Baby blankets..

Old February 2nd 04, 05:12 AM
Jill

Default Baby blankets..

I was just wondering if there are any brands/styles/materials of baby
blankets out there that are more durable, don't pill or snag, and better at
not staining from spit-up etc?

I am wonder what basic brand and style of baby blankets (receiving blankets)
especially are good at not staining or wearing out in the laundry. I have
afew of the really soft Carter's fleece. The packs of receiving blankets
that aren't fleece(Carter's) seem to be so tough and non-soft. They are
probably durable though.

What are some good brands and styles of baby blankets? Maybe suggestions
from those available at Babysrus.com? Come to think of it, how DO you keep
infant blankets and clothing from staining when they spit up?

Old February 2nd 04, 06:22 AM
CY

One word. Breastfeed! LOL. None of my DD"s clothes were stained due to
spitup. It's only the nasty brown formula stains that cause problems IMO!

Old February 2nd 04, 09:51 AM
Jacqui

CY wibbled

One word. Breastfeed! LOL. None of my DD"s clothes were stained
due to spitup. It's only the nasty brown formula stains that
cause problems IMO!

Colostrum stains too. Come to that, so does milk - it's not a
particularly noticeable stain but it will feel "starched" if it dries.

Jac
Old February 2nd 04, 12:05 PM
Kari

One word. Breastfeed! LOL. None of my DD"s clothes were stained due to
spitup. It's only the nasty brown formula stains that cause problems IMO!

Ditto My daughter was a formula fed baby and a lot of her newborn things
were stained pretty badly after she wore them a few times. Neither of the
boys had that problem with their things, even when they spit-up, which
was/is rare (both breastfed)

As far as your blanket question, I have several brands and I can tell you my
favorites and which ones I think totally suck too, lol..

My favorite at the moment is a fleece-like one from Carters, the line that
sells at Walmart, Child of Mine. They come in different colors, I think
blue, yellow or pink and there is an animal on it. We have the blue Zebra
and the yellow Giraffe. Perfect size, soft, warm and price wise, reasonable.
The do pill if you put them in the dryer, I figured that out the 2nd time I
washed one so I just hang it over the dryer, hamper, etc and it hasn't
gotten any worse.

I had one from Pottery Barn Kids to match the crib bedding - not a quilt but
one of their stroller blankets and it was HORRIBLE! It got so badly pilled
after one wash I complained about it to their site and they gave me my money
back. It seriously looked like it was washed a LOT and used a lot after one
time.

I love Gymboree blankets, I collect them actually (I know, pretty pathetic
They are hit or miss though, some are very soft, thick and some are not
as soft (starchy and thin). The only way to tell is feel them when you're
there. On sale, I've gotten one for 6.99 but they usually are 24.00 each I
think. We have 2 of their fleece ones and they are awesome, better than the
Carters actually for pill control but smaller and not as thick. I love them
because they come out with one to match each of their collections, which I
usually buy all of - at least lately for Xan Man, Its our favorite place to
shop for him and especially if you have a girl, you must go there!!!

Regular receiving blankets I didnt use for blankets but for stuffing in the
diaper bag to lay down on restroom changing tables, in the cart, in the car,
etc. I like something a little more beefy than a thin blanket I guess.

Kari
mom to Kaylie (8) Noah (4) and Xander (4 mos)

Old February 2nd 04, 01:01 PM
Nancy P

"Jill" wrote in message
. com...
I was just wondering if there are any brands/styles/materials of baby
blankets out there that are more durable, don't pill or snag, and better

at
not staining from spit-up etc?

I found that the Carter's flannel blankets swaddled much better than the
waffle-weave ones. No problems with staining in this house at the newborn
stage, but I'd recommend getting a bucket of Oxiclean for soaking.

Nancy

Old February 2nd 04, 02:20 PM
Kat

"Jill" wrote in message
. com...
I was just wondering if there are any brands/styles/materials of baby
blankets out there that are more durable, don't pill or snag, and better

at
not staining from spit-up etc?

I am wonder what basic brand and style of baby blankets (receiving

blankets)
especially are good at not staining or wearing out in the laundry. I have
afew of the really soft Carter's fleece. The packs of receiving blankets
that aren't fleece(Carter's) seem to be so tough and non-soft. They are
probably durable though.

What are some good brands and styles of baby blankets? Maybe suggestions
from those available at Babysrus.com? Come to think of it, how DO you keep
infant blankets and clothing from staining when they spit up?

When my DD was a tiny baby we loved the Gymboree blankets. they were larger
than others and really thick and soft. I don't know if they make them any
more...Carter's also seems to have nice blankets.
Kat
Mama to Maggie 11/03/01
and #2 EDD was 02/01/04

Old February 2nd 04, 02:39 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Jill wrote:

I was just wondering if there are any brands/styles/materials of baby
blankets out there that are more durable, don't pill or snag, and better at
not staining from spit-up etc?

I am wonder what basic brand and style of baby blankets (receiving blankets)
especially are good at not staining or wearing out in the laundry. I have
afew of the really soft Carter's fleece. The packs of receiving blankets
that aren't fleece(Carter's) seem to be so tough and non-soft. They are
probably durable though.

Lands End used to have fabulous flannel receiving
blankets, but they don't make them anymore :-( Most of the
other flannel receiving blankets will soften with washing.
The softer microfleece blankets will stay pretty soft and
are less likely to pill than regular fleece blankets. Still,
they're not cotton, which I think is usually nice, especially
when it's not really cold. Barefoot Dreams has lovely blankies,
but they're very expensive. You can also find cotton thermal
blankets, which are usually nice.

What are some good brands and styles of baby blankets? Maybe suggestions
from those available at Babysrus.com? Come to think of it, how DO you keep
infant blankets and clothing from staining when they spit up?

Breastfeed ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old February 2nd 04, 02:58 PM
Nikki

Jill wrote:
I was just wondering if there are any brands/styles/materials of baby
blankets out there that are more durable, don't pill or snag, and
better at not staining from spit-up etc?

I think the tough ones you mention soften after washing. One waffle weave
one is nice I think. They are generally a bit bigger and so soft :-)
Sorry, I don't have specific recommendations. I always bought second hand
so took what I could find, lol.

how DO you keep infant blankets and clothing from staining when
they spit up?

Put in your order now for a baby that doesn't spit :-D. Neither of mine
spit so I didn't have to worry about stains until they were toddlers.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old February 2nd 04, 03:30 PM
Sophie

"CY" wrote in message
One word. Breastfeed! LOL. None of my DD"s clothes were stained due to
spitup. It's only the nasty brown formula stains that cause problems IMO!

Not all formula is brown.

If you do get formula spit up on stuff just throw it in the wash. It's not
rocket science. If a bib is totally saturated with spit up, just rub some
dishwashing liquid on it then throw it in the wash. Dishwashing liquid is
also good at getting baby food out of baby clothes and bibs.

Old February 2nd 04, 04:27 PM
Jill

"Sophie" wrote

Not all formula is brown.

If you do get formula spit up on stuff just throw it in the wash. It's

not
rocket science. If a bib is totally saturated with spit up, just rub some
dishwashing liquid on it then throw it in the wash. Dishwashing liquid is
also good at getting baby food out of baby clothes and bibs.

That's what I was wondering, if there was something you could spray or rub
on a fresh stain and then toss it into the laundry pile to be washed with
the next load, even if it is a day or two away....I guess I can try those
Spray and Wash stain sticks too...