Sore nipples

Old January 19th 06, 07:13 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Sore nipples

Mary W. wrote:
Dani wrote:
Also, I thought that you got thrush from the baby. Is it possible that
I have it when I haven't been able to begin breastfeeding yet?
Thanks

I'm not exactly sure how you get thrush, just that antibiotics
will kill the good stuff that keeps it at bay, so that's
why I asked. I've had it several times and only once has
my baby been symptomatic for it.

Thrush is just another name for a yeast infection. You get it the same
way that you get vaginal yeast infections after a course of
antibiotics. Your skin normally has a flora of bacteria and fungus on
it. Infections flare up when this flora is disturbed. Antibiotics kill
off bacteria indiscriminately, including the good bacteria that keep
the yeast fungus in check.

I had thrush when my baby was a couple of weeks old and boy, did it
hurt! I'm on antibiotics for mastitis right now, so I'm treating for
thrush prophylactically.

Susan

Old January 20th 06, 02:12 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I will try. Thanks for the advice

Dani

Jeffrey Loren 1/7/06
http://babymeehan.blogspot.com

Old January 20th 06, 02:15 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Thanks, I'll run it by one of the LC's at the NICU and see what they
think. Thanks for all the info

Old January 20th 06, 04:47 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Dani wrote:
Any advice for sore nipples? Our baby is in the NICU and is still too
young to BF. I have been exclusively pumping and I am keeping the
suction as low as possible but the nipples are really sore. I have been
putting purelan 100 on each time I pump and it is helping but they are
still very sore.
Thanks

Dani

Jeffrey 1/7/06
http://babymeehan.blogspot.com

Responding to multiple threads here....sorry.

I don't have much advice on the sore nipples, except recommending the
purelan and ice packs and time. They eventually get used to all this
new activity.

As far as your output goes....it's sounds like you're doing pretty
good. Being able to keep up with his feedings is a good thing. One
thing I will suggest, is when he starts feeding, try pumping on the
other side while he feeds on one side. I do this with Jeremy in order
to build up my freezer stash for when I go back to work. I got a chest
freezer a couple months ago, so if you want a place to store your
freezer stash...let us know!

I just got updated on the blog and was sorry to hear about Jeffrey's
troubles. When I had talked to Brian everything sounded SO good, it
broke my heart to read the latest postings. We had been hoping to come
and visit, but Nathan and I both have a cough and Jeremy is on
antibiotics for infected seborrheic dermatitis. SO, it looks like
Jeffrey and Jeremy already have something in common...staph! (that's
what they think the culture they took of his face today will come back
with....) It's important for future best friends to have something in
common don't you know!

Hang in there and if you guys need anything...just give a call.

Joanne
Mom to Nathan (09/28/02) and Jeremy (10/27/05)

Old January 20th 06, 05:43 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Dani writes:
: Thanks, I'll run it by one of the LC's at the NICU and see what they
: think. Thanks for all the info

: Dani

: Jeffrey Loren 1/7/06
: http://babymeehan.blogspot.com

I don't want to be rude or skeptical, but sometimes hospital LCs can
be less than helpful. Are they IBCLC certified? That would help.

Regarding the thrush possibility, I would try the Lotrimin treatment
as a precaution anyway.

Larry

AFand sore nipples al Breastfeeding 2 October 28th 05 10:38 PM
sore nipples & breasts MonifromMarrs Breastfeeding 4 January 18th 04 10:42 PM
sore nipples at 5 months Anne Rogers Breastfeeding 11 November 10th 03 12:07 AM
Sore nipples (A real post... ^.^) AlenasMom Breastfeeding 5 October 28th 03 06:45 PM