Cats and babies

Old August 12th 04, 02:45 PM
Zaz

Default Cats and babies

Here is an interesting article DH found about cats (we have three) and
babies.

Anecdote: I have been advocating for a screen door to the baby's room since
day one, but DH was putting up all kinds of arguments against it - calling
me paranoid, suggesting we use fences with bells on top, etc.
As he was reading this article to me, he was more and more adamant about not
getting the screen door: you see, it's not so bad, a net over the crib is
fine, blah blah blah... until he got to the part where the writer says:
"Keep the nursery door closed or fit a screen door when baby is asleep".
How I laughed! - now we're getting our screen door!

Old August 13th 04, 12:03 AM
Jamie Clark

We never bothered with either a net over the crib, or a screen door. The
nursery is open all day long, but it's upstairs, and we are downstairs all
day. We had a different cat when we brought Taylor home than we do now, but
neither cat has ever paid her much mind. The cat goes where ever she wants,
and she has no interest in being close to Taylor or her room. To know
knowledge, she has never done more than explore in Taylor's room, and
certainly never jumped up into the crib, although I do know that cats can do
that. When Taylor is napping or sleeping, her door is closed, but that has
more to do with noise levels and darkness, than the cat. The cat has
finally allowed Taylor to "catch" and pet her for short amounts of time,
then she scoots off and finds a quiet place to hide.

I say wait and see how YOUR cat reacts before doing anything or purchasing
anything. You may not need to do anything.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://www.geocities.com/clarkadopt2004/

Old August 13th 04, 03:40 AM
Marie

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:29:09 +0000, "Dave {Reply Address in.sig}"
wrote:
I can't see why it's really necessary.

Because the cat will suck the baby's breath out of him? (no it's
really that little troll in the wall)
Our kitten tries to avoid my youngest, and from what I've seen most of
them will avoid babies, or at least sniff around some but not harm
them.
Marie
Old August 13th 04, 04:25 AM
Plissken

"Zaz" wrote in message
Here is an interesting article DH found about cats (we have three) and
babies.

Anecdote: I have been advocating for a screen door to the baby's room

since
day one, but DH was putting up all kinds of arguments against it - calling
me paranoid, suggesting we use fences with bells on top, etc.
As he was reading this article to me, he was more and more adamant about

not
getting the screen door: you see, it's not so bad, a net over the crib is
fine, blah blah blah... until he got to the part where the writer says:
"Keep the nursery door closed or fit a screen door when baby is asleep".
How I laughed! - now we're getting our screen door!

I never got either. I think most cats don't like crying babies and stay
away. What I did do at night while we were all sleeping was would shut the
door to our room (baby slept beside our bed for the first 9 months) so the
cat couldn't get in. During the day the cat had free run of the house. I
just kept my eye on things.

He occasionally jumped up with the baby but soon figured out that he didn't
like doing that. Once DD was in her own crib and her own room (at 9 months)
there was NO WAY the cat was getting in with her. DD would have loved it but
the cat is a little scared of her.

Nadene

Old August 13th 04, 06:54 AM
Naomi Pardue

Our kitten tries to avoid my youngest, and from what I've seen most of
them will avoid babies, or at least sniff around some but not harm
them.

We did the screen door thing. While the cats rarely tried to get into the crib
when Shaina was sleeping, they WOULD get in when it was empty, or sleep on the
piles of clean diapers and clothes. And the screen door meant that we could
leave her bedroom door open, so we could hear her if she needed us.
(Incidently, 12 years later, the screen door is still in use.)

Naomi
Old August 13th 04, 04:45 PM
Sue

I never bothered with screens or doors closed when the babies were small and
we had a cat. The cat mostly avoided the babies like the plague.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old August 13th 04, 05:07 PM
Zaz

When my little brother was born, my cat got so jealous she used to go pee in
his crib whenever the door was left open...

I am not worried about two of my cats, but my oldest did that when I first
introduced DH to him: for two weeks, he would mark his territory on DH'
shoes, jacket, etc.... as well as in the bed. And FYI, he was neutered
As for the other two, whenever they get into baby's room, they try to get in
her moses, on which we had to put a cover, or in the stroller, or wherever
they've never set foot before.

A screen door would also stop all that cat hair from going into baby's
room...

You know, peace of mind is never too costly. I don't plan on using any
monitor, but a screen door is

Old August 13th 04, 05:10 PM
Zaz

"Plissken" wrote in message

What I did do at night while we were all sleeping was would shut the

door to our room (baby slept beside our bed for the first 9 months) so the
cat couldn't get in. During the day the cat had free run of the house. I
just kept my eye on things.

Oh gosh... I can just imagine the concerto we would get if we left our
bedroom door closed! Our cats are such spoiled brats, they would wake up
the neighbours if we ever forbid them entry to our bedroom!
So net over the crib while baby's in the room, and a screen door to the
baby's room it is for me.

You know, peace of mind is not that expensive, but it's worth a lot to me!

Old August 13th 04, 06:49 PM
Christine

I was very worried about my cat ( Lucy ) but it has'nt been a problem at
all...BUT all cats are different and why take a chance, I say you cant
be TOO careful.....only YOU know your kitty...;-))
the screen door is a great idea....!

I was always worried because Lucy is a very cuddley kitty, and i thought
she would want to snuggle up to chloe especially around her mouth, where
the milk smell is...lol....
I would'nt mind if she would cuddle with her but it is a smoother issue
with me.
but as i said, it has been no problem...

good luck...

Chrissy & Chloe....

Old August 14th 04, 01:38 AM
Kim E.

In article %wWSc.89870$J06.12873@pd7tw2no,
says...

"Zaz" wrote:
[...]

I do the same thing with our cats right now. Our cats actually don't
seem to mind the baby, even when he cries, but the most they do is stare
at him and walk up and sniff him while looking at him like, "this isn't
another cat or a chipmunk, what is it!?"

He occasionally jumped up with the baby but soon figured out that he didn't
like doing that. Once DD was in her own crib and her own room (at 9 months)
there was NO WAY the cat was getting in with her. DD would have loved it but
the cat is a little scared of her.

Yeah, at 9 months the baby can defend herself!

-kim