TODDLER REFUSING TO EAT

Old January 19th 06, 11:42 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default TODDLER REFUSING TO EAT

Hi Parents -

My 13 month old daughter is not eating properly these days. Even a week
back she was eating some things(which has to be her choice though) but
now she doesnot want to take anything more than 2 or 3 bites even the
things she used to like. She had a very small range of foods she liked
so maybe she got bored. We have been trying different options but she
doesnot take anything more than 2/3 times.
We are worried about her nutrition and health.
She doesnot like any stuff she needs to chew a lot(she throws out peas,
chicken pieces) from her mouth but she used to eat rice, bread, banana
and other semi-soft things(no puree stuff or jar foods anymore.she just
will not take that). But now she will not take even her favorite food
like macaroni cheese more than two or three pieces.
Incidentally we noticed she picks up things on her own and eat but that
is too little..after a while she gets bored and prefers to move on to
her toys.

I will highly appreciate if you can please share your
experience/remedies in similar situation.
tia.

Old January 19th 06, 11:58 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

New Mommy writes:
[...]

First suggestion is to just not worry as much. I know from our kids
experience, that kids will go through a phase when they will eat
everything, then also not eat much for a while. As long as she is
nursing regulary she will get all the nutrition she needs. At 13 mos,
solids is not a significant part of her diet, and secondly, if she
needs more she will readily accept it. DO NOT TRY TO COERCE HER TO
EAT MORE THAN SHE WANTS. :-)

Next, there can be a personal control issue here. You might try
feeding her more foods that she can put in her mouth herself. I
know you say it is too little, but remember that she will eat
until satisfied.

Larry
Old January 20th 06, 02:29 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

New Mommy wrote:

I will highly appreciate if you can please share your
experience/remedies in similar situation.

I haven't got any personal experience with this (yet) but one
suggestion I read, which I thought was smart, was to set out a muffin
tin full of various yummy tidbits - maybe diced up pieces of ham in one
cup, peas in another, goldfish crackers in another, tangerine wedges in
another, cheese cubes in another, etc. and just put it in the vicinity
of where she is playing, and don't really make a big deal over it.
Tell her, "Oh, this food is just here, you can help yourself if you
want some," and then leave her alone.

Of course, you have to monitor so that you don't end up with a ham and
cheese sandwich in your couch, but otherwise, don't make a big stink
over it.

Also, make things into other things - my mom used to make faces out of
cottage cheese - a scoop of cottage cheese for the head, green olives
or grapes for eyes, a black olive or a dark grape for a nose, a red
pepper or a peach slice for a mouth, carrot shavings for hair, etc.
You could make little critters out of veggies and fruits, and see if
making them fun helps her want to eat them.

Another idea is to let her help you prepare things. I'm not sure what
a 13 month old could do to "help," but maybe she could stir something
or you could measure out ingredients and let her dump them into a bowl.
Allowing her to "help" may make her more excited about eating the
finished product.

Just remember that no kid has ever voluntarily starved herself to
death.

Good luck!
Amy

Old January 20th 06, 01:25 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Toddlers are like that! They will eat if they are hungry, it is more
important that they stay hydrated, and if they are drinking their milk
then that's good!

She could be cutting a tooth, or just generally bored with food. It is
very normal and not something to worry about! We've been through it
many times, there are still suppers where my daughter looks at the
plate and says "yuck" then continues playing. She will usually
compensate by drinking more milk or having some fruit before bed. She
is 27 months!

KR

Old January 20th 06, 02:11 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

My kids tend to eat in cycles. They pick a few, sometimes very few
foods that they beg for every day, then after a while get tired of them
and move on to other foods. There are a number of foods (including
peas) that my 14 month old used to love, but now takes out of her
mouth. Each of my 3 children has gone through an early stage of being
willing to eat many things, then become more particular. My oldest
happily ate salsa when she was little, then gave it up and began eating
it again at age 6.

When I look at the standard growth curves, it reminds me that growth
slows way down after the first year. If your daughter is nursing
well, so that you know she is getting enough, you may not need to
worry.

My 14 month likes to self feed, so I let her most of the time. I
frequently set a small plate or container of food for her on a kitchen
chair or stool. She can eat or play while I am working in the kitchen,
then I can clean her (and the floor) up. Sometimes she doesn't eat
any, sometimes one bite and somtimes she shoves fistfulls into her
mouth. I don't worry about whether whe eats it. She feeds herself cut
up noodles, thick oatmeal, cut up bits of orange, bits of sandwich cut
into strips or little bits of most things we eat. I usually save the
most messy foods for family meals, 1-2 times a day, then put her in her
high chair for them. I also give her food at the childrens table. She
loves to climb in a chair (for a short while) and feel like a big kid.
I've noticed that often, finding one cheerio is more exciting that a
whole plate of food.

--Betsy

Old January 20th 06, 03:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

New Mommy wrote:
Hi Parents -

My 13 month old daughter is not eating properly these days.

Welcome to your toddler. This is perfectly normal. Sometimes they don't eat
because it's one of the few things they can control. Sometimes they don't
eat because they're bored with eating. Sometimes they don't eat because they
aren't hungry. Sometimes they don't eat because something else is more
interesting. The important thing to remember is that they don't, generally,
starve themselves.

Keep offering meals but not fixate on eating or it will become a battle.

YoungBloke is, apparently, a good eater at nursery. At home he isn't. Over
Christmas I reminded myself daily that he would be going back to nursery
after a fortnight at home and no child will starve to death in 14 days...

Old January 20th 06, 09:12 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hi --

I'll agree with everything that everyone's said so far, with the
additional warning that if your toddler SUDDENLY stops eating, or
suddenly eats much less, you should go on the alert. It may be nothing,
it may be that your toddler is cutting an uncomfortable tooth, or it may
be something a touch more serious such as a head cold, ear infection, or
mild stomach bug. (If it were anything MORE serious than that you'd
certainly see other symptoms, either already or soon.) Any of these
mild discomforts can make your baby consume less than he or she needs.

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.