What can you do while breastfeeding a young baby?

Old January 18th 06, 08:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default What can you do while breastfeeding a young baby?

Hmm... for the first six months, I would get K latched on while she was
laying on the boppy pillow, then type over her head as I was trying to
work from home with her. Around six months she didn't sleep as much
and was more efficient at nursing, so had a lot more time to want to
'help'. After some emails were sent before completed, and her happy
and not-so-happy noises became part of several conference calls, I
decided I really needed daycare!

Other things... read, watch t.v., take a bath (K still loves nursing in
the bath tub at almost 16 months old), talk to my mom on the phone
(Grandma really enjoys listening to Katy slurp, coo, and eventually
snore...).

Before we learned to nurse lying down, I would push my chair so that my
knees butted up against the crib (we still nurse in an old light weight
office chair.. the only one in the house that is the right height, has
the back straight enough, etc...) so that K wouldn't roll off the Boppy
in my lap and I would doze off. I've spent entire nights like that,
head bowed, K latched on, both of us sleeping peacefully :-)

Marion
single mom to Katy-Bug (10/4/2004)
15mos and still going strong! used breastshield for first 11 months.

Old January 18th 06, 08:27 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I read a lot of books, and spent at lot of time NAK (nursing at
keyboard), reading and posting to Usenet. But the NAK was reinforcing
for Monkey Boy to the point that at 5 months old he began demanding to
sit in my lap and type for himself. Also, I think that is part of why
he weaned at 9 months; he became more interested in the computer than
in nursing. At 21 months now he still types almost every day. He says
"Boy type! My turn 'puter. Open window." and tells me what color he
wants the letters to be. He has learned how to say the names of many
letters and their position on the keyboard. Currently, meaning for the
past month, he is most interested in the letter s. My time at the
computer is now very restricted, so my advice to you is: make the most
of it while you still can. :-)

Old January 18th 06, 09:07 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward wrote:
I'm in my 36th week, and am wondering what sorts of things one can do
while breastfeeding. I understand lots of women watch TV. I have lots
of books I've started to read and haven't finished so I'd like to get
that done while breastfeeding.

What do others do?

I work, . I do digital art and 3d texture work while I nurse. I
switch sides and am ambedextrious with my mouse work but my pen tablet
I can only do when he nurses the right side since I'm a leftie.

I also have shopped, given my other kids a bath, cooked dinner, had my
hair done, etc.

Kandace
James 11/19
Jessie 7/24/01
Jacob 10/21/98
Jackie 8/28/96
www.kandacewright.com

Old January 19th 06, 12:11 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

With all three babies I usually went everyday while bf. My SIL thought
that
was gross, but she did not bf so alot of what I did was gross to her.
When I potty-trained my oldest daughter, I had to wipe her so many times
while my middle daughter was bf. That can get tricky!

that's when the baby gets put down! Though I have done at least some of the
dealing with a potty training toddler whilst bf as Ada was only 8+ weeks
when N suddenly announced he was going to use the potty.

Anne

Old January 19th 06, 11:13 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In .com,
Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward wrote:

*I'm in my 36th week, and am wondering what sorts of things one can do
*while breastfeeding. I understand lots of women watch TV. I have lots
*of books I've started to read and haven't finished so I'd like to get
*that done while breastfeeding.

Hmm. Immediately postpartum with my first:

watch tv, talk on the phone, talk with visitors

After the first week or so postpartum with my first:

read online stuff, watch tv, talk with visitors or on the phone, walk
around the house, read books

After the first month postpartum:

read online stuff, type, read books, watch tv, talk with visitors, make
and receive phone calls, answer the door, produce a urine sample for the
OB, go through grocery store checkout line

Today (third nursling will be 1 yr old 1/27):
all of the above plus:
read and write at the computer, prepare and send out snail mail, feed 5
and 3 yr old breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack; pack lunches for other
kids; help 3 yr old use potty; sort through the mail; play with play-doh;
etc etc etc

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old January 19th 06, 11:14 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In . com,
ls wrote:

*Once a week!? LOL!
*
*All of the women I've told this to said no, they've never pee'd while
*bf.
*Now I wonder how many do it!

My first was latched on solidly at my six week postpartum OB visit when
the nurse said "urine sample please." I obliged. He never unlatched.

Old January 20th 06, 04:18 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
My first was latched on solidly at my six week postpartum OB visit when
the nurse said "urine sample please." I obliged. He never unlatched.

*cracking up*

Jess