Leg Cramps

Old July 18th 03, 11:55 AM
Mom2B

Default Leg Cramps

Anyone know what causes leg cramps at night? I've been getting them in my
calf muscles (ooch!) and the pain is unbelievable (I'm hoping labour pains
are not much worse!)

I've been told that pointing my feet towards me can help. What I want to
know is, are these cramps related to diet? I've read in books that having a
glass of milk after cramp can help. Anyone have anymore information?

Anika.
EDD 11th Jan 2004

Old July 18th 03, 04:18 PM
Sue

Yes the cramps can be related to diet. It usually means that you don't have
enough calcium and/or potassium. Start drinking some calcium enriched orange
juice, bannas and other calcium/potassium rich foods. During the day, you
can do the exercises and hopefully all of this put together you can get some
relief. Good luck. )
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Old July 18th 03, 10:51 PM
zeldabee

Astromum wrote:

If you do cramp up, try to point your toes toward your nose. Stand
up as soon as you can and put the foot flat on the floor, and try
to stretch your calfs by moving your knee forward.

Um...I did this early this morning when I woke with a cramp in my calf. I
pointed my toe up, and got a cramp on the top of my foot. /

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/
Old July 19th 03, 02:56 AM
Alphawave

Anika says:

Anyone know what causes leg cramps at night? I've been getting them in
my calf muscles (ooch!) and the pain is unbelievable (I'm hoping labour
pains are not much worse!)

Oh yeah, that leg cramp pain is awful! I had only one with my second
pregnancy, but it had me crying in agony in about 10 seconds.

I've been told that pointing my feet towards me can help. What I want
to know is, are these cramps related to diet?

I always hear that they're related to diet, but it never seemed to
correlate for me. The exercise you mention is the only thing that ever
helped me. I did it before going to bed and whenever I felt that a cramp
might be coming on. And whatever you do, don't point your toes when you
stretch your legs at night! That can really bring a cramp on.

-- Alpha
alphawave at earthlink dot net

Old July 27th 03, 02:19 AM
toypup

"Astromum" wrote in message
If you do cramp up, try to point your toes toward your nose. Stand
up as soon as you can and put the foot flat on the floor, and try
to stretch your calfs by moving your knee forward.

I second pointing toes towards the nose. I did this and it works.
Eventually, I could feel the cramps coming on in my sleep and could head off
a full blown attack by immediately pulling my toes up.