusion would not

be
a problem since she is breastfeeding so well at this point.

Let's hope he is right!!

And how are you???????????????????????????

~Carol Ann

Sounds like Morgan is growing and feeing well
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old April 7th 04, 11:40 PM
Carol Ann

~Doc said to breastfeed ONLY every 2 hours (1.5 in emergencies).

What? You mean if the baby is hungry, don't feed her more frequently?
Sorry, but that's just wrong. DS's ped said to feed him when he's hungry,
that babies eat in clusters, going for a stretch without feeding, then
feeding frequently every hour or whatever. With both my kids, that's
exactly what happened.

I'm going to breastfeed when she shows true signs of wanting to feed.
Another thing he said was that when she cries to pick her up and give her
all the attention she needs. Hold her, play with her, sing to her....just
don't let her lay there screaming.

My concern with giving her the breast 24/7 is that she uses it to fall
asleep, then I put her down and she wakes up and wants it again. Then, she
falls asleep and the cycle continues. I'm not sure WHY she is doing this,
but it is the only real problem we've been having.

I just don't know if I want to be a human pacifier.

~Carol Ann

Old April 7th 04, 11:46 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Carol Ann wrote:

Morgan had her first doctor's appointment today.
=20
Here's the breakdown:
=20
~The hospital miscalculated her length. Today she was 20.5" so that me=

ans
that she was NOT 19" at birth. Seems she is in the upper percentile fo=

height. YIPPEE!!
=20
~She is 7.9 oz. That is up 1 oz from her birthweight.

WTG!! :-)

~Doc said to breastfeed ONLY every 2 hours (1.5 in emergencies).

I suggest you ask your doctor to review the recommendations from *HIS*=20
organization - The American Academy of Pediatrics. From the AAP website:=

http://www.aap.org/family/brstguid.htm

"Let your baby feed on demand=97that is, whenever he is hungry. Watch for=
=20
different signals from your baby, rather than the clock to decide when=20
to nurse. When your baby is hungry, he may do any of the following:

* nuzzle against your breast.
* show the rooting reflex.
* make sucking motions or put hand to mouth.
* cry.

It is best not to wait until your baby is overly hungry before you=20
breastfeed."

~Cut nails every other day.

Really? I wonder why so often? I cut Isabella's nails for the first=20
time a couple of weeks ago. Prior to that, I tore them off when there=20
was a break in the nail.

--=20
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/isabellazora/

~ Harriet Martineau

Old April 7th 04, 11:49 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Carol Ann wrote:

My concern with giving her the breast 24/7 is that she uses it to fall
asleep, then I put her down and she wakes up and wants it again.

Are you sure that she's completely, floppy-limbed, deeply asleep? It
takes us as long as 30 minutes to get to that point, and once she's
asleep, I can move her around quite a bit. Before then, I dare not
twitch or she'll be awake.

Phoebe

Old April 7th 04, 11:50 PM
Belphoebe

Carol Ann wrote:

My concern with giving her the breast 24/7 is that she uses it to fall
asleep, then I put her down and she wakes up and wants it again.
Then, she falls asleep and the cycle continues. I'm not sure WHY she
is doing this, but it is the only real problem we've been having.

I just don't know if I want to be a human pacifier.

Sounds like normal newborn behavior. It does pass.

--
Belphoebe

Old April 8th 04, 12:22 AM
toypup

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
~Doc said to breastfeed ONLY every 2 hours (1.5 in emergencies).

What? You mean if the baby is hungry, don't feed her more frequently?
Sorry, but that's just wrong. DS's ped said to feed him when he's

hungry,
that babies eat in clusters, going for a stretch without feeding, then
feeding frequently every hour or whatever. With both my kids, that's
exactly what happened.

I'm going to breastfeed when she shows true signs of wanting to feed.
Another thing he said was that when she cries to pick her up and give her
all the attention she needs. Hold her, play with her, sing to her....just
don't let her lay there screaming.

TBH, they don't really care to be played with initially. If a newborn is
crying, it's not because she's bored. Though they may cry from pain, cold,
dirty diaper, reflux, IME, it's nearly always from hunger and then
afterwards from gas. Of course, if baby is colicky, who knows why they cry.
So, I tend to feed first. If they're not hungry, they won't take the
breast. Then, go from there. Eventually, you'll be able to tell better
what she needs.

30 week appointment Mary S. Pregnancy 7 July 28th 04 02:23 AM
35 Week midwife appointment yesterday... Jill Pregnancy 6 April 14th 04 11:36 AM
1st Newborn Doc Appointment Carol Ann Pregnancy 9 April 11th 04 03:41 AM
Don't feel like going to Dr appointment. Ugh. Jill Pregnancy 15 March 23rd 04 10:28 PM
28 Week appointment (in week 29 actually!) Jill Pregnancy 18 March 5th 04 09:18 PM