obscure but possibly useful morning sickness idea

Old January 30th 04, 04:16 PM
P Harris

Default obscure but possibly useful morning sickness idea

I am not attaching this to any existing thread because (still throwing
up almost daily at 15 weeks, myself) I know how MADDENING it is when
you mention morning sickness and Helpful People chirp up with alleged
cures and make it seem like only a lazy idiot would still be suffering
:-) But then OTOH it can't hurt to have a larger library of things
to try, and here's something that helps me a LOT that I have not seen
this mentioned in books or on this forum...

First, just so's this doesn't sound completely insane ;-) let me
explain that I have spent a LOT of my life working with horses. (Tho
not as a career). It is moderately common knowledge among horsemen
that when a horse is colicking, for some reason it can often help
soothe him if you gently grasp his ears around their bases and slowly
firmly stroke outwards to the tips, lather rinse repeat as needed.
That alone won't generally cure the colic, of course, but can make the
horse a LOT comfier and thus safer and healthier for the time being.

So, a couple weeks ago I was once again about to heave-up and was
nowhere near a suitable receptacle, and just on a whim I tried doing
that to my own ears -- pinching them where they attach to your head at
the most concave part and pulling lightly out towards the top tip of
the ear. To my astonishment, the nausea almost instantly vanished!
This has been my mainstay since then. Unfortunately the effect only
lasts 20 seconds or so, sigh, but with suitable repetition can often
keep me going til the nausea has temporarily passed, or worst case
scenario it at leasts lets me get to the toilet in time ;-)

A friend says she's been told there is an accupuncture point on the
ear, somewhere, that can address nausea, but that's all she remembers.

Anyhow, even though it isn't a miracle cure, just a stopgap measure,
and heaven only knows WHY it works, and I have no idea whether it'll
work for anyone else, if you are feeling desperate or experimental it
might be worth trying. *I* certainly wish I'd known about it much much
earlier in my pregnancy! ;-P

Good luck,

Pat
Old February 1st 04, 12:31 AM
A&G&K

"P Harris" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thanks for the tip Pat My body responds well to acupressure so I will
try it.

Thanks also for the bit about those Helpful People! I'm also sick of people
who try and tell me how my ms feels (especially MEN!!! clarification - a guy
I know dared to quote me that bogus and utter crap study that suggested that
ms is all in our head brought on by feelings of anxiety .... funnily enough
both I and my SIL suffered from ms before we even knew we were pg ... my SIL
for 20 weeks before she knew with #2!)

Ta
Amanda

Old February 1st 04, 09:15 PM
Cam & Shane

Thanks also for the bit about those Helpful People! I'm also sick of

people
who try and tell me how my ms feels (especially MEN!!! clarification - a

guy
I know dared to quote me that bogus and utter crap study that suggested

that
ms is all in our head brought on by feelings of anxiety .... funnily

enough
both I and my SIL suffered from ms before we even knew we were pg ... my

SIL
for 20 weeks before she knew with #2!)

Ta
Amanda

Yeah - what is it with men telling you how ms or labour and delivery
feels???

I just use that saying from Friends "No uterus, no opinion"

Camille

Old February 2nd 04, 12:40 AM
A&G&K

"Cam & Shane" wrote in message

Thanks also for the bit about those Helpful People! I'm also sick of

people
who try and tell me how my ms feels (especially MEN!!! clarification - a

guy
I know dared to quote me that bogus and utter crap study that suggested

that
ms is all in our head brought on by feelings of anxiety .... funnily

enough
both I and my SIL suffered from ms before we even knew we were pg ... my

SIL
for 20 weeks before she knew with #2!)

Ta
Amanda

Yeah - what is it with men telling you how ms or labour and delivery
feels???

I just use that saying from Friends "No uterus, no opinion"

Camille

Snort! I like that one

Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Morning sickness. Ugh. Donna Pregnancy 15 January 11th 04 11:45 AM
Self-hypnosis for morning sickness? V Pregnancy 1 January 3rd 04 12:06 AM
Morning sickness = depression Jill Pregnancy 32 December 16th 03 10:02 PM
Morning Sickness Defender Pregnancy 9 December 3rd 03 04:57 PM
morning sickness question alissa Pregnancy 7 November 1st 03 02:06 PM